Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of this talk about the new Injen CAI has once again awakened my desire to do this sort of mod. Over the few months that I've been hanging around here I've read a number of posts which mention hydrolock in regard to the CAI mod but I've been unable to find any that go beyond mentioning it. I'd be real grateful if a few of you could weigh in on this and tell me why I should be concerned or, better yet, why I should stop thinking about it and just do the mod.

I'm new to this whole mod thing and largely uneducated when it comes to doing more than changing my fluids and filters so go easy on me if I'm asking something completely idiotic.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
In a nutshell, hydrolock is when water (or any liquid) enters the engine cylinder(s). Water in the cylinder will create extra compression pressures and cause damage. There are a few ways this can occur but the references here are talking about entrance via the air induction system. Placement and size of the air intake system can therefore be very important. For instance, some cars draw their air in from the engine compartment so hydrolock is not much of an issue. Other cars, especially sports cars, draw in cold air close to the ground and in the front of the hood -- and therefore risk swallowing water from rain or splashing water. The intake on the FX sits higher up and posses less risk, but still has some minor vulnerability (small amounts of water are typically vaporized (I think) and pose no harm). Modifying the FX with a more efficient CAI adds a little more risk. The repair for this type of damage is very expensive.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Though in my opinion, the risk to the FX is minimal even with the Injen, which places the filter down in the bumper area in front of the radiator. Even hard rain should not be a concern; you'd basically have to be in water deep enough to submerge the filter, which no FX has any business doing (at that point hydrolock wouldn't be your only expensive repair). I'm going to assist in an install of the Injen on the 31st. I'll take pics and measure the height of the filter off the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Many Buick GN owners used a scoop blended into the lower air dam and ran the air back to an enclosed cone K&N then to the turbo.A fair amount of water might be ingested in the rain at speed,but it all was vaporized and no hydrolock!I doubt you could generate enough vacuum to suck it all the way to the throttle body before bogging down the motor.I do not recall those cowl induction cars having a problem either!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I agree. Unless you are running in deep standing water you should not see a problem.

I have had multiple cars that are low to the ground with CAI and the scoop was at the bottom and even in Houston's rain, I never had a problem.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Its been raining pretty hard over here on the East Coast. (New Jersey), and I just went through some rediculous unavoidable puddles that were worring, deep. :shock: . I made it through without slowing down but remembering about this discussion. I am glad to have the Stillen CAI. Next time I won't even think about worring after seeing large puddles ahead of me. Good luck to all of those who have the Injen CAI. :silly:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent info...thanks guys. Although the Injen is a pretty thing, I'll be going with the Stillen / Z Tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts