Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I've done the mod. If the mode is on off or auto, then the tail lights are off. For the auto mode, the headlights has to be off for this to apply. If you put it into parking lights on headlights, then the tail lights will come on.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
tail lights are off with this mode. Ive made a small mod and connect it to AE and now have it still on :)

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
sirtrojan said:
tail lights are off with this mode. Ive made a small mod and connect it to AE and now have it still on :)
I connected my AE too so I wouldn't have to turn it on all the time hehe

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok so I did this mod, for those still considering it, get some 16 gauge male connectors. Two of my slots were too small and I had to shear off the sides to make them fit.

One new question, those who've done this, do you get brights flashed at you alot? I've gotten it twice already since the DTRL's are max brightness and appear like you have four headlights on at nighttime. I'm considering changing my bulbs to a yellow bulb to help other cars understand I don't have my brights on.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Must be your aim of your headlights. When you are behind someone doing you see your cut off line in their car? If yes then you need to manually adjust it. I have halos with parking lights so it kinda looks like I have 3 lights on combined with hid foglights so it's pretty bright. I haven't got flashed yet but if I do I know it's because of my fogs. I can see it in people's car so I try not to use it a lot.

Plus I don't think this mod changed the parking lights' brightness. All it does is have your parking lights on all the time. So when u turn on your hids it should be the same as before you did the mod. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes once again people confuse DTRL with parking/running lights. A DTRL bulb in that spot is a dual filament bulb. Most people do this mod and all they are doing is turning on the running light bulbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
John, I know they aren't really DTRLs, but parking lights hot wired to appear like a DTRL.

They do not change brightness at all from switching headlights on/off and or in parking light mode. They are always pretty bright. I can't recall if they were dim when the headlights were on before or not, guess I'll have to pull the wires out and check. I'd prefer to hot wire them for the lower wattage filament. I'm actually considering yanking it out, except I really enjoy having a hot power spot for keeping my cell phone charged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DatMan said:
First, disconnect the battery.

Follow each picture and the 1 line instruction above it.

When you're all done, remember to connect the battery and you should be good to go!

Can I have enlargements please from pic. 1 and pic. 7 times?
I do not have here in Germany the same problem with me to help can.
Can be however possible, which looks it with me somewhat other.

Thanx Steffen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stock R said:
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the DRL relay?

I want to see (understand) how this setup works/triggers the DRL.

I would like to buy a DRL module (Hamsar 45020) and try to wire it up so that I can have the DRLs come on at the proper times rather than all the time.
+1

Pictures make this clear to do - but (searching) I can't find original post with details. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
grayfox said:
Pictures make this clear to do - but (searching) I can't find original post with details. Can anyone help?
Are you asking for pictures of this HOW TO? Or asking for pictures involving a DRL module? Pictures for this HOW TO can be seen on the first page...

·
Registered
9 Posts
DatMan said:
grayfox said:
Are you asking for pictures of this HOW TO? Or asking for pictures involving a DRL module? Pictures for this HOW TO can be seen on the first page...

I've seen the pictures - looks ez enuff to do. Just was hoping to see the write-up. I kinda wanna know what it's doing. I guess two things are clear: 12V coming from Accessory instead of headlamp activation and wiring to "DTRL" (parking lights) stays same. What is the short lead doing? Making something always on? But, what?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
grayfox said:
What is the short lead doing? Making something always on? But, what?
I think that's for the parking lights... which seem to be in the ON position after the FX starts with this mod... and for some reason, one of the ACC plugs stays on regardless if the key is in or not... think it's either the one on the back of the center console or in the trunk...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to do this mod yesterday, and somehow I knocked out my plexibox/DTRL/parking lights. (This was in combination with a halo install and oil change, so there are a few extra potential variables)

I connected the relay with wires as shown in the picture. (I added a connector from the accessory out for use on my fog lamp halo's)
I tested the lights coming on as accessory, and it seemed to work fine.
I connected the halo lights and tested again with no issues.

I drove the car, and I thought I couldn't see the boxes lit up in a reflection from the car in front of me, but didnt think much of it.

Took the car in for an oil change (have to have it done so I keep my warranty valid)

In the evening when i went to drive the car again I noticed the plexi boxes (parking light) were out. other lights came on fine. I figured id taken out a fuse, so I drove and got fuses. after buying fuses I drove and the dash lights were out. when I parked I noticed that my tail lights were also out.
the halo's were still working fine

I removed the mod and reconnected the relay.

I replaced a few blown fuses. I think I blew out 3 (brake light-top left in box 3, and a few other ones I cant recall now)

Everything else is now powered back up, except the boxes(parking light) I cant seem to find a fuse thats blown and seems related. Ive pulled out and checked half of all the fuses, and haven't found one for the parking lights.

Question: What did I mess up to cause this? (one of the wires reversed, and then when I turned on the lights they shorted out?)
Is there a fuse that is specifically related to the boxes(parking light), and where is it?

Thanks for the assistance.

06 fx35 sport,tech

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did some more testing on my problem and I figured out what happened. It also gave me some more insight on how the DRL works.

The stock bulbs on US models still have a dual filament bulb. inner and outer pair of connectors

When you turn on the parking light you are sending power to the low beam filament.

When you connect the relay according to this howto you are sending power to the high beam filament.

If you have this mod in place and you turn the parking lights or headlights on you are sending power to both filaments. (if you park against a white wall put car in acc mode and then turn the parking light on and off you can see a slight difference.)

I believe the proper mode for these should be:
If headlights are off and car is on, power should be sent to the high beam of the DRL.
If headlights are on power should go to the low beam of the DRL.

This is probably why some of you have had people flash their brights at you after doing this mod. The high beam mode on the DRL is bright enough to look like another headlight.

So what happened to me was my LED bulb was not able to handle getting power from both connectors, and they melted, blowing my fuses. (They did not have a different brightness for low or high beam)

I will look into this a bit more to see if I can make a new setup that will do following:
1. Make it so the accessory power is not just directly powered on and so the backseat and trunk charging plugs aren't on all the time. (This should work by having them connected to the relay as well. Taking output from the relay and sending it to both connectors.)
2. Make it so that the high beam power is only sent if the parking light is not receiving low beam power. (This will be more tricky and require at least another relay.)

Let me know if anyone has done this yet

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
DatMan said:
First, disconnect the battery.

Follow each picture and the 1 line instruction above it.

When you're all done, remember to connect the battery and you should be good to go!
what is DTRL ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi and sorry for the late up.

I just did this on my 05 fx35 sold in US, as the previous DTR unit was not working properly.

Everything worked fine and it was easy to do. Thanks to the original poster and to the author of the pictures.

Now I've a question: aren't you afraid of these connectors move/pop out and create a short? I tried to put back the covers back so that they push down a bit the cables, but I'm still afraid something could go wrong here. Maybe a small point of glue would help making this operation safer?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts