Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a couple of days in Reno, NV recently and I swear I must've seen 5 Cayennes and twice as many X5s but only ONE FX. For someone who almost bought a Cay S, I don't understand why they outnumber FXs on the road. Don't buyers read reviews and listen to car gossip? The Cay S is an awesome vehicle, no doubt, but didn't it win the Turkey of the Year award last year for most recall items? The X5 is equally awesome but the FX provides the same, if not better, performance for way less money. OK, the FX can't tow but 3000 lbs. Other than that, it's a better vehicle that'll provide more trouble-free miles, I'll just bet.

So what gives? Why does it seem like there are more Cays and X5s sold? Does anyone have actual sales numbers for all three models?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
If you go down to OC - every other car is a X5...especially when you head down to Fashion Island.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
'Cause the Cayenne is a POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORCHA! and because of that, will sell well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I guess it's a regional thing.

When I was down in Orlando, I saw TONS of Navigators and Escalades. Saw an FX maybe twice during the week. Quite possible the Navis and Caddys were from a rental fleet, but I PMd a member from there and confirmed my observations.

Here in Richmond Hill, Ontario, observations are:

RX330/300 > X5, M-series > FX, XC90 > H2, MDX > Navigator, Escalade, Touareg, Cayenne

·
Registered
184 Posts
....erghhh I don't really see FX pretty much here in the bay area when I first bought mine in nov 2004. But within 4 months....everytime i went to down town area...at least I see 5 FX

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
On Long Island every other car is an RX330 or X5. I'm seeing alot more FXs than I ever thought I would. Increasing at an increasing rate. Lots more XC90s too.

A few Cayenne's very few Mercedes anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone - I'm new to the boards as I finally just bought an '04 FX35 a couple weeks ago. :D

Here in the Phoenix area I rarely see any FXs and I also just don't get it. There are TONS of Cayennes, X5s, RX330s and MDXs. I'm starting to see a lot of Touregs, as well.

I love having a car that isn't everyone on the road (like the RX300 and RX330s), but I also feel like this car is underappreciated!!

I've wanted one for awhile and love the **** out of it now that I have it (Touring and Sport packages), so I don't understand why more people wouldn't want one! I researched all the cars mentioned above before making my choice and I always came back to the FX!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fewer FXs around, the more exclusive they are. Too bad for everybody else, condemned to stare at our FXs for many years to come! :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
mine said:
....erghhh I don't really see FX pretty much here in the bay area when I first bought mine in nov 2004. But within 4 months....everytime i went to down town area...at least I see 5 FX
I spent this past week in CA and the only FX I saw the entire time was the one on display from the Infiniti dealership on 101 S between San Mateo and Redwood City.

-NJJ

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can go for weeks on end and not see another FX in the South Seattle/Tacoma area, and I love it. It's nice to have a vehicle that when you walk out to a parking lot, there are not 20 others just like it.

When I bought my first Harley in 1977 it was like that. I could ride all day and maybe see 1 or 2 other Harley's. Now they are all over. That was one of the reasons I sold my last one in 1998. If FX become like belly buttons I will get rid of mine also. FX that is, not my belly button.

·
Registered
498 Posts
One guess is that you see a lot of X5's because they qualify for the SUV tax deduction. X5's and Cayenne's GVWR is rated high enough to qualify (6,000 lbs), FX isn't... AWD is short by 649 lbs.

Kind of nice being able to depreciate the cost of the vehicle against your income in a year. I should have done more research back in the day.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
you see more X5s and Cayannes becuase of one thing.....

branding

people want to be seen in a BMW or porsche. its a status thing more than anything. same with lexus.

granted these cars are nice, but an FX is a way better overall value for the same goodies, performance, and handling. but value doesnt matter as much as pure good old "look how rich i am" status to a lot of car buyers in this segment.

i too love having something that i consider better AND a better value AND is one of a kind design....but to each his own i guess

·
Registered
498 Posts
Infiniti as a brand is well recognized, it's more about brand perception. LOL having owned a couple BMW's... all I can say is that I doubt I'll buy another for quite some time.

People that have the money to buy a nicer car are intelligent enough to take advantage of deals and tax loopholes... knocking $50-90K off your pretax income the first year you buy the car is a solid incentive.

Also, geography plays a role. Live in nicer areas, going to see nicer cars.

Funny enough, in the development that I live in, 2 other people bought FX's after I had mine for a ocuple months.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Angela said:
Hi everyone - I'm new to the boards as I finally just bought an '04 FX35 a couple weeks ago. :D

Here in the Phoenix area I rarely see any FXs and I also just don't get it. There are TONS of Cayennes, X5s, RX330s and MDXs. I'm starting to see a lot of Touregs, as well.
Welcome to the board Angela. Another fellow (gender neutral) Phoenician FXer. Yahoo.

I noticed over the years that when I buy a new car I start noticing ones like it. I too rarely see another FX, much less an FX45. I agree with the status symbol thing. I say let them crowd the roads with BMW X5's and Chayannes. I like being different.

Angela, keep a look out for a Sheer Platinum FX45 on the 101 (doing about 15 mph :x )

Got to get back outside now and buff off my second coat of Zanio Z2 Pro. :D Amazing. I'll post picks later. 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
tazdevl said:
Infiniti as a brand is well recognized, it's more about brand perception.
you are correct....i guess that what i really meant to say :)

in the DC area there are a lot of FXs but there are so many RX330s that in any eyefull of cars on the road at any time, you see at least one.

hey piniti, if you get an RX400h and visit us in DC area, you better put some nice wheels on it, lower it, and get some bodt kit on that baby or we'll never find you :lol:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
bradical said:
hey piniti, if you get an RX400h and visit us in DC area, you better put some nice wheels on it, lower it, and get some bodt kit on that baby or we'll never find you :lol:
...and don't forget the Go-Fast Graphics too! :shock: No matter what I drive, rest assured, You'll know it's me! 8)
The 30mpg RX400h doesn't come out till late next month http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156324 So don't count me out just yet. I'm still working on getting my MPG's back. If I suceed, I've got a few more cosmetic enhancements to make KITI stand out a little more. :roll: :idea:

·
Registered
748 Posts
NJ_Jackals said:
mine said:
I spent this past week in CA and the only FX I saw the entire time was the one on display from the Infiniti dealership on 101 S between San Mateo and Redwood City.

-NJJ
In contrast to my last post, I made a liquor store run (8mi round trip) during halftime of the WV/Louisville game and passed 3 FXs. Ivory Pearl, DG, and Sapphire. NONE had sport package.

tazdevl said:
Funny enough, in the development that I live in, 2 other people bought FX's after I had mine for a ocuple months.
There is one other FX in my development (44 homes). They have Black with Touring, Sport, and Tech. They said they HATE it. They bought it as a replacement for a SUV/minivan. They have a newborn and the biggest complaint is the stiff Sport ride. The baby can NEVER sleep in the car. They bought it for the wrong reason IMHO and would have been better off with an Lexus RX330 or Chrysler T&C.

-NJJ

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i still dont know how you can buy this car and NOT know how still the suspension is.....especially when you have a kid and a soft ride is paramount to you. one test drive and you know this thing rides firm.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Here in the Gulf South betwen the Big Easy and Destin the Lexus 330/300 reigns. Next are Escalades and Denalis. (Don't count Tahoes, Suberbs, or Expeditions because they are like flies). Seeing more Tauregs and Volvos and the occasional Porsha. FXs still pretty uncommon, 'cept in my neighborhood where we now count four.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.