Infiniti FX Forum banner

HOW TO INSTALL A PARKING SENSOR (BACK-UP MONITOR) IN YOUR FX OR QX

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  mwr 
#1 ·
PARKING SENSOR INSTALLATION NOTES – 2004 INFINITI FX45

Turns out it was not very hard to install 4 parking sensors in the rear bumper of my 2004 Infiniti FX45. Moreover, I would say this installation should work well for all FX and QX models.

This is approximately a 2-3 hour job for the first timer, and it’s not that hard to do providing you request the .pdf of the installation tips to follow.

WHAT SENSOR DO I BUY?
I recommend you buy the “wireless” parking sensor on Amazon ($36):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FT1M3WY?ps ... ct_details

==> To obtain complete details and installation tips, you can download the attached .pdf file.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As a follow-up post ~1 year later, the sensors have been working great!

I chose the RF option so I did not have to hard wire the power or deal with running wires from the sensor control box to the visible backup display which is mounted so the driver can see it.

For power I used the backseat cigarette lighter. And I like being able to turn off the monitor power which may prolong the life of this device. (TBD)

So far so good. And it would be a great Father-Son or Mother-Daughter project to learn about DIY PROJECTS. (Just in time for x-mas if you would like to have a back-up monitor.) And FYI, I prefer the backup monitors you hear more than the ones you look at!

#3 ·
Nice MWR. I must have missed this the first time around. Those would be nice on my FX. Do you have any photos of the finished install?

#5 ·
Thanks

This post has been deleted
#6 · (Edited)
It is good to note that the first 4 sockets (closest to the wires) are for the rear sensors, while the rest for the front.
Personally, I think 8 parking sensors is overkill, but to each their own. However, instead of putting all 4 in the back you could just put 2 in the rear bumper and 2 in the front bumper, but you will have lot of wires to run/hide, since all sensor wires need to be connected to the parking module.

Having installed 4 sensors in the rear bumper myself, everything is working good and I can rely on the beeping sounds which get shorter the closer you get to an object... and when the beeps become a solid sound then I know I am inside 1 foot. I really don't need to look at the distance meter, but it too is a nice conformation of how much room I am working with.

If I were to install my sensors differently, I would not change the two center sensor holes, but I would move the edge sensors in about 1" closer to the lens. This way I would not get so many "beeps" when I park next to a car I'm not worried about hitting. What I am saying is that the two center sensors are the most important; which means you might just want to install 2 sensorsand not 4.

Also, I never get a false warning from any sensor.

This parking sensor device is very reliable and cheap. And since all our FX models have terrible rear view exposure, I'm really surprised Infiniti did not install parking sensors on every model.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.