Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured someone may use this write-up, feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Remove the cover protector and fold down the rear seats.

Reference images of where each item is positioned.

With a 12mm socket and 6-inch extension, remove the bolts and pull out the spare tire cover.

Remove the spare tire/audio unit.

Using a towel or nylon tool, unlatch the clips located on the bottom and remove the rear scuff plate.

Reference images of jack placement position.

Using a 10mm socket, 6-inch extension and rachet, remove the two bolts, then remove the cargo hooks using nylon tool. Lift and remove the cargo hook.

Remove the jack.

Using a screwdriver remove the plastic retaining nuts on both sides of the vehicle.

Using a 10mm socket, 6-inch or 12-inch extension and rachet, remove bolts along the rear seat and panels.

Lift and slide the rear garnish forward.

Remove the driver side storage tray panel.

Remove the passenger side storage tray panel.

Using a nylon tool, slightly lift the trim panel and locate the exact clip attachment locations on the panels in two places.

Plug the 8-pin tow hitch interior wire harness connector to the convertor.

At this step of the installation it is important that the special self-tapping(included) ground bolt is used. The special self-tapping ground bolt is designed to ensure the convertor and the interior wire harness system has excellent ground connection. Locate the mounting and guide holes in the lower passenger side rear corner area of the compartment. Using a 10mm socket, 6 inch extension, mount the convertor.

On the driver side, Unplug the vehicle wire harness 12-pin connector from the tail lamp relay.

Plug the tow hitch interior wire harness 12-pin connector to the vehicle wire harness 12-pin connector.

Plug the to hitch interior wire harness 12-pin connector into the vehicle control unit.

Plug the tow hitch interior wire harness 1-pin connector to the vehicle wire harness 1-pin connector.

Completed new wire setup.

Route the wire along the edge of the interior.

Mount the ground wire.

Secure the wire with plastic ties(included)

Route the exterior wire from underneath the vehicle through a small opening located at the rear corner on passenger side.

View from the inside.

On the inside of the vehicle connect the exterior wire harness 4-pin connector to the tow hitch interior wire harness 4-pin connector.

Attach the heat shield and flat 4-pin connector mounting brackets; to the tow hitch receiver using 2 M6 bolts, washers, and nuts. Snug bolt and align the bracket so it is parallel to the chain plate. Using a 10mm socket, and a 10mm wrench, tighten the bolt.

Route the 4-pin exterior harness along the rear side of the two hitch receiver and secure the exterior harness using the 5 snap-in retaining clips.

Install the 30 amp fuse in the box located next to the battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The factory harness also comes with complete instructions that are pretty clear. The pictures do help. I just did my hitch and harness install this AM. It was pretty painless, only thing to be careful with is the interior trim clips.

·
Registered
624 Posts
jmukavit said:
EverythingFX.com is a dead website. Does anybody have a link or number to a company selling the wiring harness?
I got mine from my local Infiniti dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few questions for whoever can help me out:

1) Does anyone know which exact slot to put the 30A fuse into? I couldn't figure it out from the pic above.

2) Where does the ground wire bolt to?

Here in Canada the wire harness isn't this nice plug and play system, so I gotta piece things together myself.

Also.. does anyone have a PDF or a photo of the instructions for the harness? That would actually be VERY helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know from that last pic its hard to see the slot, but the fuse is located 3 slots to the right of that blue 15 amp fuse. If your car didn't come with a towing harness installed, there is a slot open.

The ground wire bolts inside the cabin as noted in the images below.

[/url]

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Nice write up. Made it a sticky!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow, what a life saver this post is!!! I swapped the tow harness from my 03 FX to my 05, and without this I would have been so screwed! Even with this bulletproof procedure and photos, I still almost forgot the 30 amp fuse at the end. Many, many thanks. What a great forum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
attn Canadian FX owners installing the wire kit.

Hey guys.

Instructions for Canadian FX owners who get the canadian spec two hitch + wire harness kit (Hoppy converter) from the dealer (doesn't have the plug-n-play wire harness mentioned by the original poster)

Since it's not a nice plug and play setup, you'll need to tap into some wires to get the various signals needed by the converter. Here's the list of the wires you need to tap into from the wires that go into the rear combination lamp controller (original poster calls it the "tail lamp relay")

Right Turn - Purple
Left Turn - Orange
Brake - Pink
Tail - Red

For the power wire, you don't need to run a wire to the battery. There's an existing red wire near the combination lamp controller which has a connector doesn't plug into anything (it's intended for the plug n' play tow harness). This wire comes off the battery and is fused, but as mentioned earlier, the fuse slot will be empty in the fuse box by the battery. My coverter kit came with a 20A fuse, but it's the regular size one. The fuses on the FX are mini fuses, so you'll need to buy a mini fuse.

I hope this helps!

Cheers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was actually looking into getting the hitch and harness from the dealership but they quoted me $600 for the hitch and $100 for the harness. So I called Infiniti in New York and they quoted me $345 for the hitch and $100 for the harness.

The dealer there was soo nice that he even told me the hitch is made by Hidden Hitch. Which in turn ends up being $265 =D WOOHOO now we're talking!

So I went over to Infiniti here in Toronto to get the plug n play harness and they showed me a kit that looks like it came from Canadian Tire...erm i'm sorry I wanted the "INFINITI" harness..I ended up not getting the harness, why? I'm not ripping apart my car and damaging wires just to hook up some BS setup that's not factory. They didn't even have the instructions...soo lame. So I'm planning another road trip to the states to get my harness as well as going shopping =D Thank GOD USA!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
You do realize the hitch sold by Hidden Hitch on the open market is only a 1 1/4" receiver, right? The 2" is only sold by Infiniti dealers as far as I can tell (they do not list a 2" under available hitches for the FX).

·
Registered
2 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
You do realize the hitch sold by Hidden Hitch on the open market is only a 1 1/4" receiver, right? The 2" is only sold by Infiniti dealers as far as I can tell (they do not list a 2" under available hitches for the FX).
the aftermarket Curt hitch is a 2" receiver as well, usually sold by u-haul and online at places like JC Whitney.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
jwcass said:
the aftermarket Curt hitch is a 2" receiver as well, usually sold by u-haul and online at places like JC Whitney.
Yeah, I was only referring to the hitches available by Hidden Hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 06 FX35 from the U.S. and imported into Canada last September. I recently discovered this site...great source of info. I've just purchased a tow hitch wiring harness kit from a Nissan dealership and would like to install myself (dealership wanted $360 for labour). The photos from this "how to" thread seem to have been deleted (perhaps they took up too much room). I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to re-post the photos.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
If you have the directions that should have been included with the harness, they are detailed enough that you will not have a problem. It's pretty easy and self-explanatory once you have gained access to where the harness connects/mounts.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts