Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I take my FX into get tinted at Alta Mere. On pick up I notice a blue pen mark across the leather of the door (where it meets the door jam.)

Needless to say they say they didn't do it b/c "there guys wouldn't lie." or maybe it was there from the dealer, or I did it. I said wtfe and after about 15 minutes they finally agreed to pay for the detailing to get it off. I went to the detail shop and it didn't come out after many different cleaning agents were used. They said it was scratched too deep and that it would need to be dyed at another detail shop.

What I'm envisioning is Alta Mere crawfishing on their commitment to do right after they realize this is gonna cost them a nice coin.

So, what I'm wondering is there any product that could get ink off of the leather without bleeding the color out?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking doing the least intrusive measure. All I know is that a verbal agreement to allow one shop to do it may not carry over the next day. Especially when they realize that a small cost to clean an interior goes to either dying it or replacing.

All I'm doing is being cautious and seeing if there is a product that can get the ink out. Especially, god forbid, my 7 yr old decides to do a mural on the back of me seat one day.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
one more

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lv_househ ... 03,00.html

DIYnetwork said:
Leather should be kept out of direct sunlight.

Leather should be cleaned regularly. First, use a soft cloth or micro-fiber cloth to dust the surface (figure A). Saddle soap works beautifully on leather.

Another option for cleaning leather is to take a damp cloth, wipe it across moisturizing soap and lather the leather. Don't rinse -- buff for a nice shine.

Remember: When removing spots from leather, always test any cleaning method on an out-of-the-way spot first.

One tip for removing spots from leather is to dip a cotton swab into rubbing alcohol and rub the spot. This can work for removing ink spots (figure B) as well. If this doesn't work, you can use non-oily cuticle remover. (Note: That is "cuticle" remover, not nail-polish remover.) Leave it on overnight and wipe it off with a damp cloth.

To remove normal spots from leather, use the following Royal homemade recipe:
1 part lemon juice
1 part cream of tartar

Simply work the paste into the spot with a soft cloth, and if soils remain after working it in, let it sit for a few hours. Come back and apply a little more paste, work it in and wipe clean.

Water spots can be removed from leather by moistening the area again with a little water, let it dry or gently blow dry. Never place leather in the sun to dry.

To remove road salt from leather (could be on shoes, coat, etc.), try this simple recipe:
1 part water
1 part white vinegar

Take a cloth and dip into the solution, blot over the shoes or coat lightly to remove the salt. You may have to do this several times to clean the entire surface. When you finish they should look almost like new (figure C). Be sure to wipe leather shoes with a damp cloth frequently, and keep them well polished with a paste.

To keep leather supple, use the following homemade recipe (a Hide Food concoction) from the Queen:
1 part white vinegar
2 parts linseed oil
Jar with a lid

Pour the solution into a jar with a lid, shake well and apply to the leather with a soft cloth. Let it sit for 12 hours and buff. If the cloth starts to soil, be sure to change it often. Store the leftover solution for future usage.

Removing spots on suede is a whole different problem. For suede shoes, try an art gum eraser first and if that doesn't do the trick, use undiluted white vinegar on a soft cloth, and be sure to blot -- never rub when cleaning suede. Once the spot is gone, take a shoe brush and rework the nap of the suede. Let dry.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much! I'll just grab my hair spray :lol: , if you've seen my pic you'd laugh even harder, and get to work on it

Thank god for girlfriends :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
if it dont work, you can set it on fire. ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ujmot said:
if it dont work, you can set it on fire. ;)
I'm going to set Alta Mere on fire

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help on this. Just for future reference ball point pen on leather is a biatch to get out. None of the methods worked. They did end up lightening it up a bit but didn't remove. So I'm going to a leather restoration/mender shop that specializes in this. It will require the area to be dyed to match.

Just hope this doesn't happen to your FX.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FX-1004 said:
could you take picture of the before and after?
I'll assume you mean the before and after when I get them to dye the leather right? If yes then sure I'll take a pic tomorrow and then after they finish the job.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before pic is after 1 hour of a professional cleaning it. The after was taken today when Leather Menders of Austin fixed it. Great job and now I know where to go for any leather issues. Only took 20 minutes...

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before pic didn't show how bad it really was. Blame it on the camera man... But then again, on a brand new vehicle, any pen mark in your vehicle is bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.