Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first oil change. I wanted to do it after the break in period but a little late. :cry: I'm at 2015 miles. My amsoil filter came in and I'm swtiching to mobile 1.
Anyone know how many quarts of oil our engine takes? I thought it was 5 quarts but not sure.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
mushutofu said:
Anyone know how many quarts of oil our engine takes?
Which engine? I know the VK ('45) is listed for 7 qts, but you'll get a low-end rumble unless you only fill it to 6-6.5 qts.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VQ

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The book says 5 quarts even, but when I take my Mobil 1 in, my tech always puts in 4 Qts, 20 Oz (leaving 10 Oz in the bottle) and the level is right where it should be.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Where does the other 2 oz go? :?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx

·
Registered
204 Posts
johnmax said:
The tech saves it, so after, umm.... 74 oil changes, he has enough to change the oil in his FX for free

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
gtxjoe said:
The tech saves it, so after, umm.... 74 oil changes, he has enough to change the oil in his FX for free
Let's see:

2 oz saved per change
needs 148 oz (4 qts, 20 oz)
148 / 2 = 74 oil changes

just checking. LMAO!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
mushutofu said:
Doing my first oil change. I wanted to do it after the break in period but a little late. :cry: I'm at 2015 miles. My amsoil filter came in and I'm swtiching to mobile 1.
Anyone know how many quarts of oil our engine takes? I thought it was 5 quarts but not sure.
Look under the "How-To" section for a writeup showing capacities, torque specs etc...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
johnmax said:
2 oz? Where do you get that? There are 32 oz/qt. Anyway, I get about 12 oz back that I keep in the garage for top-offs or whatever. After 3 oil changes, I'll have a spare quart.

Oh, nevermind. I see what I did. Now I'll have to look again and see if I get back 10 or 12 oz. Anyway, I think he puts in roughly 4 2/3 quarts.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
johnmax said:
2 oz? Where do you get that? There are 32 oz/qt. Anyway, I get about 12 oz back that I keep in the garage for top-offs or whatever. After 3 oil changes, I'll have a spare quart.

Oh, nevermind. I see what I did. Now I'll have to look again and see if I get back 10 or 12 oz. Anyway, I think he puts in roughly 4 2/3 quarts.
you are topping off on the VQ??

((or just in general?))

-eS

ps- i wanna give ya a call sometime today, if you're available

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
MustGoFastR said:
johnmax said:

you are topping off on the VQ??

((or just in general?))

-eS

ps- i wanna give ya a call sometime today, if you're available
In general. I've never had to top off the VQ.

I'll be home by 4:30 central (and all evening) if you want to give me a ring. Got a guy coming at 4:30 to replace a broken spring on my garage door. I was wiping down the FX w/ Z6 when the thing went; scared the crap out of me!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
my tech always puts in 4 Qts, 20 Oz (leaving 10 Oz in the bottle...
32-20-10=2. Maybe he spills the 2 oz on your motor when he's inverting the container? :lol:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I know the VK ('45) is listed for 7 qts, but you'll get a low-end rumble unless you only fill it to 6-6.5 qts.
FWIW, my 14.5 KMi '45 didn't burn a drop of oil between it's last oil change at -3,750, and it looked like honey; I could have put it on pancakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts