Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so sick of the jabbering idiot DJs on Sirius (it's just like LA FM radio, but I have to pay for it :?) I'm thinking of just eating the loss and starting over from jump with XM- but I have a few questions:

- If I recall correctly, even with the Tech package you were still limited to only 10 characters of song title and/or artist on the display. Is this still the case?

- Are all the "Loading" issues fixed in the re-released (and/or refurbished) receivers?

- Does anyone currently have XM and would like to switch to Sirius? Maybe we can swap- I have a subscription that's paid up 'till like Feb of next year (1yr sub + 3mos Infiniti free trial).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had XM installed by the dealer in Novemeber of last year and was told it was a new receiver. I have NOT had one incident of loading or any other issue with mine (knocking on wood). My wife has Sirius and, although they both have their advantages, I like XM much better.

Note: I live in the middle of nowhere (Iowa) so I may have different reception issues than someone who lives in a larger city or an area with a lot of trees.

Good luck with the switch.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ShadyJC said:
Kenny, maybe you should try before you buy!
Hrmph- burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice ...!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kcrudup said:
- Does anyone currently have XM and would like to switch to Sirius? Maybe we can swap- I have a subscription that's paid up 'till like Feb of next year (1yr sub + 3mos Infiniti free trial).
Bump. This offer still stands.

I'm in an Internet Cafe, and it turns out the background music is "XM 25"- I've been here a couple of hours, and other than a few station IDs every 8-10 songs and one blurb about some service they offer, I haven't heard ONE DJ, who'd be blabbering on and on about what he had for dinner last night if this were Sirius.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
kenny, i found out what channel on sirius is the PRIME offender.

channel 45......shady 45.....the eminem channel :lol:

these guys are trying to have like an all day talk show. uggg

channel 40,42, are a lot better, but 50 is getting talky too

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: XM

GTFX35 said:
FYI - I read yesterday that XM is increasing its monthly service fee to $12.95...
Same as Sirius, BTW.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bradical said:
kenny, i found out what channel on sirius is the PRIME offender:

channel 45......shady 45
Yeah- they'd play a good song or two, then minutes of inane talk. Grrrr ...!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I'm now listening to XM's free listening trial online (had to set up VMWare to run a Windows session on my Linux box) and I guess the way it works is XM has a few stations that are mostly music with a little canned interruption, but it appears most of the "urban" stations have chatty DJs too- but they're nowhere near as bad as the ones on Sirius (at least they tend to not talk over the beginnings of songs, and keep the chatter to being about the music instead of what they watched on TV last night, etc.).

62 ("Suite 62") is pretty good in this respect. But I've read how XM has a far deeper playlist, and that's been clear in just the 1/2 hour I've been listening- I've heard stuff I haven't heard in a while (and never on Sirius) and stuff that's brand new to me.

So far, so good. If I decide to swap, I'm gonna have a really great offer for some lucky member of this forum who's Sirius-free. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kcrudup said:
- If I recall correctly, even with the Tech package you were still limited to only 10 characters of song title and/or artist on the XM reciever display. Is this still the case?
Can anyone with XM tell me if this is still true?

The more I listen to XM, the more I like it. I'm now on 26 ("The Eye"). What sucks is Sirius has the better (Infiniti) recievers, and the better system technically (that three-sat deal they've got is an elegant way of doing it). Ah well, ya can't have everything ...!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well, in a short while, XM will buy out sirius and then you can have both :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna play out the entire three days in XMs online trial, but so far? Sheeeit- Sirius is gonna get fired like a sleeping security guard!

·
Registered
27 Posts
kcrudup said:
kcrudup said:
- If I recall correctly, even with the Tech package you were still limited to only 10 characters of song title and/or artist on the XM reciever display. Is this still the case?
Can anyone with XM tell me if this is still true?
Not sure if its 10 characters but it is only a few (FX35/2005/XM) From a technology point of view, the engineers didn't set themselves much of a challange - there is lots of functionality left out IMHO. Don't know if the Sirius radio is any different. Quality is reasonable, not great.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
joost said:
there is lots of functionality left out IMHO. Don't know if the Sirius radio is any different.
It appears the Sirius radio only does the full song titles, but yeah, that's about it- most other recievers I've seen will let you see what's on other stations, etc. Not ours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put XM in my 05 and it works great. No cut out at all.

I mounted the micro magnetic antenna in the rear door so it is under the black spoiler. It is plastic so reception is good.

There are 3 inserts that you can pull out to access this.

I used double back tape to mount the antenna, cut a groove in the harness grommet for the antena wire, then ran it inside the door weatherstrip down the left side.

Worked out great

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally!, Part 2: XM!

After weeks of PMing anyone who expressed a dislike of XM if they'd wanted to swap with me for Sirius (I didn't want to eat the cost of two recievers!) I finally got someone to sell me (I'd said "swap", but he missed that and bought a new Sirius reciever from Grubbs first) his XM reciever out of his New M45.

Since it's a new, remanufactured unit (has the big "R" sticker, as well as the new software version, I'm assuming), I won't have the lockup problem, but the "10-character display limitation" is still there (see picture). It was only for those two reasons I went with Sirius in the first place w/o even giving them a test-listen; I didn't think I was going to end pretty much back to FM radio :evil: .

Ah well, I'm happy now! I'm going to see if my pops wants the Sirius unit (he just bought a Liquid Copper '35 premium last week- like son, like father!) and if not, I've got a great deal on the way to some .ORG member.

I had to buy a new antenna, and a new splitter, and I remounted it in our "Stealth Antenna" location and all is well. The receiver itself's still "ghetto rigged" in the spare-tire well as before; it didn't bother the Sirius reciever and is a LOT less work to install this way. (I probably should at least Velcro it to the side instead of letting it just bang around in there, huh? :))

One thing I noticed is that XM's audio doesn't seem as good as Sirius', but since they spent so much time yappin' over at the Dog instead of playing music, their better fidelity got lost in the noise. I've also noticed NO dropouts in the two days I've had it in there- either XM's signal is stronger, or the higher number of repeaters is responsible. Either way, I'm happy. Sirius would drop every now and then (not much at all, once a day on average for a few seconds).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WaltToInfiniti said:
Where is this hidden XM antenna location? What is the splitter used for?
Hey! I know you!

Most of us have placed our SAT antennae on the metal shelf you see if you raise your hatch, right in the middle of the hatch hinges. (Do a "Search" on "Stealth Antenna" and the pictures should come up).

The splitter is because the radios have two antenna inputs- one for an antenna for the Sats, and another for an antenna for the Terrestrial repeaters. Since the antennas we're using now are able to handle both frequencies (check out the graph detailing each service's allocation), they just use a splitter (which also has to be specific for each service) to run the single antenna to both receiver inputs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Kenny,
I have some work done on my G so I'm driving a 05 G sedan with XM. I really like it, hardly any ads!
The questions I have for you is: How hard is it to add XM to my 03 45? And how much would it cost? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks bro, Vahag

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.