Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had gotten my FX and before I have had a chance to drive a few different FX types and I wanted to share some of my thoughts and feelings. Some where just test drives some because I had taken my FX to have the chrome wheels removed and currently because they are removing swirl marks the car had.
The first one was a Silver Stone AWD 3.5 with just Premium and black interior

The 2nd FX35 was a RWD Black Premium and Willow interior.

3rd was a Black with Brick FX45 Premium, Tech, Chrome wheels, Mobile entertainment.

4th was ended being mine which is FX35 RWD Premium, Sport, Tech, Mobile, and chrome wheels (I had them taken off but sort of miss them now).

5th Today it’s a loaner car of Silverstone + Brick FX35 RWD Premium.

The reason I have had the chance to drive all these cars is because I was trying to decide which I really wanted some of them I had for a few hours but most of them I had for a few days.

And here is what I decided that is really important

On FX35 RWD versus AWD. The RWD is really the winner here the car moves faster and feels more fun to drive. The AWD really seems to bog the car down a bit and looses some of its fun factor. So I decided on RWD for myself and the truth I am not going off roading with any time soon and to me it funs going sideways thru a turn with the VDC turned off :)

On Interiors Willow is really a no go for me I just couldn't get used to it. I know I am really into dark interiors so it’s probably just a personal taste but I couldn't get over how boring it was. However black works with all the exterior colors, but for me the brick only looks really good on a black exterior I don't quite know why but when you open the door on a Silverstone the clash of the three colors doesn't go well with it tho I love the silverstone color on a black interior. So the winner for me is Black with Brick interior it’s a true winner it looks like pure SEX!

Now I had the Chance to drive a RWD FX35 and AWD FX45 and yes the FX45 is faster by quite a bit and that’s the only place I really compromised. But for everyday driving the FX35 RWD does very well I think and the fuel economy is slightly better so I keep trying to tell myself (yes denial is kicking in). But since I work on cars as well I thought to myself I can just bolt a Turbo kit or supercharger kit and have more power and still be cheaper than FX45. The real power train winner is the FX45 no ways about it. Having traded in my G35 Coupe I really miss some of the acceleration of my coupe, though I must admit I am bit jaded and even that car wasn't fast enough either!

Sports Package is a must. I drove a non sport FX to the airport to pick up a friend and on the way back on a sweeping radius turn at moderate speed I was completely shocked and astonished when I started getting tire shake. I been driving sport cars and sporty vehicles that I have taken the stiffer sidewalls and minimal flex for granted so when I was going thru this turn and started getting tire shake I was forced to slow down. I did test the vehicle a bit more for side to side roll, and for tire dive and I was not happy and was starting to loose its appeal to me. I know I am not driving a sport cars but I am bit demanding on how something handles and the non sport just didn't do it for me at all. The package is so cheap that its silly not to get it where else can get 20" wheels and tires for 1500 bucks?

Tech Package is cool gadgets but I think most people shy away from it because of its 4300 price tag and I really can't blame anyone for it. But the factory stereo screen is so blah and boring that it makes me feel like I am looking a mainframe terminal every time I look at it. To me it takes all the technology and styling of the car and thru backs to the days of 8088 processors. They should have really done a better job on factory screen so that the car didn't feel cheap. Thus once they make navigation its own package that will be a better option. I find that navigation is a must for me on any car and while some cars you can just replace the stereo and make it look good the FX's stereo system is so well integrated that I think it would be a harder and more expensive to try do something that will come close to looking as good. The other features of the tech package are nice, but are they really necessary or just a nice gimmick? I really do enjoy not having to put in a key into the ignition or have to take the key fob out of my pocket to open the door. The radar assistance cruise control does work! I used it on busy traffic to see how well it worked (I did put for max safety distance at first) and the car accelerated and braked fairly close to how I would when I was trying to maintain spee, now if it only knew to changes to pass the grandma driving the el Camino station wagon it would have been perfect The backup camera is neat feature for those of you who have kids who like to leave stuff behind the car. And the onboard tire pressure monitor is also good as well but not sure a lot of people would have paid separately for. The one real good feature I like about having the tech package is a lot of the car functions are controllable through it and I will be able to also use the screen to play DVDs like I had on my G35c. So is the tech package worth it? If had the choice between just getting a 2K Navigation package versus 4300 tech package would I get it? Probably not I would have just gotten the navigation package.

There is a few things I would like to have seen on this vehicle stock and thats some brand marker carpet mats. I think that the ones factory are really cheap I will probably have some made by a local guy hear in town with some nice logos and lettering on them. My G35C had better mats I think.

So the real question some of you may ask how do I like my Fx35 versus G35C? I must say that the FX is a much better everyday vehicle and comes in as a better value when comparing the two against each other. The FX35 provides me with more cargo room, better seating, and more comfort and luxury. Just the memory seating was a big deal for as my wife tended to switch the seats on me before and I swear it would take me a day to get it back to where I liked it before. Yes I did sacrife some handling and some performance but I do have another car for that as well :)

Thanks all for reading I hope I didn't bore you guys with it and remember this just my personal opinion.

Carlos

I hope you guys enjoyed my review and my feedback.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Good review. You made the right choice on several levels IMO. Remember the FX will be cheaper to maintain than the coupe over the long run as well; you won't have to shell out $1200 on a set of tires every 12k miles and the brakes will last longer (I swaped my 6MT coupe for my RWD black/brick FX). Reagrding power, the VQ really loosens up after break-in and comes alive above 4k rpms. With only a few bolt-ons (which I have), you can match the FX45 in performance; I'm averaging 6.4 sec 0-60, which is right around what the '45s are doing. Not to mention the '45 has ZERO for mod availability and the '35 gats all the trickle-down from the Z and G. The better gas milage is a big plus these days as well (though it's getting pretty painful to fill up as it is). Should have kept the chromies; they are awesome on black. Welcome to the family, now go out and drive! 8)

[disclaimer]Not, '45 bashing, just telling it like it is.[/disclaimer]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Carlos- I went through the soul searching routine also and ended up w/RWD FX35 sport/ Beryllium/Brick-Black. The question that I still get asked is "Did you get the 8?" Feel a little like I wimped out, even though I considered it for some time and got what I wanted and felt I could afford. Bought in April of 03 and there were no deals on any of these babies at the time. I plan on starting a mod sequence (a modest one) and put a couple of Gs in it over a couple of years. FYI mine seems to get stronger as time goes by and the engine and exhaust sound better, over time also. Its still stock except the tires- which you will find out are ----! Went with the Toyo Proxes ST's. They look really aggressive and handle well. I too am fairly assertive on the road and have a lot of fun behind the wheel. Enjoy your FX!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MustGoFastR I didn't realize you had also come from the G35 Coupe.

Yeah some of the other FX had over 2500 miles and really drove alot better than the FX :)

And I do want the chromies back I may have mine polished or chromed I have a place that can do it cheaper that the dealership can.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good read, I am having denial about not choosing Sport. :( Low price for what you get. I am finding that out now, hopefully I will be able to find some 20's. I do not regret getting the 35 as I knew about the mods available for it vs the 45. Who knows? in a year or two I may trade my DD for another FX!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
OIIIIIIO said:
Good read, I am having denial about not choosing Sport. :( Low price for what you get. I am finding that out now, hopefully I will be able to find some 20's. I do not regret getting the 35 as I knew about the mods available for it vs the 45. Who knows? in a year or two I may trade my DD for another FX!
The 20s will help a bit, but not as much as if you had gotten the sport package to begin with. The springs/shocks are different as well.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
carlosrg said:
MustGoFastR I didn't realize you had also come from the G35 Coupe.
Yup, I believe I was the first to do it. I only had the coupe for three months and just barely had it broken in. I think I started a trend; quite a few others have done the same.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Well, coming from the states, you get spoiled with all your choices. For my mercedes, since I wanted a special color, I had to wait 6 months. As for my FX, the 45 is not avaliable here and only special order and I did not want to wait. For my 35, I wanted the dark orange with brick (my first choice but the dealer said they were not sure when that will be so I got a call from the dealer 2 weeks after I orderd my car and they said that the only car the can find for me is a silver with black and if I wanted it I can have it the same day or it will be 3 months from now. So I am driving my silver fx35 sport without tec pack (not avaliable).

Jim

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Well, coming from the states, you get spoiled with all your choices. For my mercedes, since I wanted a special color, I had to wait 6 months. As for my FX, the 45 is not avaliable here and only special order and I did not want to wait. For my 35, I wanted the dark orange with brick (my first choice but the dealer said they were not sure when that will be so I got a call from the dealer 2 weeks after I orderd my car and they said that the only car the can find for me is a silver with black and if I wanted it I can have it the same day or it will be 3 months from now. So I am driving my silver fx35 sport without tec pack (not avaliable).

Jim
nice review, btw!!

welcome to "fx-hood"

hey jim--- are there infiniti dealers in taiwan?? or, did you use an importer?? i was at a G35 dyno shootout today, and was told that the infiniti marque will be 'coming (lol) to the JDM soon... comments?

-eS

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Yes there is an infiniti dealer in taiwan. The service department here is shared with nissan, only infiniti customers get a little better service.

Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
DAVESNELLING said:
Carlos- I went through the soul searching routine also and ended up w/RWD FX35 sport/ Beryllium/Brick-Black. The question that I still get asked is "Did you get the 8?" Feel a little like I wimped out, even though I considered it for some time and got what I wanted and felt I could afford. Bought in April of 03 and there were no deals on any of these babies at the time. I plan on starting a mod sequence (a modest one) and put a couple of Gs in it over a couple of years. FYI mine seems to get stronger as time goes by and the engine and exhaust sound better, over time also. Its still stock except the tires- which you will find out are ----! Went with the Toyo Proxes ST's. They look really aggressive and handle well. I too am fairly assertive on the road and have a lot of fun behind the wheel. Enjoy your FX!
Carlos, I chose the same thing, TWICE! I have a RWD B16/Br/Bk, with the TECH package. I got the tech package for two reasons. DVD player requires it, and the Color LCD is a must on a luxury car. Even the Nissan Pickup has this now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts