Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has any input regarding home theater equipment. I currently have a 65 inch wide screen rear projection tv and was using a Onkyo 919 THX 4.1 receiver. The Onkyo is a great unit but does not have the capability for HD input. Last weekend I bought a Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver that will handle anything I want to do.

Now for my question. I'm looking at adding a projection unit and 120 inch drop down screen. I will keep the existing 65 inch tv for normal viewing and use the projection unit for sporting events, movies, and other special events. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with projection units? I have a nice dark room, so ambient light is not an issue.

Any suggestions/input will be appreciated.

Thanks

John.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi, I've seen my Uncle's and it's not that great in picture quality. Go with LCD or DLP.

silverback said:
Just curious if anyone has any input regarding home theater equipment. I currently have a 65 inch wide screen rear projection tv and was using a Onkyo 919 THX 4.1 receiver. The Onkyo is a great unit but does not have the capability for HD input. Last weekend I bought a Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver that will handle anything I want to do.

Now for my question. I'm looking at adding a projection unit and 120 inch drop down screen. I will keep the existing 65 inch tv for normal viewing and use the projection unit for sporting events, movies, and other special events. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with projection units? I have a nice dark room, so ambient light is not an issue.

Any suggestions/input will be appreciated.

Thanks

John.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Go for it dude!
If you have a dark room and recourses to complete the project, it is definitely something you will not regret. As for projector, I would recommend DLP, it has higher resolution then LCD and with 120” screen you will see the difference.

Do you have good speakers? If not, I would highly recommend Energy Encore, great sound, and a good value.
And don’t forget to set the room properly. Rug on the floor and drapery on the walls will make noticeable difference. In the room with bare walls even the best speakers will sound like tin cans.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
My wife is an architect in a previous life (pre motherhood) and has installed these on several occasions and everybody is happy with them, but they're not cheap. DLP projectors are very sharp from resolution point of view, the rest of the picture of any projector is mainly dependent on the luminosity of the bulb. Which one are you looking at?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speakers are NHT's and are THX certified. While on the smaller side they produce great sound so I'm happy with them. I need to buy 4 more this weekend since the new receiver has nine channels. I'm currently missing the Front (L/R) Presence and Rear (L/R) Center speakers.

I'm currently looking at either a DXP-1, or DXP-1000 Yamaha projector. Both are DLP's and HD compatible. Just need to decide how much I want to spend.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my plasma and it's in an extremely bright room. The best resource I can offer for home theater info is http://www.avsforum.com . You'll find a LOT of info there.

Have fun![/url]

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Just being a butthead, here, but technically, theres no such thing as 9 channels or 7.1. :p The receiver may have 9 powered OUTPUTS for speakers (what, 2 sub outputs?) or have 7 powered outputs for speakers and one powered (or non-powered) sub output (the .1 in this case), but 5.1, 6.1, etc. refer to independent channels of surround sound present in recordings and what the receiver is capable of decoding. The whole number is the number of discrete channels of sound, while the .1 is sub channel. The highest it goes is 6.1 DTS-ES discrete (front L/R, Center, Rear L/R, Rear Center, and sub). Even though some receivers have powered outputs for a PAIR or rear center speakers and is advertised as 7.1, the same sound signal is output from each one, so even though there are 7 speakers in the arrangement, there are still only 6 discrete channels of sound. The other one is THX-EX, but it's rear center signal is a matrixed signal from the two rear channels and not it's own discrete track. Reletively few DVDs use either of these formats (but slowly becoming more widely used). I think the only audio recordings that use 6.1 are DTS, which are few and far between. SACD and DVD-A use 5.1. Just a little audio geek fun for all. :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a DLP projector set up in my apartment. I just have the Infocus X1, it's really good for a sub $1000. Now the X2 is out already.

If you have the extra cash, buy a better projector with better native resolution.

Nothing could beat watching the Red Sox whup on the Yankees on my 92 inch screen and HDTV!!!! Well maybe going to the game live! But hey! I can see everything up close on my own screen! :)

Definitely look up some sites which do reviews of the projectors. You get a lot of information from them.

DLP is great! Although make sure you do a test of one before purchasing. I read that some people will experience rainbowing (where you see rainbow effects on the screen.) Only some people and not all though.

Gd luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts