Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in a 350Z for my FX45 and know it's the same motor as in the FX35. The VQ 3.5 liter is supposed to be the best 6 cylinder motor there is.
How does the 4.5L motor rate when compaired to all other V8's?

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
The 4.5 VK is a decent engine but I don't recall seeing any major awards
Plus, if you look at any of the engine annoyances of the FX, the two most posted involve the 45. For example, oil shudder (overfilled) and loud noise at startup.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annoyances are just that. I would like to have some work done to this motor at some point while staying NA. I didn't want to touch the 3.5L since it was so sweet and smooth but it just doesnt have the grunt potential for the FX I'm lookin for. At least while staying NA. Maybe these guys will have something for the 4.5 in the future.

http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?p ... q35stroker

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
In order of future mods are the re-flash ECU,sound system,Nismo LSD(needs collar to mate to larger axles than 35) amd heads ported.I have had and raced turbo and super and would like to keep this NA.I have used Champion Racing heads in Daytona Beach(one of the best) and a young guy in Texas who does Subaru racing(under contract...will probably go here...since he wants them).

The potential is there!!!...particullarly given a racing program

PS While I am unclear what value the award has,particularlly given the point spread,better to win than not.The '05 changes to the 35 motor are nice and the Techs say that they are going back to an EGR for better mileage while staying within emissions.Bottom line,they are continuing progress

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FXLENT said:
Plus, if you look at any of the engine annoyances of the FX, the two most posted involve the 45. For example, oil shudder (overfilled) and loud noise at startup.
The "oil overfill" condition is easily handled, and the number of people experiencing the "loud noise at startup" is confined to a very few.

There's no need to discount the VK over little things like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts