Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was surfing some sites that I should not have been :roll: :shock:
and now my computer is infected with spyware or something.

No matter what I click on, a **** pop-up, pops-up. I click submit here and 2 pop-ups, I click on google and pop-ups. AHHHHH :evil:

I already run these: Zone Alarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-aware, and pest patrol and who knows what I picked up.

So, then my husband and I installed and ran these with the latest updates:

Ad-Aware SE (newest ver.)
http://www.lavasoft.com

Spyware Doctor
http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/ ... 93213.html

Spybot
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-D ... ag=lst-0-2

The first program we ran found 200+, then ran a second program and that one found 130 and the last one we ran found another 20.

Nothing serious but just a lot of spyware and some hyjacking things.

It is still not right and was wondering if I am missing something.
I have all my settings to block pop-ups and banner ads and all security levels set to high.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I run IE and I like it. I have tried mozilla and Firefox I just dont like them.
Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to here this.

I use Ad-aware SE, Spybot & Spy Sweeper. Each program will detect different types of spyware.

Spy Sweeper used to be a freeware program, but it's now shareware.

Here is the link to download it: http://www.webroot.com/downloads/?WRSID ... a96c7618f7

Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Infx35

Spy Sweeper found another 8

Okay, I need some more.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Download HijackThis. It will sniff out all the crap and then some. Afterwards you can remove it from your system manually. Just make sure you know what you're looking at before you do.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Shady.

I finally got it to stop re-directly when I open IE. Thank God

So far no pop-ups in the last 30 minutes.

Went and deleted some off of the HyjarkThis before I got your message. Thank you. If I run it again I will send to ya.

D

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, went away from computer for 10 minutes and left it on this page and came back and there was a pop-up. :evil:

Crappy Day :cry: ](*,)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know the feeling...

One word: Mac. THats why I love them sooo much, no spyware, no pop-ups, programs dont freeze up, the "End Task" function actually works on Mac (even thou you barely need it), hardly any viruses for Mac, nicer design, easier to use, etc.

Disclaimer: The previous post is only the opinion of one individual who loves Mac, and does not represent the opinion of everyone else. :twisted:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's what I did to protect my computer...

I bought an SMC router (main use is ability to connect more than one computer to the Internet) which comes with hardware firewall. This should serve as the first line of defense... You can configure it to suite your needs and it comes with a parellel port for the printer...
Next, I installed Norton Internet Security which also helps a lot.
I am also using ad-aware and run checks every few days.
Finally, I use Firefox instead of IE or Netscape as it is superior to all other browsers (and it comes with adblocker which is also useful).

That said, I have had a problem couple of years; no viruses, spyware, nor adware. 8)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oops, I meant to say that I have had a problem-free couple of years... :oops: [/quote]

·
Registered
706 Posts
Also, a lot depends on what version of windows your running. I had windows ME and it basically had no security. I now have windows XP and run some of the programs mentioned here and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
You know my answer. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
kcrudup said:
You know my answer. :)
Yes, and as much as you and I like Linux, it's not ready for Joe Sixpack to use. Mac OS-X is a good alternative (I'm writing this from my old G3 400MHz iMac) because you get BSD (for us UNIX lovers), and the normal plug-in and use it simplicity of the Mac interface. Also, as a Mac user for twenty years, I've only seen one virus, and it was on a floppy I bought off the street in Korea. I do Windows (no pun intended) ...gotta because my company put one on the desk (tempted to make it a dual boot), next to my Solaris 9 server. I've had the joy of reinstalling the Windows OS a couple times, constant security patches (FXLENT...yes, I'm running XP, ZoneAlarm, Norton, AdAware, etc...still sux for security), etc, etc.

Sweet...Not sure what it is that you didn't like about Firefox or Mozilla, but having a problem like this should be enough to convince you to give them another try. IE is simply full of gaping security holes...you have little control over cookies, popups, and no tabbed browsing...what's to like???

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sweet .. I'm the tech guy at my workplace, and I've seen your story repeat itself a dozen times this year. Spyware, not viruses, are the #1 problem we have at work.

You've done most of the right steps. Someone suggested you run HijackThis and email him the logs .. take him up on the offer if my below suggestion doesn't work.

Indeed, AdAware and SpyBot should remove everything, but they frequently neglect to detect and remove "BHO"s or Browser Helper Objects. I've found BHOs are the main culprit for "pop-ups".

So .. run SpyBot. On the Menu, make sure the "Mode" is set to "Advanced".

Click on "tools" in the window at the bottom left. Make sure "BHO"s is checked in the main box. You'll then be able to click on BHO's on the left side menu.

Examine the BHO's that appear in the main window. Some BHO's are safe, for example, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Google Toolbar. If you don't recognize the BHO as one that you want to keep, simply click on it, then click on "Remove" at the top of the window.

Then, Reboot your machine, and see if that does the trick.

-- And, damnit, while I was walking through this in SpyBot, I noticed I HAD an evil BHO that needed pruning. Good thing I went through this exercise. :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Description:

Name:
BHO Phisher

Author:

Category:
Adware

Threat Assessment:
Medium

Description:

BHO Phisher is a Browser Helper Object that may intercept confidential information posted to online banking Web sites.

Characteristics:

BHO Phisher is a Browser Helper Object that may display targeted advertisements via Internet Explorer. A BHO is a file that loads with Internet Explorer and does anything the author designs it to do.

Method of Infection:

BHO Phisher is generally installed via ActiveX drive-by download. A "drive-by download" program automatically downloads itself on your computer without your knowledge or consent. Drive-by downloads can be initiated by clicking on an advertisement or visiting a Web site.
I found it !!!!

c:\windows\system32\guard.tmp
This is what I have and can not find it on the hard drive or delete it.

Anyone know how to get rid of this?

I am going to run HyjackThis again and going to email the log to you shady.

Thank you all for the help in this.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
duncantuna, did what you said and 14 more. Still that Look2me keeps popping up. :evil:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
duncantuna, did what you said and 14 more. Still that Look2me keeps popping up. :evil:

Have you contemplated working it over with a sledgehammer yet :twisted: ? On a serious note, if that spyware came with a tickler, then things look pretty shitty. It would simply continue to re-install itself following each boot-up. You'd probably have to get into the registry to remove it manually provided you know how to track the **** thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Win XP pro-SP2, Opera browser, Panda Antivirus Platinum & Panda firewall, Ad-Aware SE professional and haven't problems with popups, hijacks and similar stuff. If you run XP have in mind that you must turn off system restore from control panel before clean up your computer.

Wish you luck with the fight :)

P.S. The main problem may be is IE .... regular updates of all components is very important too.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Change your browser.

I use Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. Have not had a pop up in 3 months.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts