Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday MGFR and I were discussing tranny upgrades available on the Z that would change the final drive gear ratio for our trannies. For the FX35 AWD, the stock final drive gear ratio is 3.69.

Essentially, a higher final drive gear ratio would increase acceleration and pulling power but would decrease fuel economy. The engine would have to run at a higher rpm to maintain an equal cruising speed. A lower ratio would reduce acceleration and pulling power but would increase fuel mileage. The engine would run at a lower rpm while maintaining the same speed.

Here's a link to a mod that would push the 6-speed 350Z and G35 gear ratios to 3.917 from stock 3.538.

http://performancenissanparts.com/catal ... ts_id=2087

The Z-boys claim that the car feels at least 200lbs lighter with this mod...:)

Stll checking to see if there are mods that are available for our 5-speed autos but there is potential for added gains in our trannies in addition to VB and TC upgrades I would think.

Since we all use the same trannies as the Z and G, would this be a worthwhile venture for the FX? Any issues with AWD?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Same tranny, yes, but same rear end? I don't know. Did you happen to find what the stock final drive gearing is on an auto G/Z? I didn't thing about AWD... that very well may be an issue...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MustGoFastR said:
Did you happen to find what the stock final drive gearing is on an auto G/Z?
Sure did. 3.357. Here they are:

2003 - 2004 Nissan 350Z

R200 MT 3.538
R200V MT 3.538
R200V AT 3.357

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My guess,since I played with the Nismo LSD on my FX45(diff fit,not collars),the ring and pinion for the Z,G and FX35 should all be the same.So all you need to do is find a competent mechanic to set up the new ring and pinion.Yes,there will be an increase in acceleration and yes,there will be a loss of mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '05 FX45 and I want to increase the gear ratio. Are you saying that the G35x tranny will work for the FX35 but not 45?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I'm looking for lsd 3.692 upgrade differential for my '13 FX37.

Nismo sounds like the way, not easy to find lsd used diffs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts