1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
dont forget that chris bangle should easily bastardize the 7 series even more again if they do go for a re-fresh.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I got to drive the BMW 545ia and the 745i at Houston's recent Lexus Taste of Luxury event. It is being charitable to say that I was not impressed - no way would I ever consider such a piece of "@*^&" car. My wife was not as charitable as I was - she said that you could not pay her to own one.!! I truly could not understand how anyone would pay $70K+ for one of those "things" :roll:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
I got to drive the BMW 545ia and the 745i at Houston's recent Lexus Taste of Luxury event. It is being charitable to say that I was not impressed - no way would I ever consider such a piece of "@*^&" car. My wife was not as charitable as I was - she said that you could not pay her to own one.!! I truly could not understand how anyone would pay $70K+ for one of those "things" :roll:
are they really that bad!? ... im not partial to bangle's designs, but i always thought that BMW had nice well built interiors (and of course the BMW driving experience)...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
bradical said:
are they really that bad!? ... im not partial to bangle's designs, but i always thought that BMW had nice well built interiors (and of course the BMW driving experience)...
First we did NOT like the looks or feel of the interiors at all. Quite simply it didn't "feel" like a $70 car. Second the control layouts are horrible - especially the i-Drive daisy wheel. We were probably one of the few drivers who wanted to keep up with a ball-game score while we were at the event; so while everyone else cranked up the Bose/MK/whatever stereo systems we switched to AM to follow the game - the three BMWs (545ia, 745i, X5) were the ONLY cars we could NOT even figure out to to use the radio :roll: When a driver has to read the owners manual to change from FM to AM radio and to adjust the volume THAT IS TO **** COMPLICATED!! (pardon my french).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you msu79gt82. I took a 545 for a test drive during Susan B. Komen Cancer Drive and was very disappointed. I also drove a 330 with a performance package and had mixed feelings.

Is it me or are German car makers doing worse and worse? BMWs are looking terrible and they break. Mercedes just cancelled free maintenance program (I do however like their designs)... New VW Jetta is really fugly, R32 Golf is way overpriced and does not deliver compared to competition (Evo and Sti)... Audi is doing fairly well with their new design but they are the exception.
Again, this is my personal opinion and I understand that some might disagree...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
msu79gt82 said:

I was at the Lexus event also with MGFR and 2Fast4U. However, I got banned from any further driving after doing a power slide on the course in a IS300...:p

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
My Wife and I have had our '04 330xi for over a year now, which she drives 90% of the time. We have owned numerous Sport/Luxury cars. I must say, we are impressed with the handling, fit and finish of the car...no problems here! :D The upcoming '06 3-Series may be a different story.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Off topic... Does Lexus still do this event? I couldn't find about it from its web site.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
topguy said:
Off topic... Does Lexus still do this event? I couldn't find about it from its web site.
I just went to the one in Houston in early November; so they are "still" doing them - however I do not know if they plan to "continue" doing them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've never been impressed with BMW for quality, fit, finish nor ergonomics. I was even surprised at the mix bag of the latest gen M3 with it's cheap plastic controls and 80s graphics displays. I've also mentioned before why does BMW persist with that incessant red blob infrared sensor design below the mirror? However, they uniformly have great handling characteristics and driver feedback right out of the box regardless of which model series. Their engines are free-revving and flexible as well. We're not even referring to the "M" models.

Now, with the new 5/7 series and soon 3-series, I feel that they have a very disappointing interior as far as layout, material quality and ergonomics again. They simply do not feel high-quality or exude high-class. I'd love to own a BMW for the "sports" and "GT" aspect although everything else steers me to better vehicles within the competition. The Z-8 was the only vehicle that striked some passion in me as well as the "technology" of the new E46 M5.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Whaaaat?! Man, I've always wanted a 745!

Oh, and I like the Bangle-ized styles. I'd give my left nut for a new 6-series convertible!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
its obvious that bangle has really polarized people on the styling. some folks love it and some hate it. although i dont like the over all styling, i do have to say that the 6 series is growing on me too.

im waiting for the 3 series coupe to come out and see what they did there. i still cant get past the 5 series tho

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
RU_MATRX said:
Now, with the new 5/7 series and soon 3-series, I feel that they have a very disappointing interior as far as layout, material quality and ergonomics again. They simply do not feel high-quality or exude high-class.
I'm with you on the Bangle designed models. We looked at the newly designed 5 series when they first arrived...not thoroughly impressed. I'm curious to see how the new 3-Series turns out...hopefully without the "I-Drive".

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
kcrudup said:
Sister-in-law just got a 745i about a month ago, it's ok, definitely nice but not especially impressive. 6-series looks really hot too... but based on past experience I've sworn off European cars - never again!

·
Registered
138 Posts
ShadyJC said:
kcrudup said:
I've sworn off European cars - never again!
Have you ever driven/owned a 911? Watch out, they're addictive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts