Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I paid for a one-day $20 subscription to Nissan TechPubs to download the 160MB or so of FX service manual. I then put them on CD. I guess I should have been a sleaze like this guy and sold copies on eBay, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6762

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shong43826 said:
but can he legally do that?
Not if someone rats him out, I guess.

I don't have so much of a problem with the "Free Enterprise" part so much as with the "dick the unaware buyer" part (which could be considered the same, actually :))

I guess the fact that it's "one of us" is what's so galling. We're better than that! :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Definite legal ramifications if this guy downloaded it and then is distributing the product for profit and obvious personal gain. Any corporation would view that as private profiteering from intellectual property. Infiniti invested the time, money, R&D for the schematics and FX service manual info. and this guy is publicly taking business away from Infiniti and profiting from Infiniti's own licensed product?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You'd think, but people have been doing this for over a year with this, the G35 and 350Z ESMs. I have all three and have sent a few "back-ups" off for protection (for a small S&H fee, of course), myself. Never advertised openly like that, though.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MustGoFastR said:
and have sent a few "back-ups" off for protection
I let a fellow member hold a copy (for protective purposes only, of course!) for free; since he wouldn't use it or anything, it's OK. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Just my $.02, but the price that Infiniti is charging for this seems extremely reasonable, and I'll be paying for my own copy. I can certainly understand the temptation to "borrow" a copy, especially with products where the manufacturer is gouging...certainly not the case here though. I only hope that this practice won't lead Infiniti toward charging more, or even worse, removing online access to the manuals. Obviously YMMV (Your morals may vary).

Don

·
Registered
220 Posts
"Technically", I believe the $20 entitles you to view them online for 24 hrs., not download them. I wound up just ordering the CD from Infiniti anyway...

·
Registered
285 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
... the price that Infiniti is charging for this seems extremely reasonable...
Similar printed manuals from independent sources cost bout $50. This amount covers the cost of R&D printing and distribution as well as allowing for some profit margin.

It is much less expansive to produce the same thing on CD and without retail overhead cost of distribution is much lower.

My question: if this is not gauging then what is?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Boris Badenov said:
FromHereToInfiniti said:
... the price that Infiniti is charging for this seems extremely reasonable...
Similar printed manuals from independent sources cost bout $50. This amount covers the cost of R&D printing and distribution as well as allowing for some profit margin.

It is much less expansive to produce the same thing on CD and without retail overhead cost of distribution is much lower.

My question: if this is not gauging then what is?
Hmmm...I guess you've never produced technical documents for sale...I have, and I can tell you that it ain't cheap. And the lower the distribution numbers, the higher you need to price it in order to recoup the overhead, and R&D costs...not to mention tech writers, configuration control (gotta track the changes), QA, etc., etc.. Sure it's less expensive to distribute the data online than via printing, or even CD, but if you think that they're getting any serious profit from this, you're dead wrong. If you feel that $20 is too much, then we'll just have to disagree. :?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Perhaps we have a misunderstanding here…
I was talking about $210.00 infinity charging for service manual on CD, not about $20.00 24 hr subscription.

I am not sure if one has legal right to use these materials after this period, it should be somewhere in fine prints…

1 - 14 of 14 Posts