Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of 3-ton craftsman jack stands that I planned on using to hold up the FX. I took a look under the car and saw the frame rails. How do I use the jack stands with those? It looks like they would bend the **** out of them. I called every local nissan/infiniti dealer to see if they had those jack stand adapters, and none knew what I was talking about.

The jack stands look similar to the pic attached. Should I just put them a few inches further down the frame rails on a beefy part? Help!! Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I used these below:

Ordered them from Summit Racing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

If there's any doubt on size go a size up rather than down. They also have a jack lift pad so you don't mess up the undercarriage.

They worked fine. I had my FX jaced for about 4 days solid this summer. No problems.

I knew about the hockey puck option but frankly didn't have access to hockey pucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How exactly does the hockey puck thing work? I'm a little confused. Does it sit on the jack stand like it does when it is sitting on the ice? Aren't you afraid of it slipping out of the jack stand if this is the case?

Also, for those adapters you bought, how do those protect the frame rail? You put it under the beefy part or the pinch weld that is there for the factory jack?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
With the hockey puck thing you cut out notches for the jackstand and for the frame rails.

For the prothane things I bought they provide just enough cushioning to prevent it from crushing the pinch weld. The weight is still being supported by the frame rail you're just not making metal to metal contact. Let's be clear, if I were going to be working underneath the FX this is not the system I'd be using. But for rotating tires or working on the brakes it was fine.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah I never seem to be in a hockey puck store, so i just jack on those pinch welds. Yeah after 4 years they look a lil bit messed up, but oh well. I cant see them unless I'm layin under there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys..if I can't find any hockey pucks, I'll just jack up by those pinch welds.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Sure thing. One last trick I remembered. Here's the way my local garage guys taught me this summer:

Lower the FX to just the point where the jack stands are supporting the FX then raise the floor jack just enough so it's providing support (to the jacking point) as well. Leave the floor jack extended and in place. Now you have three support points: the floor jack and each of the two jackstands. It's one extra point of support for the vehicle.

This provides two main benefits: First it relieves some of the pressure from the jackstands. Second in the event of a jackstand failure the jack should be able to support the vehicle on its own.

I used this method this summer with both front and rear jacking points. I've also used it with the vehicle up on four jackstands and while only using two.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
johnmax said:
Yeah I never seem to be in a hockey puck store,
One of the beauties of living in Canada... pucks seem to grow on trees here...

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts