Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help from you car talking guys.

I've had my 2004 FX35 AWD for 8 years and 88k. Over the past 6 months, the car has developed a "hum" that's getting more annoying every day.

Indeed, my 3rd set of 18" tires were put on about 10k ago .. I was talked into Hankook Ventus. Obviously, this "hum" could be tire noise, as I've read other complaints.

But .. the tone of the "hum" doesn't really change when you go over different types of road .. I would have figured it it was tire noise, the pitch would go different as you crossed from one road to another (concrete bridge to asphalt, etc.) (Is that true?)

I just brought the car in (early) for the 90k service, I assume they changed the dif oil, trans fluid, etc .. and they rotated the tires. The noise *might* have changed after that service, it was hard to tell .. maybe now that it's colder outside, it's gotten louder. Unsure.

Besides tire noise, what could it be? Transmission? Wheel bearings?

Question 2 - if it is the tires .. is there a process for "swapping"? I mean .. am I hosed and need to buy new tires, or do dealerships give you a break?

Last year, I thought about getting a new car .. after new tires, 90k service, and now this .. looks like I made the wrong decision.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the hum changes pitch as speed changes. The hum is being produced by something that is spinning .. so, faster spin = different pitch.

I notice it the most while the engine is idling (like decelerating on a freeway ramp) .. engine is quiet, you can hear the hum best. (Not that the hum goes away while on the freeway .. it's just harder to discern the noise since the engine is making its usual noise, plus wind, plus whatever else.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Most of us with higher mileage FXs (I have 150K on mine) have had one or more front wheel bearing assembly replacements. Tires can also make a lot of noise. Either of these could easily be the culprit and both have solved my rolling noise issues. I haven't had any failures of the FD, RD or TC and have never noticed noise from these sources. I have had a transmission failure and it didn't make any extra noise when it bought the big one. It just "failed to proceed". Since you've spent some time focusing on tires, may I suggest the wheel bearings. It's pretty easy for a tech to tell.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, VitesseFX! -- So .. what's "maintenance" or "replacement" of wheel bearing/assemblies cost? Are we talking $100 or $1000?

One other thing I've noticed .. the sound doesn't appear to be on the left or right. Not that it's coming from the "center" of the car, but more that I don't notice it any more on one side than the other.

I also can't seem to hear it with my head out the window, but that might be just because I can't detect anything over the wind in my face.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Bearing for sure. If you wanna diy it you can get the bearing for about $130. If a shops gonna do it expect double that for the part and a couple hours labor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the idiot questions .. but I assume there are two bearing assembly, right and left? Replacing both sounds like $700-1000 at the dealership?

And last question .. what happens if you ignore the noise and the problem for a year or two? ;-)

Ouch.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Bearing/hub assembly is the same for either side. A year or 2? I dunno if id let it go that long. I'm lazy but the noise got to me after 7 months :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Change the suspension, I did that 2 months ago and all my noises disappeared. All 1st gen suspension are due at 40-50k miles. Get them all for 250 at shockwerehouse,com and if you want Lexus RX like suspension go with coilovers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
duncantuna said:
Yes, the hum changes pitch as speed changes. The hum is being produced by something that is spinning .. so, faster spin = different pitch.

I notice it the most while the engine is idling (like decelerating on a freeway ramp) .. engine is quiet, you can hear the hum best. (Not that the hum goes away while on the freeway .. it's just harder to discern the noise since the engine is making its usual noise, plus wind, plus whatever else.

Just to eliminate the obvious... your tires are not over inflated are they?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luis - Interesting .. I don't recall my suspension being serviced ever .. and I'm at 90k.

Codeggs - Tires should be close to 32. With winter coming, the tires were a little low, like 29psi in the mornings. I brought them up to 33, knowing in a month, the temps will be 10f lower, so I should be good for a while.

·
Registered
640 Posts
duncantuna said:
Luis - Interesting .. I don't recall my suspension being serviced ever .. and I'm at 90k.

Codeggs - Tires should be close to 32. With winter coming, the tires were a little low, like 29psi in the mornings. I brought them up to 33, knowing in a month, the temps will be 10f lower, so I should be good for a while.
Cool. I know some guys that pump them up to about 42 psi. The tires end up sounding very balloony. GL.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
duncantuna said:
Thanks for the info, VitesseFX! -- So .. what's "maintenance" or "replacement" of wheel bearing/assemblies cost? Are we talking $100 or $1000?

One other thing I've noticed .. the sound doesn't appear to be on the left or right. Not that it's coming from the "center" of the car, but more that I don't notice it any more on one side than the other.

I also can't seem to hear it with my head out the window, but that might be just because I can't detect anything over the wind in my face.
Don't have the invoices handy but off the top of my head I think they were about US$180 with labor. It's referred to as a hub assembly. I've posted pics here before. Some people with equipment and skills have replaced the bearing within the assembly. Most of my hub assembly replacements have been performed under warranty. Even had a replacement replaced under its warranty. So, not so much has been out of pocket. The sound seems to be non-directional as you note. I've often wondered why most FX drivers I've seen are running around with their heads out the window. Wheel bearing acoustic testing! :D ... Good luck with next steps!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To close the loop on this thread .. those of you who guessed "wheel bearings" were correct. The driver's side needed a new assembly .. parts & labor, $500.

With the new one, this 8 year old car drives as quiet as it did when it was new. Guess I'll hang on to it for a few more years!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

My (EU-imported in 2009) 2006 FX35 AWD has around 85k miles on it.
In the past period (some weeks, maybe 2 months) at different speeds (especially round and about 50 kmh / 100 kmh) the car has developed a 'whining' noise which seems to be coming from the front right (although I'm not sure). The rear tires have been replaced last year august, and a couple of days ago the front tires have been replaced as well (because they were really worn out at 0.8-1 mm). I wanted to wait and make sure the whine wasn't caused by the worn out tires. However, I now found that the 'whine' is still present after the tire replacement/rebalancing/front wheel realignment. So I'm thinking I need to drop by the Nissan dealership again and have the ball bearings checked and possibly replaced. Just wanted to share this with all of you, I'll keep you updated as soon as it is resolved.
Does anyone know how to isolate the wheel bearing that is faulty ?
I guess the dealer will be able to identify it by lifting the car and spinning the wheels, but I've also thought of doing it the acoustic way and stick my (or a friends) head outside of the window and try to isolate the culprit that way.

BR,

Maarten

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and just purchased a 2006 FX35. Got a great deal on it for only $12K. It has only 49K miles on it. It is humming at speeds above 40MPH. Are there step by step instructions on this forum for the hub replacement?

Thanks in advance!
cynot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts