·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
They wouldn't look very good, that's for sure -

My .02

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
MAn, I bet it'd look good. I want to see that air scoop on the hood so who wanna start first?
IMO, yes the engine bay is hot but NOT hamful, If I do it for my car, I will consider it as for looks only though, with a little funtionality.
If we do it, I insist we do our home work first. For our particular FX, we need to understand how cool air enter in the engine bay and how it scapes, that way we can determinate to design either suck COOL air in or draw HOT air out and most importantly, chose the location. It cost cheaper to add air scoop to suck cool air in than have the hood modify and repaint to draw hot air out.
Other idea, cheap and easy to DIY is by removing the plastic belly pan, this will allow more air in the engine bay but not sure how much drag (and dust/mud) will develop in higher speed. I did this "mod" when I took my car to the race track to get some numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts

SLK55 with SLR engine.

Look at that hood scoop

Jim

[edit by particlefx: fixed image url]

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Someone please do this mod so I can submit your picture to laughatrice.com.
Funny you should mention that. That was my first thought also.

Just as the rails belong on the top, the hood isn't meant to be violated by carving holes in it. :(

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
contaygious said:
hey watch urself what's wrong with taking off the bulky rails? the top of the fx isn't boxy, but the rails sure make it look that way

One shouldn't tamper with perfection - :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jim, first I thought those two black things on the hood looked like a pair of webfoot thingy for snorkelling. :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Someone please do this mod so I can submit your picture to laughatrice.com.
Maybe we could start laughatkraut.com for that benz? :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No no no... im not talking about putting some hood scoop on the car. Im talking about putting some flush VENTS on the hood for heat to rise through - the SL 55 has sort of what im talking about near the front window

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.