Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally cooled down in Vegas. I had a chance to take apart the stock intake system and made some observations that are THEORETICAL in nature only. Please....no flames.

Stillen and JWT (G35 version) are not "closed box" systems. They still draw air from within the engine compartment much like the Injen. But unlike the Injen, they still get some fresh air from the factory intake paths. Of course, this incoming fresh air is cooler.

Injen in CAI mode draws air from the bottom of engine bay. This area is not a "dead air " area. Keep in mind that the radiator fans are drawing massive amounts of air from outside of the grill and flushing it out to the bottom and exiting from the suspension openings and the rear towards firewall. So there is air circulating. I am not sure if removing the underbelly shield will make a lot of difference in the amount of air moved since the opening around the suspension and rear towards firewall are quite large. We may have a "positive pressure" area inside engine compartment from radiator fans forcing air out which may be a good thing! Take a look at your computer's cooling setup and you'll understand what I mean.

My thought on the Stillen and JWT is that the air will take the path of least resistance. Meaning, even though it gets some fresh air from the factory openings, the radiator fans are drawing much more air (stick your hand behind the fans and you'll see what I mean---BUT BE CAREFULL I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURIES. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) from the outside into the engine compartment. Since this is not a "closed box" sytem-it is sucking in this air

I understand that the air the radiator fans draw is warmed up since it has to pass through the radiator. So, I believe that the JWT/Stillen/Injen pretty much sucks in the same temperature air from within the engine compartment. The Stillen and JWT might be slightly lower and this may only be negligible.

This leads me to my final thoughts about the Injen:

1) Does the longer tubing have a negative effect?

2) How critical is the positioning of the MAF sensor? The JWT and Stillen has it at the factory location while the Injen has it higher upstream.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
so how is it that we are all coming to these well thought out conclusions, very similar in nature, yet R&D's , designers, others with degrees, etc . can't bring it to the table.......yet? / After todays results - JWT/Stillen/Injen ! - think it's time to redesign a complete CAI unit that works for awd/rwd? ...AEM could be watching/working too! - p.s. -good thoughts on the MAF, could be a factor!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Great observations Sincity. These are questions we'll ask later today in-between beers 8) , especially if we get results on my AWD similar to those that Dave got.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The position of the MAF could be critical..lots of questions and too few answers.Thanks for looking around.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
8 INCHES ! Sincity noticed that ! MAF: closer to engine heat ; further from air flow from center air scoop (like OEM/JWT/Stillen) and even f u r t h e r from "circulated engine hot air " (full Injen CAI) - could throw computer calibrations off, lots of variables? ...8 INCHES ! - VERY GOOD observation! ...so how is it sonoman1 is doing so well, or is he?

·
Registered
204 Posts
8" is a little light, don't u thin

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Dave's been hitting the margarittas pretty hard... :roll: Yes, we tested; I'll start the thread soon.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Great Call Sincity! best of everything with your super deal on a JWT / Z-tube! take pics. after the install (and STB) , let's compare them to bradical. / now we know what to put in front of the plenum! + CATS. & rest of exhaust to follow later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the JWT and Z-Tube shipped from an Ebay seller for $143.50 shipped which represents about a $60 savings from buying new at everythingg35.com. Seller claims it has been used for about 300 miles. Upon receiving the kit he may have mis-represented this fact since the blue tint of the filter oil is no longer there (he did not have an actual photo on Ebay). Other than that, everything is in excellent condition and he still had the instructions and JWT decals. For the price I cannot complain.....Hey, I used that $60 that I saved from buying new towards Insaneanime's 5-wire grounding kit. Overall, I still feel that the Stillen is much better made and looks stock. The quality of the JWT is "marginal" IMO. Though I would believe both pretty much perform the same. JWT is definately "Best Bang For The Buck". I do like the cone filter that JWT supplied better than the Stillen.

I have decided not to cut the accordion piece since I am not sure that you are able to buy just the accordion piece when you want to return everything to stock. I went to a muffler shop and they gave me (free :D ) a 3" x 3" (2 7/8" ID same as MAF) section of piping which I painted gloss black using 500 degree high temp paint. Sprayed on 6 coats and let it dry for 3 days. I am still waiting for my Blue silicone adapter (to match blue grounding wires) before installing the Z-Tube. I will have pics once everything is together.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Cool. Keep us posted! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Sincity

Where did you get your grounding kit from?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Thanks

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Really nice work..."mod the mod"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brnjugfx45 said:
Really nice work..."mod the mod"
Thanks!

I have been meaning to ask you. What kind of MOD is this: Level 10 mod valve body and full manual control of slap shifter,hi-stall converter

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I will pm you,described this elsewhere

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
moderator, quickly please tie these 2 threads from Sincity together as all will benefit from this. (unlike the last injen CAI fiasto) thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Thanks Piniti..we need a road map at times!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts