Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "finally" got my 20" wheels and tires on today after an exhausting 3 months of aggrivation! First, i bought just the 20" tires from someone here which was a very painless ordeal (great guy btw). I did this cause i noticed that usually you find just the wheels for sale and not the tires so when i saw that there were virtually new tires for sale here i bought them and then set out to find a set of 20" wheels. What do you suppose were the first set i found? yup, a full set of wheels and tires 20" oem in georgia. i bought them on ebay (turns out this seller was a good person, very trustworthy thank goodness!), so he ships me these wheels & tires to western canada here.....after weeks of waiting, customs hassle and fees, i finally got them in the end of dec just before heading to CA for xmas. when i got home, i took these wrapped up wheels and tires (already mounted) to a tire store......never having looked at them, the tire dude came out to the waiting area and informed me that they were the same 18" wheels and tires i already had on the vehicle. sure enough, this seller had shipped me the wrong set. he has a tire store so he got them mixed up. now i had to rewrap them, ship them back and wait for him to get me the right set.....which he checks and a couple days later tells me he already sold that set. he refunds my money and i find another set of just wheels that i buy and have installed today! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! it looks great btw!

anyways, the tire monitors on these wheels are bolted on at the valve stem and are VERY easy to put on or take off. so just in case any of you are wondering about it......it's the easiest job to put them on and off.....they are about the size of a small cell phone that's cut in half, and yes, they are remote, so there must be a battery in there.

cheers,

jlliswell 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i still have my 18"s.....i'm thinking of selling them now. they have like 5500 kms on them and that's all. great unmarked, new condition in case anyone is wondering....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, i'll try to post some tomorrow of the new rims. man, i've waited so long for this day it seems......i'm just pumped at the new look!!! man i love these fricken vehicles. really! i've had over 100 vehicles in my lifetime (a lot of those were pieces of sh*te btw) and i've never loved one more than this vehicle.....it's so nice to have a vehicle that you're proud of! **i sound like a proud father don't i? hehehehe

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, the 20" wheels look SO much better than the 18's, especially the color. Here are my new 20"s with Toyo Proxes S/T. Make sure you clean the snow out of the rims if some gets packed in there, they really throw these big wheels out of balance in a hurry.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow! that's a serious pile of snow there!

i will try to post a pic of the new wheels on the beast but i just got this new apple computer (g5 20" *sweet*) and have to put on a bunch of software still like my digital camera stuff.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrat's on the wheels. They look nice. Isn't it amazing how 18 inch wheels look small on the car and the 20 inchers really make the car standout. 10 years ago 16 inch wheels were the hot ticket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you dont mind me asking... how much did you pay for the rims? and also shipiing and customs... i too live in canada and am looking to get a second set orf rims... but looking fopr chromies. just wondering what shipping will be like.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For the tire pressure monitors, do they need to reset if you swap another set of rims that also already has the monitors installed?

Does the screen just listen to the nearest 4 tires and report-in the psi?

:idea: If you drive down a highway, and ride next to another FX, can you read their tire pressure? Too bad we don't have one of those auto-air inflators like the hummer. Then for us FX35 people we could let the air out of the FX45 tires in a race :)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
moved by me :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks shadyjc :D

as for the question of whether the tire pressure monitors needing to reset.....i'm not sure if they do? after i swapped the monitors from my 18" wheels over to the 20" wheels, i immediately checked the screen to see if they worked. within about 1/2 block they did. it's a very easy process....much easier than i though it would be.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Jillswell,
I Canada the 2003 FX45 20" only came in the regular finish. In 2004 they introduced the " Gun metal" finish I call it. Now, in 2005 we have Chromies.

:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
ps

I am glad you got that rubber rolling finally !!! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I read a TSB that says the ESM (electronic service manual) states incorrectly that the tire pressure sensors need to be reprogrammed/reinitialized during a tire rotation.

So I think you're correct in that the car will auto adjust.. even tho I just called the service manager at the local dealership who tried to tell me I had to bring my car in for that when I want to do a rotation. What a jerk. I swear they're either just jerks to get extra cash, or really are dumb and don't keep up with the current news!

·
Registered
789 Posts
The sensors definately work after a rotation without reprogramming. The only problem is the new location of the wheel still reads on the old display location. So, yes it would have to be reprogrammed to show the correct wheel location in relation to the display location.
Infiniti could have made easy money on selling that issue if they had taken the time to have the display show what wheel location the display was showing.
We and Infiniti are both correct on this issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.