Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on buying an 05 FX in March or so, and I have yet to test drive either, but what is the power difference. I really want the V8, since I currently own a Z28 and like power. But, I hear the V6 is powerful enough. My sister owns a I35, and that thing got some balls. My question is: does the fx35 lack power in any way? I really dont care about 1 mpg, so I would get either one. Then again, the 45 will probably cost at least $5,000 more. Let me know what you guys think!

BTW.....Im new here. 8)

·
Registered
882 Posts
the 35 has ample power but the V8 obviously has more pull/torque. Your gonna have to test drive one yourself but the 35 was plenty fast for me. Plus, there are more mods out for the 35

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem deciding which to get too. I test drove both the 35 and 45, and ended up with the 45.

I almost got a 35 and was going to mod it up, but figured a 45 was better than any moded 35 in the end.

To me the difference was huge and I'm glad I made the choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanna get every option except the dvd player. How much more would I end up paying for the 45? I figured about $7000 more on the Infiniti site, does that seem accurate?

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's going to depend on a few things for you...
Is the difference significant enough to justify the price difference?
Are you going to modify the vehicle? Some here will argue that you can make up the difference at a much lower cost...others disagree.

I'd recommend you test drive both (same day so there's no difference in weather conditions). And, read these two threads...
A day at the Drag Strip
See page 2 for spreadsheet with track times

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on driving both on the same day. So the 35 is about 1 second slower from 0-60? Thats what I understand. Since I dont plan on taking it to the track, I dont see that as a significant difference. I just dont wanna buy a vehicle that feels underpowered, as some have said about the FX35.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Let me underline ,you can feel one second(a second over 2 gears is real),do drive both and decide if the diff is significant and what you want...simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brnjugfx45 said:
Let me underline ,you can feel one second(a second over 2 gears is real),do drive both and decide if the diff is significant and what you want...simple.

Yea...thats the only answer I guess. Im just anxious to get it, but I wanna wait till after the winter. Its just so **** hard to wait... :(

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
KrayzieJoe said:
I plan on driving both on the same day. So the 35 is about 1 second slower from 0-60?
Yes and no. A stock AWD '35 is about 1 sec slower 0-60 than a stock '45. My RWD '35 with it's mods, however, is only .2-.3 sec slower 0-60 than a stock '45.

Do you need AWD? How important is gas milage to you?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
He lives in BOSTON!!
AWD

What you see is lots of loyaty for whatever someone bought.Any dealer will let you test drive. You can do that now and begin to negotiate a price. :idea:

The statement that lots of mods exist for the 35 is true if you want to look on-line or in a catalog.If you understand motors/cars,there are simple mods to the 45 that open it up for very little money,air filter and exhaust and +2 degrees of timing,let alone suspension work STB,springs and spacers all of which have caugt on in the last couple of months(or less)It continues to amaze me about how few simple mods 35 or 45 people have done,YET the statement that lots of 35 mods are there for you persists! :roll:

Drive them and decide,both can go much further,that choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
KrayzieJoe said:
I just dont wanna buy a vehicle that feels underpowered, as some have said about the FX35.
Its got to be a personal decision; clearly you ane concerned with power - I was not per se. I wanted a sporty crossover SUV (I wanted to sit higher than a sport sedan); but not one to race at the track.

My FX35 replaced an '02 Acura TL Type S as my daily driver. I do not consider my FX35 to be underpowered at all. But as others have pointed out your "power" desires will go a long way to determining if your expectations will be satisfied. How much power do you desire?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My first trip in Boston during the "construction",I said to my guess.I did not know that PennDot did work out of state?

Is it completed(sorry off topic)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes....I def need the AWD here in Boston. I commute to work every morning for 30 min, so I would prefer the AWD. I know about RWD, since I drive a Z28. So, I know I want the AWD, I just dont know which engine to get. People say the 45 really is a gas guzzler, but the numbers only show a 1 mpg difference. I gotta weight the power/gas mileage and decide what makes more sense for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
there are simple mods to the 45 that open it up for very little money,air filter and exhaust and +2 degrees of timing
How much of a difference has the K&N and exhaust made on your 45? Any 0-60 comparisons? Must ... have ... more ... power! :D

I already had the +2 done last trip to the dealer, but didn't really notice much of a difference...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
On gas for the 45,KN,exhaust,lowered(smaller air window),and I was pulling 21.5 at 80-85 cruising.In the city 13.5Stock was 19.5 best.

K&N,exhaust and I was racing and beating 350Z'son power and hanging with them in corners.Rims,Eiback's STB no contest on corners,plus shift mod,torque converter and they are off my hit list.At the 15000 service they replaced my K&N without my knowledge.I was PO about the loss of performance until I realized what happened.Had that filter back in quickIf you feel it that clearly its a tenthI do not do 0-60,but let your motor breath and you will feel the diff of the filter Kenny will confirm the filter(its $40,just do it).The +2 is a bottom end punch.Exhaust is $300-350 and you pull strong to 7000

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I could also tell a difference in power with the K&N so I highly recommend it. As far as your decision on a 45 vs. a 35. I don't know anyone with a 45 regret their decision, while the same can't be said for the 35. If you can afford it, I would get the 45.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Just another perspective on that count: I know of a couple people that regretted getting the '45 b/c it couldn't support their mod habits and ended up tradeing for something else. If you're into mods, bolt-ons and tinkering in the garage, the '45 isn't the best choice.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Reminds me of one note Johnny!

Modding means more than bolting on.If peolple with 45's want to they can mod to their hearts content or their budgets limit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts