Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I installed a GROM VL2 in my 2016 QX50. (The QX forums are sparse so I am posting here)

I followed their videos and now the car won't start. (I don't think that it is the battery as I hooked up a portable jump starter)

When I go to start it, things "turn on" but nothing happens. Everything is locked up and unresponsive. I hear the fans kick on as well. At this point, I can't shut it off. I have to disconnect the battery.

I took everything apart and removed the VL2. The car still has the same issues.

Any ideas?

Also, I had the battery connected while installing. I disconnected it but then reconnected so that I can shift out of park. I shut the car off to do the work, but had left the battery connected.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Checked all the fuses in the driver's footwell and the ones in front of the battery. All good.
Plugging in a cheapo OBDII reader wouldn't work. Was unable to communicate. (Ugghhhh!!!)

So I disconnected the entire stereo and HVAC (I left the shift panel/bezel connected). And the car starts! But it isn't right. The instrument panel has a bunch of lights on. (Hopefully this is because of the center console electronics being disconnected).
And the OBDII reader was able to connect. Got a couple of codes. (Again, not taking these seriously with the center console missing).
But, I wasn't able to turn it off. Ugghh!!! I found that if I press the ignition button a few times it will turn off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update2:

OK....Nominate me for the Darwin award. The module that is just above the stereo (hidden internally...is this the BCM?) has the same exact connectors as the stereo. Actually, this is pretty stupid on Nissan's part so I am not taking 100% of the blame. So when I connected the connectors to the proper location everything seems to work ok now. Except the airbag light above the fuel gauge is flashing.

Thoughts on this light?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I was thinking of adding the Grom to mine to replace the relatively primitive USA-Spec adapter that I have right now. How is the functionality on it? what kind of options does it give you?

The airbag light is probably on because of the other connector that you used initially. Likely one or more of the airbag harnesses run wires through there. You will have to reset it. Try this:

Airbag SRS Light Reset.

1. Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position (Do not start the vehicle).
2. All cluster lights will come on (Diagnostic Mode).
3. As soon as the Airbag light turns off, switch the car off. (Be sure to turn the ignition switch off before the airbag light starts flashing).
4. Repeat steps 1-3 (2) more times and the flashing light should stay off.

This is copied from a post by FXLR8 over at InfinitiScene.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for that info. I tried it but all it does is change the behavior of the light.
If I run that procedure, it goes from flashing to off for a few seconds.....solid on for a couple of seconds.....2 flashes...off...repeat. If I run that procedure again, it goes back to constant flashing. (I'll start up a new thread about this issue)

I have a Grom in another car. (2011 Acura MDX). It isn't a ton of fun in that car because it doesn't have a touchscreen.
So far having a touchscreen is infinitely better. I'll chime back in once I get some miles on this system.

One thing that does suck is that if you want to use your phone (for a call) and the Grom at the same time, you need to use the phone through the Grom. You need to unpair the bluetooth from the factory system. This means you'll need to run a mic (which is supplied).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts