·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
nice. is that an OEM hitch?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice set up.
I'm looking into doing this myself, or a roof rack system.
If this is OEM hitch, how much?
Worry about using a non OEM bolt-on hitch, may effect the warranty??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is OEM hitch, I paid like $400 and install with my brother, it comes with instructions and all hardware, also $100 for OEM harness. DON'T MESS WITH AFTERMARKET HITCHES. OEM is like welded to the car basically, it has like 12 bolts comparing to 4 on UHAUL HITCH .If you have garage or car ramps and have some tools you can do it. It took me 2 hours, and 1 hour for harness, don’t mess with cutting wires, it’s not worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm getting this next. sweet. btw, i must agree with fx-1004, the color matching on the trim is gorgeous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great pix... I'm going with this as well based on the post.

Question though (the sales assoc couldn't help me, and I'm awaiting a call back from EMS)... I'm buying the rack, and the STL2... do I buy the lock cyclinders seperately? If so, do I buy 2 for the rack that matches the STL2, or do I need to buy 3 matching ones? Thule's website isn't that helpful, and the EMS assoc didn't know.

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally heard back... apparently, when ordering for EMS, they don't have a way of matching new cores to the STL2 til you get it home and submit another order. I just ended up buying a 4-pack instead. Oh well...

·
Registered
18 Posts
BTW, guys... just as a data-point... the pictures in the original pots has the front-wheel caddies installed backwards. You need to turn them around to help facilitate for the correct support of the arm. This results in the caddy closest to the car interferring with the rear bumper... take your dremmel, and trim it down an inch, and you'll be good to go. It'll be obvious once you install it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
timoha

Can you please some/send some picture of your hitch without the rack installed? I am searching for a hitch for my bike rack. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking into getting the Thule 916XTR T2 as well, but was worried about the clearance between exhaust and wheel caddies. My roadbikes have carbon wheels, and I've read horror stories of the exhaust melting them when mounted too close.

From your pictures though, it seems like there is decent spacing. Has this been a concern of yours, timoha? Wondering if you've felt the bike's wheels after a long ride and whether it's warm to the touch or not...

It seems like the Yakima Holdup hitchmount bends upwards a little bit, creating upwards clearance from the exhaust. Has anyone had experience with the Yakima Holdup?

Also, for either of these, anyone try them on a newer FX with backup sensors and cameras? Does the hitchmount make the car beep like crazy or get in the way of the backup camera at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Gx7NKKwOE

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
that's interesting. I have an OEM hitch installed on my 12 FX35 and I have the same Thule Rack. I don't think i can fold it up without it hitting my bumper.

But maybe its cause I have the 1st gen of the Thule T2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts