Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just took about an hour to install the OEM hood deflector since I was very careful and some instruction steps were not very clear. It's quality made, but I do not like how it's attached to the hood with metal brackets and five visible screw heads (i.e. hood > protective anti-abrasion tape > bracket > deflector > washer > screw).

I've installed a Weathertech deflector on a Murano before where it's cleanly attached underneath the hood to existing screw holes. Unfortunately Weathertech hasn't created one for the FX yet and I'm not even sure if they can design a clean installation like with other vehicles.

If I had to do it over again I'm not sure I'd purchase the OEM deflector. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune once it saves me from stone chips and shattered windshields though! Some may recommend getting a clear bra, but I don't want to spend $600 for materials + installation costs. Self-installation is not too difficult with smaller areas or flat surfaces. However the FX's curvy, bulging hood will be a bitch to work on (for an amateur).

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i thought this to when i installed mine, but after having an FX for 18 months with no deflector, i couldnt take all the bugs in the summer and the rock chips in the front of the hood.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had to throw away the first one after getting hit by a piece of concrete and I have been quite happy with OEM one. Even though Weathertech makes quality products, sometimes their design is not specifically designed for each model. I had 3 weathertech deflectors so far and for Honda Odysse, I returned theirs for OEM one.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Self-installation

I forgot to mention that it's definitely worth installing the hood deflector yourself. There's just too much risk in scratching the hood or deflector if one isn't careful, especially for a rushed service tech. I don't even trust them to rotate my tires and always worry when they replace them or balance the wheels.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just privately purchased the hood deflector and need instructions. Can someone post or link me to instructions????
TIA!

-c dollar sign

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.