Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it odd that so few GPS units are sold in the US, though not really surprised. Americans adopt to new tech really slowly. It took 2 years for the iPod to really take off for example. The same for VoIP and TiVo.

Article below:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ar...liArticleTypeID=1&liChannelID=106&src=rssfeed

From Gizmodo:

According to Renesas Technology, a major supplier of the chipsets that power in-car navigation systems, US consumers just aren’t all that interested in GPS navigation. Of the 17 million or so vehicles sold in the US last year, only 300,000 had navigation systems—and that includes aftermarket additions. Contrast that to Japan, where fourth-fifths of all cars sold last year had navigation units installed. There’s an easy explanation, of course: GPS displays take up one more space we could use to hold our beer.

Renesas says they guess widespread adoption won’t occur in the US until prices drop into the $500 range, down from the current $2,500 or so.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Tummy said:
I find it odd that so few GPS units are sold in the US, though not really surprised. Americans adopt to new tech really slowly.
I'm not so sure that Americans adopt technology slowly at all; however I am cautious with so-called new technology and prudent with my finances. I have had 4 vehicles with Navi and consider it a "necessity" as opposed to an option (although in reality it truly is an option and an expensive on at that). Why should I put a $2200 Nav option in my sons $16,000 Corolla?

I got my first CD player back in 1985 (one of the first on the block to do so!). I got it because I clearly recognized its superiority to Cassettes and Vinyl Albums. However I have not yet bought a Plasma TV. Am I slow to adopt new technology because I do not yet see Plasma TV's superiority (especially at ~$6000 for a hi-end 43") to a good conventional CRT? Am I slow to adopt technology because I can walk into any video store and there are 5 different formats of TVs today (CRT, LCD, LCoS, DLP, Plasma - multiplied X 2 because each of these 5 comes in "regular" and HDTV)?

No, I am not at all slow to adopt new technology; however I am prudent with my resources and do not jump on the new Tech bandwagon simply because it is new :roll:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some other examples related to cars I can think of was ABS and Electronics Stability Control. Today some cars don't come with ABS and very few come with any type of ESC or VSC. These types of technologies show clear benefits, yet VSC is included in cars in single digit percentages in the US.

I guess it all comes down to cost. Like you said, putting a $2200 device in a $16,000 corolla is kind of silly, but a $500 option maybe?

Chicken or the egg. Nav systems are expensive so nobody buys them. Not enough volume to lower the price.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I guess if you limit the "slow to adopt new technology" to car/vehicle related items then I may have to agree with you. Yes I would like to see more models with VSC. But the bottom line is costs; manufactures do whatever they can to keep costs down.

I had to replace an old '97 RAV4 back in March '04 with a new one. I found out that the '04 model year was the FIRST one in which Toyota made Anti-Lock brakes standard on the RAV4!

I also got an '05 Toyota Corolla back in Nov '04 - I had to special order it with Side-Curtain airbags and Anti-Lock brakes. Toyota does NOT put that safety equipment on Corollas as standard policy and in fact rarely ships them as factory included options. As I said I had to special order it. :roll:

I suppose we should ask manufactures like Toyota why in the world they would even make an '05 vehicle without Anti-Lock brakes included??

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I am an early adopter of new tech. I just love buying the new cpu or whatever, and in 2 weeks it is half the price :? . One of the primary reasons I bought the FX is because of all the tech goodies.

·
Registered
392 Posts
johnmax said:
I am an early adopter of new tech. I just love buying the new cpu or whatever, and in 2 weeks it is half the price :? . One of the primary reasons I bought the FX is because of all the tech goodies.
That's why I bought my FX too, it was either the FX or the BMW 4.6, but after seeing all the tech goodies, the price, the design, and all that, I just had to get the FX

·
Registered
124 Posts
Toyota is really trying to cut down costs, even looking at removing as much metal from their vehicles as possible.
For the wife, looking at minivans and NAV is a must-have. Toyota in the NE only has the NAV with fully loaded awd models, $40k+ is way too much for a minivan. Honda is more inline with offering NAV in more lower models.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
fastdaddycar said:
Toyota is really trying to cut down costs, even looking at removing as much metal from their vehicles as possible.
Its a shame when cost cutting comes at the expense of safety technology. USAToday reports that "Small cars can't handle side-impact crash test": http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/200 ... ests_x.htm

DETROIT — The Dodge Neon, Ford Focus and Volkswagen's New Beetle are among the small cars that got the lowest safety rating in new side-impact crash tests performed by an independent, non-profit organization.

Eleven of the 13 cars tested earned a "poor," the lowest of four ratings, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said. The Chevrolet Cobalt and the Toyota Corolla earned the second-highest rating of "acceptable," but only when they were tested with their optional side air bags. They earned "poor" ratings without the air bags.

I am thankful we ordered the Corolla with the optional Anti-Lock Brakes and Side-Curtain Airbags (see post above).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.