Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Service Interval option do you all follow?

Premium Maintenance
(Every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first)

Premium Maintenance is an Infiniti recommended option that was developed for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance. With this schedule more maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with the other schedules.

Schedule 1
(Every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first)

This schedule offers the same service intervals as the Premium Maintenance; however, with this schedule there are fewer items regularly checked or replaced.

Schedule 2
(Every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first)

This schedule offers the least frequent service intervals; with even fewer items regularly checked or replaced.

If you follow Schedule 1- how do you know when to change the Tranny and Differential Fluids since the schedule never actually tells you?
[/b]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Premium - 3750, this is a $40,000 + car, prior to this I was used to every 3000 mi, so even this seems a little lax and somewhat uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
depends on if you lease or own the car :)

seriously though, ... i always do oil changes every 3000 miles. and tires every 6-7500 miles.

on top of that the next big thing is the air filter (which i do myself since i have the JWT).

all of the other stuff needs to be disected a bit. my neighbors are both in the car biz and one of them is a manager of a service shop for the last 17 years. he basically told me that most of the stuff on those service schedules is just free money for the service dept.

he suggested that i always do oil and tires regualrly and look at the items in the other BIG maintenance service items. a lot of the inspection things are not very important every 7500 miles and can be done every 15K or moreso, 30K miles.

i selectively tell the dealer what i want done.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when do you "selectively" decide to change the tranny and differential fluids?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I do the 3750 one.

I have tires rotated every other one.

I have the drive fluids changed annually or 12K miles, whatever comes first.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FXcellent said:
So when do you "selectively" decide to change the tranny and differential fluids?
those things i do when it tell me to. thats what i meant by selectively... i.e.. certain things in each recommended maint are more obvious to do than others.

i just check what the price is to do certain things alone instaead of in the entire service package. a lot of times its significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lease Maintenance

I am leasing my FX for 36 months. Do i have an obligation to do a special Maintenance, or i can choose the one i want and where i want it to do?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm curious as well. Being a paranoid freak, I would probably opt for the Premium even though some of the "checks" are a little on the excessive side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get the whole 3750 or 3 months, whichever comes first, but I only drive about 3500 miles a year. Is the time period really that important? Is waiting 1 year too long to change the oil when I drive less than the recommended mileage?

I have a 3 year old G35 coupe with 9700 miles on it. I took it in at the 3 month point with 600 miles and was told by the service manager that it wasn't worth changing the oil. I'm just going by "their" recommendations. If they don't follow them, who should?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Why change oil with 600 miles on it?!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I go as much as 6K miles between oil changes. I dont even think about it till it hits 5K. Then it sometimes takes another 1K before i find time to go change it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
05fxguy said:
I go as much as 6K miles between oil changes. I dont even think about it till it hits 5K.
You've turned off your oil-change "Nag" screen?

·
Registered
462 Posts
kcrudup said:
05fxguy said:
I go as much as 6K miles between oil changes. I dont even think about it till it hits 5K.
You've turned off your oil-change "Nag" screen?
I just extend it out when it first comes on at the 3K mark the dealer always sets it to.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quick :?: :

I'm going in for my 30K maintenance service this Saturday, but decided to only have the oil changed with my supplied Mobil 1 and coolant flushed...$150.00.
I asked them if the auto trans fluid ($350.00) should be done and they recommend it to be done each and every year. I haven't had mine done since I purchased my FX. Both my brothers who work in the auto business, one in parts dept. (Volvo/Ford) and the other in service (BMW) both say to wait.
Should I get it done or wait until my 60K maintenance service?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
infx35 said:
Quick :?: :

I'm going in for my 30K maintenance service this Saturday, but decided to only have the oil changed with my supplied Mobil 1 and coolant flushed...$150.00.
I asked them if the auto trans fluid ($350.00) should be done and they recommend it to be done each and every year. I haven't had mine done since I purchased my FX. Both my brothers who work in the auto business, one in parts dept. (Volvo/Ford) and the other in service (BMW) both say to wait.
Should I get it done or wait until my 60K maintenance service?

Thanks for any feedback! :)
Anyone...? :roll:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just turned over 30k miles on my 05. I have no intention of flushing the transmission yet. I have my own mechanic do my service. Generally if you tow with your vehicle you shorten the life of the transmission fluid and the transmission itself. Heat is the real issue. I generally do a transmission power flush ever 60 to 75 thousand miles. 30 sounds rediculous. I would wait and save your money if I were you. 8)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
I just turned over 30k miles on my 05. I have no intention of flushing the transmission yet. I have my own mechanic do my service. Generally if you tow with your vehicle you shorten the life of the transmission fluid and the transmission itself. Heat is the real issue. I generally do a transmission power flush ever 60 to 75 thousand miles. 30 sounds rediculous. I would wait and save your money if I were you. 8)
Thanks for the feedback! :)
Looks as if I'm going to wait on this...should I be aware of anything else that should be done?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts