Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the plastic head light covers on the FX? I need to clean the black of mine, got some dirt that is really bugging me.
thx,
Agilent

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
im guessing yuo wanna pull the plastic-like lense (clear part) from the asembly??

CAUTION::: this could ruin your assembly....

IF you choose to do this, its 100% on you, at your risk!!

i have heard (but not triedd) that you can put the assmebly (devoid of bulbs and wires and ballast and ignitors) in the oven, on a wood- cutting board, in the oven at 250°F for about 10 minutes, and that will warm up the glue enough to pull it apart.....

overcook it, and you are out about 1200 (ea)......

dont say i didnt warn you..

good luck (i learned to live with the very minor ghost-ilke blems on mine)

eS

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
First, try some very fine polishing compound (like Kit Scratch Out; $2 @ Wally-World) on the outside of the covers. I had this water capor ghosying-looking film/residue on mine that I could have sworn was on the inside of the covers (because no amount of washing or rubbing did anything on the outside), but when I tried the compound one day for the heck of it, low and behold, it WAS on the outside. Still took a **** of a lot of rubbing and I still haven't gotten it all, but it worked for me. Worth a shot, at least; otherwise, you're likely just going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
First, try some very fine polishing compound (like Kit Scratch Out; $2 @ Wally-World) on the outside of the covers. I had this water capor ghosying-looking film/residue on mine that I could have sworn was on the inside of the covers (because no amount of washing or rubbing did anything on the outside), but when I tried the compound one day for the heck of it, low and behold, it WAS on the outside. Still took a **** of a lot of rubbing and I still haven't gotten it all, but it worked for me. Worth a shot, at least; otherwise, you're likely just going to have to live with it.
GOOD idea MGFR

be extremely careful using anything on the lenses also.... i have polished and clayed and (ETC) mine, and still havent gotten rid of the ghosts..

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'll keep mine reflectors in. lol. Did ya see what's involved in just removing the lamps? Then sticking a $2000 worth of lamp assembly into an oven? :shock:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah...oour lamp assembly is a bit more complex than the TL's I'll admit that.

But its really not that bad. Little nerve racking in the baginning. ****, I even baked my headligh housing with the HID balast still on it. :roll:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
mushutofu said:
Yeah...oour lamp assembly is a bit more complex than the TL's I'll admit that.

But its really not that bad. Little nerve racking in the baginning. ****, I even baked my headligh housing with the HID balast still on it. :roll:
Dude, you've got some set of .... :shock:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, Thanks!

Thanks for all the good replies. I guess they were not really made to open up. I will try cleaning the surface to see if that will fix it, but I am pretty sure that it is inside. Since the price is 2k, I think I will not even try to open it up. Maybe in the near future, they will make a new after market lamp set with angel eyes built in.

Agilent

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I had this water capor ghosying-looking film/residue on mine that I could have sworn was on the inside of the covers (because no amount of washing or rubbing did anything on the outside), but when I tried the compound one day for the heck of it, low and behold, it WAS on the outside.
I'll be damned- I have that film too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
kcrudup said:
MustGoFastR said:
I had this water capor ghosting-looking film/residue on mine that I could have sworn was on the inside of the covers (because no amount of washing or rubbing did anything on the outside), but when I tried the compound one day for the heck of it, low and behold, it WAS on the outside.
I'll be damned- I have that film too.
I checked it out at my delaership one day; all the cars have it to some extent.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
all the cars have it to some extent.
I'll bet it's adhesive from shipping that doesn't come completely off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Foggy type mist

Well, what I see in mine is more like a foggy type mist in the inside. I rubbed my fingers on the area and it feels like smooth plastic, I am almost certain that it is inside the housing. You would think that Infiniti would do a better job at making sure that everything was clean before they closed it up.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket lamps made for the FX, I am hoping they make one that has the angel eyes built in with a black back ground.

agilent

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Foggy type mist

Well, what I see in mine is more like a foggy type mist in the inside. I rubbed my fingers on the area and it feels like smooth plastic, I am almost certain that it is inside the housing. You would think that Infiniti would do a better job at making sure that everything was clean before they closed it up.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket lamps made for the FX, I am hoping they make one that has the angel eyes built in with a black back ground.

agilent

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: Foggy type mist

AGILENT said:
You would think that Infiniti would do a better job at making sure that everything was clean before they closed it up.
I'd imagine if it were really "fog", it would burn off when the lights came on, no?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Take it to the dealer and jus say that your headlights are fogging up. That is most def covered and they should fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fog

It definitely is fog, but HID doesnt even touch it. I didnt even actually thnk about going to the dealer though, thx!!
Agilent

·
Registered
882 Posts
Keep us posted as to what happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts