Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the threads about subwoofer installs religiously, especially ShadyJC custom install, and I think I am ready to perform the first major mod to my FX35. The plan is to run a Kicker 1200.1, 1 OHM stable amp (i was going to go with a smaller amp, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse), with 2 10" type R subwoofers 4OHM in a custom box quite similar to ShadyJC's.

This will be my first audio upgrade so excuse my ignorance, but for just a sub install, do I need the Pacific Audio PAC AOEM-NIS2? I am probably going to upgrade other aspects of the audio system later on, but for right now its going to be strictly subs. I did a thread search and I know we can tap into our existing source for the Sub, but then I read that it would sound better with a PAC AOEM-NIS2. Could someone please clarify.

Also, should I upgrade the head unit at the same time? Will it be easily wire-able in the future if I only do a sub install right now?

Lastly, can anyone recommend any quality (workmanship as well as price) shops here in the bay area (I am in the East Bay, Antioch specifically)?

Thanks in advance for the answers, this project will probably start in a couple weeks, will post pics then.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
gmchao said:
This will be my first audio upgrade so excuse my ignorance, but for just a sub install, do I need the Pacific Audio PAC AOEM-NIS2?
It's not necessary if you are only doing subs but if you plan on doing your doors later it may be a good idea because it'll make it a lot easier to feed your amp with line level input.

gmchao said:
Also, should I upgrade the head unit at the same time? Will it be easily wire-able in the future if I only do a sub install right now?
You mean putting a 2nd head unit in like Big T and Chunk? I don't think it will make a difference now or later, it will be a PITA and major rewiring in any case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShadyJC said:
gmchao said:
This will be my first audio upgrade so excuse my ignorance, but for just a sub install, do I need the Pacific Audio PAC AOEM-NIS2?
It's not necessary if you are only doing subs but if you plan on doing your doors later it may be a good idea because it'll make it a lot easier to feed your amp with line level input.
Thanks for clarifying shady, I think I will just install the PAC AOEM-NIS2 now b/c eventually I will get around to doing the doors.

Also, you said that you got your install (cust box, cust radio etc) for around 575, what was the avg price you were quoted for labor at other shops? I spoke with a couple shops up here and they quoted me around 800 for a cust box + install (amp and sub only)!! I might have to make a trip down to SoCal one of these weekends if I keep getting quotes like this! :shock:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I spoke with a couple shops up here and they quoted me around 800 for a cust box + install (amp and sub only)!! I might have to make a trip down to SoCal one of these
$800 for a custom box is very steep. Did they say what kind of covering will be on the box, carpet, paint or vinyl? I could make you one for about $300.00 but it has to be carpeted though. I cannot do vinyl yet. :) I don't like to paint so that is out of the question. :)
I use 3/4" MDF and some fiberglass if needed. It depends on the
design that you want. If a lot of fiberglass is needed than it will cost a little more.

I'm not that far from you so you are welcome stop by and check out my system if you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$800 for a custom box is very steep. Did they say what kind of covering will be on the box, carpet, paint or vinyl? I could make you one for about $300.00 but it has to be carpeted though. I cannot do vinyl yet. :) I don't like to paint so that is out of the question. :)
I use 3/4" MDF and some fiberglass if needed. It depends on the
design that you want. If a lot of fiberglass is needed than it will cost a little more.

I'm not that far from you so you are welcome stop by and check out my system if you like.
The box I was quoted was basically the same idea as shadys, one that fits 2 10" up against the back of rear seats, with minimal depth to maintain trunkspace. I wanted the box lined with willow vinyl to match the interior, maybe that drove the costs up.

I am not adverse to the idea of having you build me a box (b/c i have seen the pics of your own install about 10,000 times and its pretty sweet), but the only thing is I really want it to be finished in vinyl/pleather, maybe I can get the box built from you and get it wrapped somewhere else? And if you can install some subs, maybe we can keep the profits of this install within the members of the org. haha.

·
Registered
323 Posts
up against the back of rear seats, with minimal depth to maintain trunkspace
If you want to maintain trunk space I'm curious why you don't want to go with one 12" and use fiberglass enclosure similar to the one I made for my car? With the box that goes across the back you lose a little bit more space when you have to fold down the rear seats to carry big or long stuff. But you can always remove box. I'm not trying to change your mind but these are the kind of things I thought about before I decided on my design. No perfect solutions just a lot of compromises.

maybe I can get the box built from you and get it wrapped somewhere else? And if you can install some subs, maybe we can keep the profits of this install within the members of the org. haha.
Sure I can make it and you can get it wrap by someone else. But I don't like to open up and do wiring on cars that are not mine I get really nervous. May be after I open up mine a few more times I will get more comfortable :). On my car I can tinker with it all I want and only myself to blame if I goofed. You can email me if you want me to do the box for you. [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to maintain trunk space I'm curious why you don't want to go with one 12" and use fiberglass enclosure similar to the one I made for my car? With the box that goes across the back you lose a little bit more space when you have to fold down the rear seats to carry big or long stuff. But you can always remove box. I'm not trying to change your mind but these are the kind of things I thought about before I decided on my design. No perfect solutions just a lot of compromises.
It's true that I will be sacrificing more space with Shady's design, but I am willing to give up the space in return for the visual when I open my trunk area. Personally, I think it looks better when you open the trunk and there are 2 nice subs staring back at you 8). haha.

I will research how much it is to vinyl wrap the box, and if the price is right, I will just have you build it for me, and get it wrapped elsewhere.

Now, I've heard about boxes being "tuned"? What exactly is the process for that and is it necessary?

I will email you in a bit, maybe we can meet up one of these weekends.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it looks better when you open the trunk and there are 2 nice subs staring back at you . haha.
Having two subs greeting you when you oepn the trunk is sweet. I really like Shady's setup as well. It's nicely done. But I have a paranoia about someone breaking into my car when they see something fancy so I take a lowkeyed approach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having two subs greeting you when you oepn the trunk is sweet. I really like Shady's setup as well. It's nicely done. But I have a paranoia about someone breaking into my car when they see something fancy so I take a lowkeyed approach.
You do raise a very valid point, and I have actually given that alot of thought. But ultimately, that is the price we have to pay if we want to have nice things. There is always going to be someone out there that is looking to steal something they cant afford, I can't really help that. But, I am going to insure my equipment as soon as its installed so at least I have some peace of mind.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The plan is to run a Kicker 1200.1
Kicker KX1200.1 KX-Series
Dimensions (with end shrouds): 22-1/2"L x 2-1/2"H x 10"W

This amp is 22 1/2" long so it won't fit in the front if you want it mounted the same way as Shady's. The enclosure will be a little taller than the headrests and that will obstruct your rear view and it won't look good. It will fit in the back horizontally though.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
nkiattin said:
But I have a paranoia about someone breaking into my car when they see something fancy so I take a lowkeyed approach.
This is a smart and healthy fear... unfortunately I am stuck in a rut where I want people to notice my car, whether it sounds loud (stereo and exhaust) or looks loud (see my wheels) or whatever... don't know what this means, any psychiastrists here?? :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nkiattin said:
The plan is to run a Kicker 1200.1
Kicker KX1200.1 KX-Series
Dimensions (with end shrouds): 22-1/2"L x 2-1/2"H x 10"W

This amp is 22 1/2" long so it won't fit in the front if you want it mounted the same way as Shady's. The enclosure will be a little taller than the headrests and that will obstruct your rear view and it won't look good. It will fit in the back horizontally though.

You're right, I was planning on mounting the amp horizontally in the back. I will do a some measuring to see if the amp will fit in the front without the end shrouds, but the initial concept was to mount it in the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.