Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many miles do you have on your 1 GEN FX35/45?

I am the original owner of a 1st GEN FX35 (built 2/2005) Gold/Tan 5-Speed Automatic SUV with 147,301 miles. I am seriously debating if the value is worth the upkeep on the best vehicle I've ever owned, especially since crossing the 100,000 mile mark, I have spent $13,289.67 on repairs/maintenance (not including gasoline, oil change every 3k miles, tire rotation, cabinet/engine filters) in the past four years. After 100k, the repairs (all at an Infinity Authorized Dealership) have escalated; yet, I still thoroughly enjoy the vehicle. Cost to maintain would likely be far less if I were a trained mechanic, of which I am not.

How many miles do you have on your 1st GEN FX35/45??

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Higher mileage is not really a problem as far as the 35 is concerned. All of the usual problems (i.e.. door locks, wheel bearings, CD player issues, and bubbling dashboard) have probably already occurred in yours so I don't see why your cost of repairs is going to go up dramatically. Here is a thread with a few owners at or past the 200,000 mark.

With the 45 you may have to factor in an oil consuming engine and possible related problems as it gets higher in mileage but the 35 is rock solid. I haven't heard of many tranny replacements for either.

http://www.infinitifx.org/10-general-chat/17738-200-000-miles.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a list of the repairs since passing 100k for my FX35; I recalculated after deleting brakes/pads, rotors, tires, transmissions flush/fluid can came up with a total of $9,694.23; not as bad upon removing those items;

Major repairs since after 100K

Emissions - Valve Assy, Gasket, Matic's Auto TRANSMI 103,778
New Lock Assembly - Front, Right & Both Rear 103.778
Driver Seat/Track Frame Replaced 103,778
Spark Plugs 103.778
Radiator; Replacement 122,982
Trans Cooler Hoses leaking/replaced hoses 124,334
Transmission Slipping; Flushed Transmission, replaced fluid 127,523
Replace Three Way Catalyst; Nut-Front Exhaust, Gasket/Gasket 136,348
Inflator-Air Bag Asst/Harness Kit-Sub; Repair 146,019 (Recall)
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 146,019
Camshaft Oil Seal Replacement 146,019
Camshaft Sensor; Sensor Assy Magnet 146,733

Thanks for the link; I'll certainly read through the thread!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
If you get a good mechanic, your costs will go WAY down as well... For example, I had a few hub bearings replaced at the dealership... In Canada, it was over $1200 before taxes... I have a good mechanic that does the SAME job for me for about $400 with taxes... The dealership really gouges you...

·
Registered
2 Posts
165K on a 2004 FX35. It's a beast. I just put another 6k in another coast to coast trip that included Tail of the Dragon. I'm getting worried about repairs. The front seat ticked me off. These are not full leather seats and I'm not sure how to repair the damaged bits. I'm starting to seriously think about an upgrade but I can see adding another 35k miles.

Some repair history:
Just replaced a camshaft sensor thing due it leaking oil
AC compressor replaced; condenser needs to replaced next
All gas struts for hood and rear hatch were just replaced
Replaced the front two door lock actuators. One of the back ones is starting to get wonky.
A door handle broke
Wheel bearing went out
Front seat gear went out

Other stuff:
Rear rubber suspension pads (?) - Left it as bad
Gas shocks and struts are going to need to be repaired soon
Black trim is not painted and is peeling off chrome parts

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
There's a generic lock actuator you can buy and do the fix yourself... I think it runs less than $40 per corner...

Wheel bearings can be replaced by ANY mechanic... I've had them done at the dealership AND a good local mechanic... I could have all 4 corners done at my mechanic what the dealer charges for 1...

Someone was selling a replacement gear a while back... Not sure if it's sold yet...

If you need to replace your suspension, you might want to look into coilovers by BC Racing... HUGE upgrade...

·
Registered
3 Posts
195000 and running great. Changing out all my interior to Black. No major issues so far. Got all the black parts at a Junkyard in Austin Texas. Mine is a 2004 FX45 and it was the Black and Brick red or orange color. So far changed out all the carpet to black. Seats to black but updating driving seat memory thing to door. Changing out door panels to black. Seats are from 2008 FX35. Also updated middle console to 2008 console which is much better. Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm wondering what's the highest mileage recorded on an FX for both Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Reactions: Vicfelix1

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a 2005 FX 45 from a retired widow who only drove it 5K a year and garaged it in winters while she was in FL. 71K miles when I got it 2 months ago. Absolutely pristine interior and exterior. Everything worked like new, had brand new tires and battery, and vehicle runs like a top. Changed all Fluids and belts, ran some Seafoam thru it, updated the Nav to the latest CD and gave it new front brakes and Rotors. Other than drinking a little too much premium fuel, this vehicle is a beast and I hope to get many relatively cost free years out of it. There is no substitute for V8 power if you are willing to pay for the fuel....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just passed 159k on mine. Engine and tranny still feel strong. But i am pretty sure the right rear bearings are going out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
2008 Infiniti FX45, just passed 153000 miles. Added over 60,000 miles in two years, definitively a huge fan of the long power band and deep growl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reporting here again, 18,000 miles added in the last 13 months hitting - 171,000 miles soon on my 2008 Infiniti FX45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
223k on my 03 FX45. Overall, not many issues over the years. Just recently the transmission had shifting issues but ive never replaced the fluid so its my own fault. I pulled the VB out and replaced the solenoids and its back on the road ready for 300k.

·
Registered
38 Posts
77k on my FX45 !! Bought it a year ago from an estate sale where the decesed lady only drove in in the summer ( Wintered in FL) and owned it since new. Pristine and runs flawlessly.
A fantastic find.. changed all the belts and fluids myself and she's ready for another 10 years !

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2004 FX35 is at 175k and running great. I've had to replace all 4 wheel bearings and seized up rear caliper in the past year, but that wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2004 FX35 98,435 still going strong. I had to replace the original Infiniti factory battery just last year. Replaced the starter. The Electronic throttle control actuator. EVAP purge volume control solenoid. All 4 struts and shocks. One Drivers side window motor. Replaced all interior and exterior marker lights with LED.
Once I get money flowing again, I need to replace the following which is pretty much normal wear.
OIL COOLER SEAL LEAKING
BOTH OUTER TIE ROD BOOTS TORN
* REPLACE BOTH OUTER TIE ROD ENDS
BUSHING TORN AND LEAKING
* REPLACE REAR SUBFRAME
Hood Struts and Rear Hatch need replacing.
And now the parts that shouldn't of failed.
CrissCross tearing of the drivers side seat.
Bubbling of the dash. Side mirror controls are inop.
Door locks stop working when it's hot out.
Bose left side speakers stopped working when playing CD's Now CD player will not play and all CD's are stuck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts