Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a complete replacement of all the speakers? That brand of speaker will fit? The front right speaker in the dashboard is damage from being over driven, is this easy to replace? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just got done replacing mine w/ a set of A/D/S/ components (6.5" in the doors, 1" tweeters on the dash); left the center speaker in.

BOSE calls them 'Twiddlers'.... it's a 3" speaker and honestly, I couldn't find anything remotely close to its size. What I had to do was trace the Twiddler's bracket onto a sheet of 1/4" plywood and cut out a custom bracket for my tweeters. I also had to do the same for the woofers, making a spacer/bracket for the 6.5" drivers to fit in the stock location using 1/2" MDF. On the dash, it would be impossible to mount anything over 3.5"... and I'm not even convinced that a 3.5" speaker would fit. I know that Rainbow makes a driver that would fit in that location but I am not sure of what model number it is. I would love to know as well - I want to replace the center channel.

It is fairly difficult to unscrew/screw on the speakers since there's so little room between the dash and windshield. I ended up using a phillips bit and a wrench to tighten/loosen those screws. Overall the install was a major pain in the a$$ because I decided to route new 16ga speaker wire as well from the components to my amp... but it was well worth the time & money - The improvement in the sound is insane.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Replacing speakers is covered in a few threads on this forum:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1356
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1648

Dash speakers should be pretty easy to replace since the ones used are pretty industry standard. The door ones are the PITA to replace because they run at 2 ohms instead of 4. The only ones that I've been able to find that would be drop-in replacements are the ones that FX4U2C references in his posts, the Image Dynamics CSX62.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Dash speakers should be pretty easy to replace since the ones used are pretty industry standard.
3" speakers are industry standard? The smallest mfrs make are either 1" tweeters or 3.5" full range, neither of which are just 'drop in'.

But I agree, if you keep the stock amp, then I suggest you go with the IDs since they make 2ohm speakers... although I'm convinced that the impedence of the Bose speakers are even lower than 2ohm.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
ujmot said:
3" speakers are industry standard? The smallest mfrs make are either 1" tweeters or 3.5" full range, neither of which are just 'drop in'.
Whoops, you are probably right on the size. What I meant was from an impedence perspective it's easier to find a 4 ohm speaker than a 2 ohm speaker so you could "drop in" those into the logical chain of the sound system without having to make other modifications.

As far as the physical fit, I thought only the center was an oddball 3" oval and the left and right were 3.5" that something like a Rainbow Dream Line KX 87 would be a candidate to fit into?

ujmot, I think you have actually done this for real so I'll gladly defer to you for the final word.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've got the speakers out so I'll post pics of them tonight. I measured the Left & Right dash speakers as ~3". I thought the center was exactly the same also.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here's a pic of the Twiddler:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
:) No prob. I have to say after taking out these speakers, I'm shocked how cheap these speakers are (even for a mass produced, profit maximized design). The paper cone is of the cheapest materials and I think the surround is made of rubberized cotton gauge...

Here are the pics of the tweeters in place of the twiddlers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Look at the quality difference between the A/D/S/ woofer and the Bose

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In the door. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Great pics! So are these impedance matched direct drop-in replacements for the Bose speakers? You're still running them off the stock amp, right? You planning on replaceing the rear door & pillar speakers as well?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Great pics! So are these impedance matched direct drop-in replacements for the Bose speakers? You're still running them off the stock amp, right? You planning on replaceing the rear door & pillar speakers as well?
Thanks Steve. :)

No, I've run new speaker wires to a Soundstream amp which is currently in the spare tire compartment. I looked at the stock wiring and I doubt I could strip it even using a 18 or 20 guage setting on my wirestripper - they're that thin! I'm planning on bi-amping the components @ 140 watts per channel, so upgrading the wire was priority.

I am still unsure of what the true impedence of the stock speakers are. Some say 2ohms, some say 1ohm... both sources are fairly credible. Also, I am doubtful that the Bose amp will push the new components cleanly and strong enough for any good set of speakers to shine. I've realized that the signal from the headunit is fairly clean... so the true weak link must be the speakers and amp. Looking at the stock amp, it's pathetic looking... what do you expect from a packaged audio system?

I've kept the rears stock as they are fine as rear fill. After wrestling with the wiring and literally taking apart the hatch area, pulling up trim and carpet to properly run all the wires, I've decided that changing the rears aren't worth the trouble. I set the fade to front one notch and I hardly notice sound coming from the back - which is what I want to set a proper soundstage. More pics and a short write up to come when I finish the sub and install. :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Hey, what's the MOMO box in the background of Mids 2.JPG?
:) Its my Polk Momo 8" subs. They only require 0.35cu ft of sealed enclosure each and having so little space to work with, it was the main reason I went with them. A lot of people rag on Polk Momo gear without ever listening to them. I think it's because it has 'Momo' on it, they disregard it dressed up crap. I used to dismiss them also until I went out and listened to them. IMO, Polk makes very good SQ, quality subs & speakers for the money. Not going to win any SPL contests by any means, but they impressed me enough to go with those little 8s. More than enough for what I want... not looking to rattle windows from 5 blocks away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts