Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to get greater than ~14MPG (and usually about 11.9-12.7) no matter what I do, and while at first I attributed it to a combination of more city driving or a change in the gas for Winter, I'm beginning to realize that this drop in mileage (the '45 the way I drive it was never a Prius, but I used to be able to get 15-16 consistently) happened right around the time I got the timing bump.

What I figure is happening is the crap, 91-octane max, clean-air-additive-filled swill that passes for "gasoline" here in SoCal is making me knock way more often than before (there's times I stomp on it and almost get my ass handed back to me by cholos in clapped-out Toyotas- and them sonsabitches can't normally get out of their own way).

I'm due for my 30K at about 31.5- I'll have 'em pull it back then and report back what happens.

Did anyone here in CA get the +2 bump on their '45? How did it work out for you?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Worth the check! I have no reference point,I only use 93.My all types driving is 13.5 about the same and my hi way is 19.5-19.9 vs a best of 20.5.
The ECU mod will give the bottom end and the backoff at top for the fuel

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a question. I am just at 3500 miles on my FX45 and seem to be getting only 11 mpg. Basically all of the miles are city driving but does the mileage appear to be too low for you guys? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My lows are 13-13.5 per tank city v 19.5-20 hwy(as hi as 21.5 at 80)

Motor still new,try the K&N,Mobil1,Lowering helps on HWY

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnsonlau703 said:
... and seem to be getting only 11 mpg. Basically all of the miles are city driving
Trust me, you can do that. I've once gotten 195 miles on a full tank of city driving here in stop-and-stop street traffic in LA.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I am getting 10.5 on a daily driving basis. I think its gotten a little better with the 2 degree at worst I got 8.5 mpg.

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. What exactly is the +2 degree modification? What is it suppose to do to the car besides improving gas mileage?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Do a search...on a 45 absolutely more bottom grunt,should do same for 35..but do the reading and decide

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried doing a general search for BTDC and 2 degree modification and was not able to come up with any results regarding the modification. Can anyone please provide a link? I am very interested in this tiny mod. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, Is there anyone that knows of a dealership in SanDiego/Riverside Counties CA that is willing to do this timing change? I just called Hohen Infiniti of Carlsbad where I bought the car, and they aren't willing to do it. Not even if I pay them.

I'm calling around as I'm typing this so, if I find a dealer before I get a response, I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crbvegas said:
Is there anyone that knows of a dealership in SanDiego/Riverside Counties CA that is willing to do this timing change?
Uh, dude- you see I've backed this out, right?

Everywhere else has 93 Octane for their Premium gas except CA and NV and a couple of other states. I perform much better now that I've backed this out 'cause with our sh!tty gas and higher temperatures, it was evidently pinging more, and the ECU's compensation for that was causing power and MPG loss. Brnjug and the folks in TX who did this don't have to settle for 91.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Y'all WON'T BELIEVE THIS!!

Friday night, I was unloading packages with the engine idling, and when I got back to the car, my "Service Engine Soon" light was on- aw, sh!t ...! I drove it cautiously at first, then more normally as I realized the car didn't feel any different (I knew it wasn't the "gas cap" thing, as I always screw that back on 'till it clicks). I set the alarm last night for o'dark-thirty so's I could get to Thousand Oaks (nobody else touches my car save emergencies) right when they opened (no appointment).

They get in and find the code the ECU threw was relatively benign- the "Idle Speed Controller" (ISC Valve) was either sticking or off-position (this used to happen with other cars of mine when gunk built up on the throttle body). At first they tried the CONSULT-II "Idle Setting" procedure, which didn't take the first couple of times, but they got it right and cleared the code. (There's more on the ECU coming in the "FX45" section- turns out there's a new factory ECU flash (that we TechnoSquare people can't get)).

Anyway, back when I was at Dave O's having him look at putting in an electric fan, he had a little device that could dump some of the ECU parameters, and one of 'em was base timing. His device read "+2 BTDC", and we thought that was a problem with his device. So I had my tech bring it up on the CONSULT-II, and sure enough, instead of the +12 degrees BTDC it should have been, it's at +2 deg BTDC! I made a frantic call and E-mail to Technosquare (my Tech at this point is convinced that I need the new ECU flash, 'cause I haven't let on that I've got the TS ECU flash in there yet). I needed to find out if the TS flash puts the idle timing anywhere but stock, and if I went ahead and let them upgrade my ECU to the new factory flash, would I be able to get "Re-Technosquared" (and if it would run me $600 again!). TS didn't get back to me, so I spilled the beans on the re-flash (the worry was for naught- they didn't care- this is why I don't let anyone else do my car) and he proceded to put me back to +12BTDC, and it took.

... then it dawned on me. Remember the various "Why am I losing to _____?" threads? I began to see why now: Here in SoCal, many of the automotive people, while competent, aren't native English speakers. So, when I came in asking to "Have my +2 timing bump put back to stock", by the time it went from Service Writer to Service Tech, it must have been interpreted as "Have my base timing set to +2 deg BTDC!" ... where it's been for NEARLY A YEAR! I could have been running 87 gas all this time!

:oops:

Driving it home from Thousand Oaks the change was definately felt, especiallly when I got out of the Valley (where the temps went down from the mid-80s to the low 70s). I'll be damned.

So, what have we learned? MAKE SURE your Techs know what you want to do, and see if you can get them to let you see it happen on the CONSULT-II tool!

... a year, y'all- a YEAR!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
so im assuming that stock is +12 degrees?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah- what's funny is just like old distributor/points/timing-light cars, it's on a little sticker attached to the obverse of the hood.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
****, now I'm wondering if it was ever set to +14 when I asked for the bump in the first **** place ... :(

Also, and this confirms what BrnJug had noticed (and what Thousand Oaks wasn't sure about last year when I first asked about this) that neither the TS reflash (and I'm assuming an ECU reset, since TS pulls the ECU out of the car) nor the passage of time will reset whatever you set the base timing to back to the stock value.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ohhhh...so the +2 is litereally a +2 (i.e.... +12 to +14) ?

i thought it was to set it at +2 absolute.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah- maybe we should edit the original +2 degree timing advance thread to reflect that it should GO TO +14 on the VK, instead of being set to +2!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
They were able to adjust without causing any changes to TC flash right?
Within 1 month or so I'm planning to get the TC flash. i'd love to know what the new stock flash change.

So what kind of difference did you notice after tehy set it back to stock +12?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts