Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wanted to compare the photos to confirm that the dealership privided me with the easy plug and play kit. Here is a photo of the harness that I was given.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, what an experience it was installing the OEM hitch with wiring harness. Actually, I guess it really wasn't that bad... would go a bit better if you have a helper to lift and hold pieces when installing. Took me about 5 hours to install the hitch and about another hour or so to install the wiring harness.

I now have to go to the muffler shop to have my Flowmaster 80 and the tips slightly adjusted... overall I'm pretty happy with how the installation went.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It looks to me like you got the build it yourself model wiring. They seem to have sent you the incorrect stuff. The correct harness comes ready to install. You need to check the part number. The correct number is, INF 999T8-EP000. I got mine for 79.20. List on the harness is, 99.00.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the opinion. I had a feeling it was a "build it yourself" kit. I'll be returning it to the Nissan dealer. Can I ask where you purchased yours?

·
Registered
77 Posts
http://www.google.com/search?q=999T8-EP ... =firefox-a
for the part... lots of links appear

I am about to put a hitch on mine.. I like how the online retailers of hitches list the time to install... 48 minutes or something.. arbitrary numbers pulled out of someones behind :D

Either way, will see how it goes. The most I will ever be towing is a small trailer of mulch or dirt, or maybe some wood (I do woodworking), so the 1 1/4 should be fine, although I would prefer a 2", but that would require an adapter for my bike rack.. which I do not trust (the adapter, not the rack with is on my camry at the moment... and would hate to destroy my bike... (its nice mtn bike that costs more then some cars...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very good post, I used the OEM wiring harness installation instructions along with these intstructions and found myself relying upon these photos and instructions more to make it all happen. It went perfect with the CURT hitch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does any one have the pics for the above sticky? Or is my work firewall just blocking them? I'm doing this install this weekend

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
ynkssws6 said:
Does any one have the pics for the above sticky? Or is my work firewall just blocking them? I'm doing this install this weekend
I think your firewall is the culprit. They show up fine for me.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes the OP hasnt been here since 2005 and his links probably are no longer valid. You can try PMing him or email but I dunno if you'll get a response...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the update on installing the Canadian harness. Any chance you know which fuse slot I need to locate to tap into the existing pwr wire you discussed in your post?

Thanks again

needmyfx

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Need pics=[

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alright, since I have gone through this myself and being in Canada, I also didn't like the "home made" wire harness which is total BS!! I actually laughed at the guys in the parts desk and said oops sorry i was looking for Infiniti not Canadian Tire.

Anways, I bought the hitch in buffalo, actually at the time I paid $379 with tax plus $40 at the border for duties and taxes (big deal), you're not going to hide that huge box from anyone unless you install it before the border... not like I did that ;) j/k. You'll have to drop your back seats just to fit it into the car! I think they made it just to fit in the FX perfectly. The plug n play wire harness was $95 and comes with really clear instructions. You'll have to remove your spare tire and the surrounding plastic moulding in order to get access to the plug underneath. Then you pull the wire harness through pre-made hole (originally plugged with a grommet) which has its own grommet to seal out the elements and then bolt it to the hitch. I love this setup, i'm so glad I took the time to drive out to buffalo to get this setup because they wanted $600 plus $100 to install and $100 for that fugly harness. $800 bucks for this? Are you kidding me??

Overall I did the install myself, the hitch comes with a thick instruction book, a replacement muffler gasket because you have to drop your muffler since the hooks that hold the muffler are removed and the hitch ends up holding the muffler afterwards. A key note, while you're under that section after you drop your muffler, you might as well rustproof. Get a can of rustproof or some undercar grease (The waterproof type) and mount your hitch.

I just remembered, when I was at the border paying my taxes, the guy asked where it was made, funny enough, on the box it had the sticker "MADE IN CANADA". I explained to him the story and we both laughed on how we make our own products, then charge twice the price but resell outside the country for a fraction.

BTW, those photos are popping up login/password windows for some site? I'm guessing wherever those photos are hosted, the host is not allowing this anonymous access or something's broken.

For the Canadian guys on here who want to do the wire harness, honestly don't bother with that crappy harness kit they provide. I have electronics background and when I look at the kit it even scares me. Simply because if something goes wrong, Infiniti won't cover you because you didn't want them to install it. Get the "JAPANESE" harness as that's plug and play and worry free. Installation by Infiniti Canada is around $80 from what I remember, which doesn't surprise me considering its soo labor intensive compared to the original one. Having Infiniti install it comes to $200 with taxes...I later called Infiniti Canada and asked them for a quote for the plug n play harness since I had the part number (Without it doesn't show on their system), it was around $180.

I took the liberty to sift through all my receipts and found the place and part numbers where I bought mine:

Note: If you're going to head out to pickup your hitch, you might as well pick up a bunch of other things for your car. For sure get touchup paint because its better and if you ask why? its beacuse its the same touchup paint that we had a few years ago with the brush and pen tip. Kinda like the Duplicolor ones at Canadian Tire but its a solid product. I hate these felt tipped touch up pens here in Canada. They A) make more of a mess than a touchup and B) after applying the base coat, you have to wait to do the clear coat ending up with a blob rather than a flat flawless touchup.

Autoplace Infiniti
8137 Main Street
Williamsville, NY
Phone: 716-633-9900

Hitch Part Number:
999T5-EP000
$349

Trailer Harness:
999T8-EP000
$99

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a side note, some of you may not want to drive down but think of it this way, order the parts, whatever you need and plan a trip there on the weekend. Take the wife, the kids, whoever and go shopping. Make it a trip, have fun, check things out, who knows, you might even score some other goodies. In the end, you got what you wanted for a great price and you had fun doing it. Enjoy! :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts