Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself turning off the VDC every time I start the car 'cause if I don't I find the system kicking in all the time on even modest cornering. A part of me wants to disable it permanently; there's been times it's nearly gotten me fscked up, 'cause I'll be taking an off-ramp or something really at the edge of the car and I'm expecting the handling to be a certain way to pull me thru it, then here comes the "SLIP" light throwing off the car's balance and the results are not pretty.

Ah well, now I've got a third button to add to the "FX start ritual": (1) auto-mirror-dim off (2) Nav "OK", (3) VDC off.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had my car for almost 11 mos. now and have never even had the VDC kick on. To me, if your driving and the VDC constantly kicks in, then you need to slow down.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It has only been a month for me and i have pushed it hard into corners. I am yet to see the "SLIP" indicator come on.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wait for the snow... :twisted:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i agree with turning this VDC off. when you are right on the edge, a slide would start and progress in a way that is easily dealt with (if you knw how to handle a car). VDC kicks in and snaps the car making a scary wobble sometimes.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FXLENT said:
To me, if your driving and the VDC constantly kicks in, then you need to slow down.
Uh, maybe YOU might need to "slow down" so's ya don't hurt yourself, but I bought my FX to drive it like an FX, and do that very well!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I hate that too. The brake pedal pulses and makes an awful clunking sound when cornering (or is that the ABS?).

Kenny, why not put a small piece of black tape over the sensor on the rear view mirror? That will keep it from auto-dimming.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
particlefx said:
The brake pedal pulses and makes an awful clunking sound when cornering (or is that the ABS?).
It's the VDC (it's a braking system on our cars), coupled with the ABS to eliiminate wheelspin, I'm sure.

I'll probably cover the sensor. I just don't want to do something up there that looks too ghetto.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I totally agree. I wished there was a full disable button for the VDC within a month in owning the FX. Many times when trying to go around a corner modestly fast to merge with traffic, the VDC would kick in and halt my progress by applying the brakes and cutting the engine output because the tires slightly chirp'ed. Great, instead of speeding up it gets to slow down which can be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You guys have peaked my interest.I hate the VDC in other situations when I want and need power and it appllies brakes...ugh!
Monday morning on a series of left 90 and then right 90 which I do twice a week and absolutely know the car's limit,the tail kicks out and I am in recovery mode.First thoughts were check tire pressure(a 5-10 degree morning) and there was some salt dust on the road.
Bottom line,I am correcting in a situation that I have done a 100 times with no problem

Time to get working on that Nismo LSD for the 45...again!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Monday morning on a series of left 90 and then right 90 which I do twice a week
why do you do this?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
question

I have a meetng twice a week which puts me on this road through an industrial park...what have i not said

·
Registered
599 Posts
press and hold the VDC button for a while and it will turn off and you won't be able to turn it on until you restart the car. I believe this has a different effect than just pressing the VDC to off. I read it previously on the my350z and g35 forums.

Otherwise, you can always pull the VDC fuse.. Not recommended tho!

Also kinda digressing. For AWDers out there, if you pull the AWD fuse, our AWD becomes RWD! Good for having a fun time in a parking lot filled with snow... :p

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ak1nza said:
press and hold the VDC button for a while and it will turn off and you won't be able to turn it on until you restart the car. I believe this has a different effect than just pressing the VDC to off.
I actually used to do this, but after feeling a negligible difference (it seemed the manumatic shifted with less delay on the '45s), I stopped doing it 'cause it seemed to be (as was described in the G forum on FA) merely a failsafe in case the button failed in the "depressed" state.

I'll never pull the fuse, though. A part of me thinks this puts the other CPUs in some sort of funky fallover mode.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
its probably like the fire alarms in my house. they all have a battery AND they are all lnked together to a breaker. if anhy one alarm goes off, THEY ALL go off (even if they have no batterys, or likewise even if they breaker is off). the only way to disable this (of course you dont want to) is to take out all of the batterys and flip the breaker, but leave the battery in ONE that you think is the one that is most important.

one they go off, you are running around the entire house trying to turn all 8 of them off and its DEAFENING!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kcrudup said:
Ak1nza said:
press and hold the VDC button ... I believe this has a different effect than just pressing the VDC to off.
I actually used to do this, but after feeling a negligible difference I stopped doing it 'cause it seemed to be merely a failsafe in case the button failed in the "depressed" state.
... which was confirmed this morning when I pulled out of my driveway, the "10-second VDC lockout" was on, and sure enough, I got a slip light.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Thanks Kenny,I tried it this am in 35 weather and as I pulled out of the hardware store it just went...which is what it should do!!Kept it on all morning to no notice which I guess is normal

I will get serious on the LSD,which acts faster than the electronics and better by driving the buried wheel.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
kcrudup said:
Ah well, now I've got a third button to add to the "FX start ritual": (1) auto-mirror-dim off (2) Nav "OK", (3) VDC off.
Kcrudup,
-A few more switches, you'll end up using the same "Starting" procedure with the airplane pilots. :p
-When ABS first came out, few ppl got panic when it activated. Just like ABS device, VDC is there to "help" :roll: ...so wk with it,practice will hake perfect :wink: , that's what I'd do.
-You think our VDC is worse when it kicks in? wait till you try the Mercedes E500... it tried so hard, I thought the engine would shut down on me in the middle of the quick/hard turn. Now that's panic.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2Fast4U said:
Just like ABS device, VDC is there to "help" :roll: ...so wk with it,practice will hake perfect :wink:
It gets in the way- period. No amount of "practice" will prevent the VDC from coming on and ruining the vehicle's dynamics well before I can make the car do what I want to- unless you're suggesting I try and keep my cornering down to where VDC doesn't kick in, which ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
kcrudup said:
2Fast4U said:
Just like ABS device, VDC is there to "help" :roll: ...so wk with it,practice will hake perfect :wink:
It gets in the way- period. No amount of "practice" will prevent the VDC from coming on and ruining the vehicle's dynamics well before I can make the car do what I want to- unless you're suggesting I try and keep my cornering down to where VDC doesn't kick in, which ain't gonna happen.
That's what I mean, just like our ABS system, work it/practice it with VDC ON, I tried it and agree with you that it is frustrated, VDC will cut down power but maybe that's all the power we need flying thru the corner "effeciently"? With VDC OFF, a guy with a well skilled and his concentrations can get a little slide here and there and it is a bit FUN but maybe it isn't the quickest way going thru corners ESPECIALLY when CORNERING side by side with ANOTHER racer, to many things CAN/WOULD happen and to watch out for. just my .02

1 - 20 of 35 Posts