Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got everything apart, and the 4 bolts that hold the MAS were too short as they need to go through the Stillen box housing wall. Anyone have this problem? Called Stillen, and they said should fit, doesnt. Had to find some other bolts for mickey mouse install.

After getting everything back together, drove OK, not a huge difference, as I'm stilll breaking in FX. Dont want to run her to hard yet. Did notice not as silky smooth as before. More vibe in the pedal. Not bad, just subtle vibration at various RPM. Anyone else notice this?

Cannot figure out where to install the bolt they provided. Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My bolts were too short as well; had to pick up a set of M6X20 bolts and lock washers and it was fine. The long bolt they provide is to secure the bottom of the heat shroud to the frame in the G35 and is not utilized in the FX.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Dave Hi,

Regarding the bolts: one of the Stillen CAI / zTube install threads pointed out the need for 4 M6 x 20 MM allen bolts. I went that way and everything's been fine so far.

RE: Performance check out this thread:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... mpressions

Summary: Kick in the pants and big grin at wide open throttle after 3000 RPM. Even bigger grin if you do a zTube and something to the plenum.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Stillen sending me longer bolts. My install will work for now. What about the vibration I'm feeling?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Can you (summon all of your creative writing skills now :D ) describe the vibration a little more fully?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is stillen going to include the extended bolts the we all will need from the gb..??
Phil

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to explain, just feel it in the pedal more. Before install was so smooth you could not even feel the motor. Now it buzzes slightly.

Re: Bolts, If you call them, they might

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
gto-dave said:
Hard to explain, just feel it in the pedal more. Before install was so smooth you could not even feel the motor. Now it buzzes slightly.
Don't know never felt anything like that. Maybe I need to start driving barefoot. :wink:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha Ha. If anyone else noticed this, please chime in. Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove around a bit last night. I think maybe the vibration is a bit in my head, or maybe the ECU needs to adjust. Seems pretty smooth now. The motor really wants to suck air at first throttle. I love that sound. Then the delay, then rpm. Pretty cool. It's deff. more racey now. We'll have to see how it really reacts at high rpm. Just havnt been there yet as she only has 200 miles clocked in.

Does anyone know what type of oil comes from factory. I have an MDX, and everyone claims they put some sort of moly. additive in and state to keep it in for first run. I would like to go full syn, not sure when the best time would be.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
For all the members that just installed their new stillen intake, one thing I would do to feel the difference just from listening is open the hood and stand around the engine compartment and have a friend give it alot of gas and you can hear the the intake taking in all the air. I really liked how that sounded.

Jim my $0.02

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
gto-dave said:
The motor really wants to suck air at first throttle. I love that sound. Then the delay, then rpm. Pretty cool. It's deff. more racey now. We'll have to see how it really reacts at high rpm. Just havnt been there yet as she only has 200 miles clocked in.
Get yourself a zTube and a plenum or plenum spacer. Then you'll really smile.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Thats true too, but have to start somewhere.

But ones the mods start going in, to some it becomes a never ending process.

Jim :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Thats true too, but have to start somewhere.

But ones the mods start going in, to some it becomes a never ending process.

Jim :twisted:
Yep. No argument here. That's exactly where I started. Merely brought it up because I just went from CAI only to CAI zTube and spacer this weekend. I've had the same silly grin on my face since Sunday afternoon. 8)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple more days churning the butter under the hood. Seems as though ECU has adapted. Motor back to smooth again and sounding better than ever. Only curiosity is what it will do with the Z tube. I'm thinking that'll be the next mod.

** Re. training the ecu, as a new owner of basically 2 FX's in a matter of a month (gave the first one back), I'v e found it's best to run in manual mode only for the most part, shifting at the optimum points. I think the auto may even be tied in with the thoughts of your manual shifting. No. 2 FX has adapted to my style in the auto mode so quickly, while No. 1 FX got stuck in a grandma pattern. Not certain on this, but this is how it looks. Upside, what's an Automatic. Dont evn use it anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put my Stillen CAI on yesterday - forgot about the bolts being too short before I took everything apart so I had to put the old box back in and drive up to Lowe's to get longer bolts and lock washers.
Other than that setback, I also had to drill out 2 of the 4 holes on the Stillen box so the bolts would line up with M.A.S. I also found the pictures on the instructions to be very poor quality - couldn't see squat in most of the pictures. Also, where it attaches to the FX on the side with the bolt - I superglued four washers together to put between the FX and the plastic tab from the box because they didn't fit flat together and it seemed like the plastic may crack otherwise.

What is that black plastic box below the airbox that has a tube poking up into the airbox? It seems to be just a hollow box that goes nowhere. In case it does actually have some purpose I put a screw it the top of the tube to act as a ridge to help hold the bottom of the Stillen box down so they fit together correctly. Otherwise the tube wouldn't poke up through the hole in the bottom of the Stillen box like it is supposed to..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you had to make too many mods. My box fit in fine, and lined up pretty well. You may want to confirm that you received the correct one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you had to make too many mods. My box fit in fine, and lined up pretty well. You may want to confirm that you received the correct one.
As for the holes I drilled out - they just weren't fully and cleanly drilled from the factory - it's not that they were entirely in the wrong place or anything.
The Stillen box's tab (I guess it looks more like a wing) that extends from its side to be bolted to the FX is flat. The attachment point on the FX is raised on its edges so bolting the Stillen box to it makes the box's point of attachment bend down in the middle.

The tube that comes up from below the box (what is that thing?)and is supposed to poke in through that hole in the box is easy to line up and put in that hole by bending down the bottom of the box a little but it won't stay put by itself.

Am I the only one with these imperfections?
I don't think I got the wrong item - it just seems not as well designed and manufactured as it could be.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just installed mine today and ran into some very similar issues.

The 4 MAs bolts were too short, had to buy 4-M6x20mm bolts and washers.

The bottom portion of the heatshield is not connected to anything!! I pushed the drain tube through the hole but that is it!

It seems a little flimsy to me. I can physically wiggle the entire box right now and it seems to me that the bottom drain tube will just pop out one day.

1 bolt screwed in holding the ENTIRE heatshroud / MAS / Filter assembly does not seem like it is going to last. The two plastic spacers that hold the middle intake piece (above the radiator) aren't exactly the most stable soo the Stillen Shroud is NOT getting much support on the side facing the radiator either.....

Overall i am not too happy with the quality of the product, especially given the price! :roll:

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but hopefully paired with my Z-Tube and 1/2" Plenum Spacer the performance and growl will make up for the shoddy hardware.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
In regards to the 4 M6x20mm bolts.....

NONE of the Home Depots in my area carry Metric sizes!! I had to goto Auto-Barn aka rip-off barn and paid for 2 boxes of 3 M6x20mm bolts (they sold them in sets of 3!!!!)

and also had to buy a box of 10 6mm washers!!

Cost me almost $4.20 for darn bolts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.