Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looking under the hood at all of the 35s during our events, we noticed a big difference between them and my 45. Well, I removed a piece out to allow more air( simply removed two plastic rivots) and viola open air to the filter.

Do you think this will make any difference?

Sorry for the bad pics, taken quickly with a phone camera. Before and After.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
On the 35 it's opened and called a power duct or something, right? So it stands to reason if you open up yours ( i didn't know it was closed like that) it should breath easier. How's she sound upon acceleration, any difference? Pop a K&N in, worked for jug.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slight more growl when you accellerate. If nothing else, it sounds cool.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The air intake on the 45 and to some degree on the 35 are very well designed.Picks up cold air off the front and runs it around to the air box.You will pick up more air but it may be underhood air.Absolutely not a negative and may be a plus Sound is a good motivator to get more done and do add the K&N

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brnjugfx45 said:
The air intake on the 45 and to some degree on the 35 are very well designed.Picks up cold air off the front and runs it around to the air box.You will pick up more air but it may be underhood air.Absolutely not a negative and may be a plus Sound is a good motivator to get more done and do add the K&N
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to actually take a few runs and see if I feel the difference at all. Dont really expect to , but like yousaid, the sound is cool

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Compare the weatherstriping gasket on the underside of your hood to a 35's hood. You'll notice 35 is contoured AROUND the power duct area to allow more air flow from the front between hood lip & grille opening when the hood is closed. Maybe you can slightly modify yours for maximum potential. Every little bit helps. Let us know. ... & hurry up already!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is definately different.

I wonder if it could have an adverse effect on the ride?

Meaning now, I have actually another hole that air can leak out of instead of ramming through the filter. If the space between teh hood is very small, then it may only want to go the opposite direction, out in other words.

Hmmm,

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Good point!!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GEAUX said:

Meaning now, I have actually another hole that air can leak out of instead of ramming through the filter. If the space between teh hood is very small, then it may only want to go the opposite direction, out in other words.

Hmmm,
The Z guys have always criticized the G35 intake for this exactly for that reason and believe it is best to only have one opening.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MustGoFastR said:
GEAUX said:

Hmmm,
The Z guys have always criticized the G35 intake for this exactly for that reason and believe it is best to only have one opening.
Thanks, NOW you tell me.

I think it is going back to normal tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, not saying they're right. Best way to tell is to do runs and see if it makes a difference or not. I have a feeling it won't make one bit of difference, and if not, I don't see any reason not to keep it open if you like the sound.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
esemes said:
try spraying water at the seam on the hood (with it closed, obviously), and see if you get moisture on the inside....

that'd be all i need to know...
common sense...I should use it sometime.

Thanks Ese, Ill go check it out. I am getting ready to go give her a bath.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the water test by the way.

Took a hose and pointed it directly in the hood crack just above the headlight where the intake is. High pressure sprayer.

Opened the hood. NOTHING, not a drop. So, it is safe to say that by removing the piece, I got NOTHING. Maybe a loss because air will escape instead of going into the filter.

So, piece put back on, scratched up and all from removal :?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Feel Proud because YOU attempted a possible break ground 45 mod. 8) Keep it up. ~ That beast MUST breathe, open up the exhaust and let 'er rip.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts