Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup? Got my Injen RD1995 from UPS today. Was going to wait until the weekend to put it in...but I caved! 8)
My initial impressions:

The build quality is excellent. No el cheapo plastic, all polished and pretty. The parts go together great. Well thought out and engineered by Injen.

The instructions were adequate, not stellar. But, even a hack like me managed to get it together. I have no wrenching experience at all!

The full CAI filter tucks into the fender well. As Injentech said, it is a good 2 feet off the ground. As for the dreaded hydrolock? Well, a midget has a better chance of becoming president than you getting hydrolock with this CAI. The whole floor is covered except for a two inch diameter hole. However, if you look at the front of your FX there is a large lip underneath, I guess to keep water away from that hole. Seems like it should do the trick. Now if you try to fjord a stream you are going to have some problems with the CAI but that will just be one of many problems should you decide to try that!

No one warned me that the MAF sensor uses Torx bolts! I had to take them off with pliers! I gotta get a torx wrench tomorrow!

Exhaust growl is definately louder at lower RPMs. I am nixing my plans to get an aftermarket exhaust. The increased airflow really makes the stock exhaust sound like a monster! More than adequate for my needs at this point. Aggresive sound at a moderate volume.

Engine seems to rev a little quicker. Intake has a distinct growl to it.

Engine dynamics have absolutely changed for the better. To what extent I may need another day or two for that. The first five minutes of driving were so-so. The last ten minutes were great! Maybe my ECU was getting acquainted?

All in all, a great entry level mod. I would post pics but Injentech already has. My setup looks exactly the same.

Nice job Injen! Dave, whats the hold up? We gotta compare notes!

8)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Great that you can do the install yourself, post some pics.

jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one more thing...

Just so you know you can convert it to short ram also. Haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
WAY! I think you have After Fx and I salivating down here in Lancaster. Take it for a ride, come on down. did ya end up getting it from that $240 post in AZ.?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I feel like Pavvloc's dog. Drooling about the mouth profusely. Thanks for the insight sonoman1. I had no idea that the CAI would have an effect on the exhaust note. Nice! I have a Torx set, I'll bring along - unless MGFR has one. Did you have to drill anything out? or force-fit anything? Where were the instructions lacking?
Thanks again and a special thanks to fx343 for being our true guinnea pig.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, deffinitely bring your torx set along; I forgot you had to remove the MAF from it's stock housing to transplant into the steel Injen tube. We should be set on anything else we need.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Heat Shield?

Sonoman1 did you get the infamous Heat shield? After your install, can you access whether it will do any good at keeping engine heat away from the filter? Sounds like the intake is quite a distance from the engine. I've briefly looked at it, and it appears to be a cylinder (which bolts over the filter portion) with about a 120 degree opening. I assume so that it can be rotated to face away from engine, or radiator or where ever the closest heat source would be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No drilling or force fitting of any kind. It really just bolts right in. Injentech was right the only hard part is getting the stock intake out. There is a resonator below the stock filter that was a little tricky but really thats it. The instruction pictures are in black and white and are about 3 inches across so they are a little hard to see especially the one that shows you where to put one of the included vibramounts (which was a nice addition might I add).

I can talk a little bit more about the performance since I let it breathe a little on my morning commute. Low rpm torque is a LOT more noticeable. Once again the stock exhaust now just sounds amazing! I can now rev it up in neutral and let off the gas and hear that backflow/burbling sound you hear on real tuners. Real subtle though. Can't really say much about high end yet (I only topped out about 60mph this am) There is some higher pitch intake growl when I do high speed accelerations which is very unique. Dave and MGFR, let me know if you hear something like this. It sounds really cool. I just want to make sure that is how it should be. All the connections are tight. Power curve has totally changed for the better, still gotta test pilot it some more... Anyone know how much time you should give a rebooted ECU? Maybe 15 minutes or so?

I wish I could compare it to the popcharger or stillen but in my neck of the woods I think I am the only FX owner who has even opened his hood! So I can't say if it is better or worse. I got mine for $280 at overboost, should have waited a day or two for that $240 price! $240 is a nice price which gets it closer to the stillen w/z tube price. I don't think I got ripped off at all. Especially since I didn't need the Z tube.

Stillen strut tower brace should be here by tuesday. I'll make sure I get pics of that, that is a real simple install I think I'll let my 7 year old do it...NOT! After that...Plenum! Now if I could just find a AWD dyno someday...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naw, I didn't get the heat shield. I still don't know if I believe in 'em. The filter is quite a ways away in the full CAI. In fact, it is about as far away as it could be placed in the engine compartment. One thing that is interesting is after my test drive the intake tubing was only slightly warm while the plenum was its usually too hot to touch. So, I dont think all the engine heat automatically transfers to the intake. And I drove for about 30 min! I guess the heat shield may depend on personal preference, I just couldn't justify the $50 bucks on it. If it gets cheaper I may get it for looks.

One other thing. Take that plastic plenum cover off for this install unless you have 10 fingers on each hand!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Will do & I'm sure that MGFR is keeping track of this too. The WOT runs before and after will be good to doc. What I really want is to feel a difference - in the seat of my pants! Am I being overly optimistic?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Sonoman1, I'm glad you were happy with with our system. The exhaust tone is definately a little more aggressive! Enjoy your new system and congratulations on doing the install yourself!

If I can be of any help, let me know!

:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
CAI

Wow, Sounds great....Injentek.......any news on availability for the FX45 ??

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fx45 is still on our list! We're trying to get that done asap, schedule permitting of course. When we engineer a performance part we take as much time as we can, in order to compensate for any variables. There's a lot R&D involved in our product, to ensure you guys get what you pay for! :) I will post an announcement once we start the FX45!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
DAVESNELLING said:
Will do & I'm sure that MGFR is keeping track of this too. The WOT runs before and after will be good to doc. What I really want is to feel a difference - in the seat of my pants! Am I being overly optimistic?
Yup, I'm watching. It'll take the ECM several days of normal driving to fully adjust, so if we do some before and after G-Tech runs, it'll likely not show the intake's full potential, but hard to tell. I anything, it'll give us an excuse to get together agian later for some more runs! 8)

I've looked down in there as well, and I don't believe the heat sheild is necessary, given the placement of the filter in the FX.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Torx bolt...

One more thing... the proper torx size is a t-20 star bit. You can get it at any auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
If you are feeling this good about the CAI,I encourage you to rethink the exhaust.Motors are air pumps, improve in,improve out they work together!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks Sonoman1. I came home today and couldn't find my set. Borrowed a set from neighbor. It has a slew of em. T9-T40. We can tear anything up. My neighbors is an anti-tamper set. Even has the ones that the cable companies use to keep us out of their boxes. The ones with a post in the center. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brnjug, I am still going to get an exhaust at some point it's just that the need is not as pressing anymore. Plenum is now at the top of the list!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brnjug, I am still going to get an exhaust at some point it's just that the need is not as pressing anymore. Plenum is now at the top of the list!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sonoman1: Congratulation on your purchase of Injen’s CAI! After having/using it in my car for the last three months, it has proven to be a well-designed product that contributes in both vehicle performance efficiency and engine aesthetics. In fact, I just return from a 10 day vacation where I drove my FX from home/So California to Laughlin, Nevada, then to the Grand Canyon, Arizona, then back to Las Vegas, Nevada, finally returning home – around 800 miles.

After having brunch and checking-out of the hotels, I drove during mid-day thru mostly deserts with temperatures around 103-108 degrees! With the AC continuously on and cruise control set at 80 MPH, I averaged 17.9 MPG (according to my display). Respectable I think considering the extra weight of an AWD car, tow package, three others, and the car loaded in the back.

However, the best consistent MPG readings (I am still in the evaluation mode) are between 25 - 28.5. I received/displayed when driving at 60 mph during morning hours on the flat So Cal freeways.

Regarding vehicle performance – the car continues to run excellent. Paul at Injen warned me that my ECU may need re-set after 1-2k miles because Nissan cars are efficiently designed and very sensitive to change. I have yet to experience any CAI-related problems after 4000 miles of use.

Finally, just before my trip, I had my oil changed at a local Infiniti dealership. The mechanic made a point too come out and inquire about Injen’s CAI; commented its excellent design and looks.

The bottom line is Injen’s CAI has proven to me to be a cool modification that improved my vehicle performance – no regret for being the ginnie pig at all!

To DaveSnelling: My apology for not responding to your post in a timely manner but I have been away from my computer.

Jim

1 - 20 of 69 Posts