Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what I should be using to polish the roof rail? There are some soap like stains on the roof rail which won't come off....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
pics or it didn't happen :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
imajeanius said:
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
pics or it didn't happen :lol:
I dont get it. You dont believe polish/wax/clay works on the rails or that they look good at 110k?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
johnmax said:
imajeanius said:
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
pics or it didn't happen :lol:
I dont get it. You dont believe polish/wax/clay works on the rails or that they look good at 110k?
Yea I wanna see how they look at 110k miles!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Darren804 said:
Hum ... I don't know that a clay bar is going to get that off. It looks like it's spotted on there. If you run your hand over that part, is it smooth? If so, I really don't think a clay bar is going to get that off. You'll probably have to remove the rails and then give them a good polish. Seal them up afterwards and give it a good coat of wax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Hmmm.. not sure, but maybe a mild rubbing compound might help take that off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
imajeanius said:
johnmax said:
imajeanius said:
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
pics or it didn't happen :lol:
I dont get it. You dont believe polish/wax/clay works on the rails or that they look good at 110k?
Yea I wanna see how they look at 110k miles!!!
here ya go. Hasnt been washed in a week though, or waxed in a few months, and they still look great.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
4 seasons of boarding on mine. you just gotta take care of them :wink: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did ...washed it a day or two after each boarding trip...I don't remember washing it after the trip two weeks ago probably because the car didn't look dirty...not sure how this happened...guess I better pay more attention to the racks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
John, I don't think the "silver" roof rails the OP is referring to are painted. I realize you have the black ones, which are painted, but the aluminum rails aren't painted. I don't know if polishing them with a paint polish would do anything beneficial.


Darren804 said:
Anyone know what I should be using to polish the roof rail? There are some soap like stains on the roof rail which won't come off....
I have the aluminum rails, and several years ago they were getting spotted too. I used Mothers aluminum wheel polish and a cloth to polish them up, and they turned out nice. That's what I'd recommend. :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GixxerSteve said:
johnmax said:
They are painted so any polish should do. Try clay bar. I usually hit mine with the claybar then wax them. They still look great after 110k miles so it must work.
John, I don't think the "silver" roof rails the OP is referring to are painted. I realize you have the black ones, which are painted, but the aluminum rails aren't painted. I don't know if polishing them with a paint polish would do anything beneficial.


Darren804 said:
Anyone know what I should be using to polish the roof rail? There are some soap like stains on the roof rail which won't come off....
I have the aluminum rails, and several years ago they were getting spotted too. I used Mothers aluminum wheel polish and a cloth to polish them up, and they turned out nice. That's what I'd recommend. :idea:
Thanks! so much to try on Monday when I detail the car......I'll update after the wash and let you guys know what works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up picking up a Turtle Wax polishing compound for light-med oxidation... they have a rubbing compound for heavier oxidation but I opted to use the lighter one first.

I applied the polishing compound to the right hand side to show the difference. The racks don't look as bad now, I say 70% better but I can still see a faint white residue.. Of course it's still bugging me but I guess it's better than nothing.

I did try to use plexus plastic cleaner first... didn't work.. then I tried to use some zaino on it.. didn't work... that's when I started using the turtle wax polish.


Here's a picture before I applied anything.


wonder if I should go try the aluminum wheel polish that GixxerSteve mentioned? quit while ahead or go for the win? =P

Thank you all for your help. I'm going back downstairs now to remove my snowboard rack.....sad time of the year... removal of racks to signify the end of the snowboarding season.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
Darren804 said:
sad time of the year... removal of racks to signify the end of the snowboarding season.
But it's signaling that bikini season is near!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DatMan said:
Darren804 said:
sad time of the year... removal of racks to signify the end of the snowboarding season.
But it's signaling that bikini season is near!
hahaha unfortunately the weather here in San Francisco is too foggy and rarely warm enough for bikinis.... =D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
Darren804 said:
hahaha unfortunately the weather here in San Francisco is too foggy and rarely warm enough for bikinis.... =D
You think Canada's any better? But we still find enough excuses to take off our winter sweaters... :p
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top