Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, at the request of arznajck to figure out this squeak/rattle thing, i'll just post the whole set up here for anybody would might run into this problem in the future. any service tech that tells you the seat heater controls are not the culprit simply doesn't know what he's talking about or are too lazy to look into it. i can't find this one thread, but i remember someone on either this forum of the other FX forum saying that the sounds from the shifter is indeed coming from the seat heater controls.

so arznajck, you said you have those felt pieces with the sticky backing. i've never seen it before, nor have i seen service tech apply them in the car, so this write up will be about using tissue paper. good ol' kleenex to the rescue.

first thing you need to do is take apart that trim piece. you should refer to this first:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=20799
slowly pry it open, last thing you want is broken clips here and there

1) so now that you've taken the trim piece off, nudge the part of the console where the seat heaters are located at, if you here sounds from there, then this writeup applies to you. then locate the four screws holding the seat heater controls together.

2) take the 4 screws apart, and be extremely careful not to drop it into the abyss, because i'm sure it'll be a pain to fish it out of there, put them one by one safely aside.

3) now take one piece of tissue paper, fold it in half, then in half, then in half, then in half again, it should look something like this, and just place it on top like so. if you'll notice there were 4 pikes sticking out, 2 on each side of the controls, 1 of them is way bigger than the other one, the small one is practically flush with the surface. well once you have that folded piece of tissue paper, place it on top like so and gently push down on the pike, don't worry about the smaller one. don't worry about the thickness of the paper, it'll be fine, however don't put anymore than that, since that would be generous amount of padding.

4) the image below is from the old tissue paper, but it shows what i mean when the pike was sticking out. nevermind the two holes, they were from the screws from the previous install.

5) also when you flip the underside of the control, you'll see grooves and such, you'll want to put another piece of folded tissue paper there, don't worry about it not sticking there, you can adjust it when you screw the thing back together again.

6) well, not that you're inside there, you might as well slip some tissue paper between the cracks and crevices to be sure it doesn't rattle, although i don't think those would be a culprit, you never know

7) this next picture is the underside of the trim piece, unscrew all the screws, and fit single layer of tissue paper underneath each screw

8) more places to put tissue paper

9) you might want to fit tissue paper here too, the part at the cup holder, you'll have to unscrew the cupholder

10) well now just carefully screw the 4 screws back on to the seat heater controller. do not tighten it all the way until you have all 4 screws in, just like how you wouldn't tighten the lugs on the tire right away. so once everything is finger tight, try to nudge the part of the console where the heater controls are. hopefully there are no sounds coming out. slowly tighten each one and nudge it every so often to hear for any sounds. what i notice is that they don't need to be extremely tight, just enough is fine. in fact too tight is what causes these sounds (at least in my case).

11) now that you screwed the 4 screws together, carefully align the trim piece and start from the front portion, and gently push down, this would be the hard part, but easy does it. then start moving towards the back but as you reach to the seat heaters, be firm but gentle and push down on it. the reason for this is because there is a clip that goes into the hole which the thick tissue paper is blocking, so be extremely careful at that area, after that continue pushing down on the rest of the trim piece once you have everything in place, run your finger against the chrome piece to make sure the trim piece is completely flush with everything else and no area is sticking up. reinstall that piece that hooks up to the arm rest and you're done.

as a note, this is a fix that probably would last 2 to 3 months, then you have to take those two pieces of tissue paper out from the heater controls and reapply them again. yes, an annoyance, but if this can save you a trip to the dealer who refuses to acknowledge that the heater controls are the culprit and saves you money from buying more felt pieces from the dealer or anywhere else, then this is as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Re: Center Console - AREA - Noise

Nicely done.

Although its pathetic that as usual the dealer techs dont know ****, and WE have to show them how to fix our vehicles.

And we have to use tissues to fix a problem on a $50k+ vehicle :roll:

I'd print this thread out and show it to them next time youre there.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts

Mmmmmm ghetto fixin's! :lol: Genius though.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Surely there is a better material than a kleenex for this fix? shouldn't have to go back and redo it 3 times a year. Anyone?

Have enough people reported this problem formally to their dealers to get a service bulletin issued from Infiniti?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

akbillw said:
Surely there is a better material than a kleenex for this fix? shouldn't have to go back and redo it 3 times a year. Anyone?
I'm thinking using velcro... just the soft side (not the side with the plastic hooks)... you can buy strips of velcro from the dollar store and just throw away the side with the plastic hooks as that will just scratch things up...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Jr. FXer -

Many thanks for the write-up. I got it done tonight.

I AGREE 100% - the seat climate control module is the culprit. I was able to reproduce the noise before performing the fix. I did not use tissue, instead I used a 3M urethane foam tape that has adhesive on one side. This was part of the iPod controller kit from Nissan that I had left over from when I installed that on my 06 FX.

It worked awesome. I cut the pieces to length and padded every spot that the seat climate control module attaches to. After doing so, the noise was no longer.

Thanks again for your help Jr. FXer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any time arznajck. i also posted on the other thread about possibly using rubber cement.

"well just a thought, since we need some kind of cushioning or padding, one way is to apply rubber cement on the contact areas of the heater controls and the inside of the console. just apply a layer or three, let it dry, then screw it back in. it's just a suggestion, could possibly be a more permanent fix than tissue paper."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes,

I agree using a foam tape with a single sticky side, It would be good to know whether that works and solves the problem for good, re-doing it is nonsense. I am also considering using textile ( or some kind of fabric ) or cutting up one of those anti-slip rubber mats you use on the dashboard or place under carpets so that the carpet doesn't slide on a hardwood floor. Its very elastic and doesn't loose its softness while under pressure by the screws ( kleenex will get hard under pressure ). I will work on it this weekend and post my findings.

Vladimir

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did it work for ya?
Srabotalo?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!

This worked great. Instead of tissue paper, I simply cut 1/8-1/4 inch strips of self-adhesive foam weatherstripping and stuck it right onto the metal clip that the screws go into. Works great!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another vote for weatherstripping, they come in several sizes and self-adhesive on one side. Works great on any rattles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts