Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, went to GLD to get some baseline numbers for my 45.

My car has 3300 miles on it with the only mods being Eibachs and a K&N panel filter. Ran with 1/4 tankful, and did not remove anything from the car.

I did a total of three runs since I didn't feel like wasting my entire day at the strip and mine was the 3rd slowest car out there. (made me really wish I brought my Evo instead. Too many 13 sec cars out there to beat up on!)

Run 1: [email protected]
Run 2: [email protected]
Run 3: [email protected]

All runs were done with VDC off and powerbraking at ~2000 rpm.

Runs 1 and 2 were done in Auto shift mode; run 3 was in manual mode.

Run 1 with 34 psi fronts, 32 psi rears; runs 2 & 3 with 42 psi front/40 psi rear.

For all 3 runs, a 60' time of 2.2X secs (which is pathetic)

The slowest car I ended up racing ran 14.0x sec.

All three runs, I was ahead at the 1/8th mile point.

Temp: mid 60's, [email protected]~70%, 10-15 mph headwind.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My impressions:

First, the car has too much tire. Despite raising the air pressure, I couldn't get out of the 2.2 sec range for the 60' time. With some tire slip, I should be able to get the 60' time down to the 1.9-2.0 sec range. (FWIW, every 0.1 sec off the 60' time translates to about 0.15 secs at the 1/4mile time)

Second, in Auto shifting, the car shifted right at 6600 rpm each time. Not bad.

Third, in manual mode, I have to shift right at 6250 rpm because the shift delay will cause the rpms to bang off the rev limiter. When I tapped the lever at 6250 rpm, it would shift at 6600-6700 rpm. This makes me really want to try that Level 10 mod.

While there is no direct measurement for the 0-60 time, my impressions is that it is quite quick. I would dare say high 5's or low 6's. Why? because despite the crappy 60' times, I was ahead of every car I raced to the halfway point (1/8th mile), the slowest of which ran a 14.0x time (2 SRTs and a stang).

At the top end, the aerodynamic drag is just too much for the car. While it doesn't feel like it 'hits a wall', it certainly doesn't have as much oomph from 75mph upwards. Remember, my car is lowered, so it's worse for stock height FXs.

There's not much I can do to make the car slipperier through the air. So my only hope is to try and lose weight, specifically rotational weight.

18's will be better for the strip, so I'll have to try again when I put on my winter wheels. I was thinking about getting a cheapo set of wheels for the winter tires, but now I'm thinking SSR GT2's in 18x8.5. They weigh around 18-19 lbs each.

Plus, I'll probably go with some larger front brakes w/ 2 piece rotors for the weight savings.

It sounds crazy, but you can save 100 lbs of rotating weight. That alone is good for 0.4 sec off the 1/4 time.

I took a chance and bought an el-cheapo OBX exhaust for a G35/350Z. But looking closely at the details, the quality is amazing for the amount of money I paid. And it's a true 3" exhaust. I definitely have to extend the tips, but will have to test fit it to see if I need that G35 extension piece. The y-pipe and catback should be good for at least 20 HP on the 45 if it's true that the exhaust is the exact same as the 35. From my experience, 20HP is good for about 0.5 sec.

Hope this info helps someone, or at least, was entertaining.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for posting your results. Just a few questions...

Is the track near sea level...do you know the altitude? Any idea what the outside temp. was?

Don't know if you saw our previous track posting from Maryland Int. Raceway (there's a spreadsheet posting somewhere with the results)? All three of the 45s that raced that day had times near 15.0. I just pulled my slips out, and my best 60' time (2nd & 3rd run were identical times!) was 2.216 (2.235 for the 3rd run), which resulted in a 15.024 run at 92.14mph (92.35mph for the 3rd). This was with a half tank of gas, tires at 34PSI, near sea level, at about 60-65 degrees temp...auto mode, and powerbraking at ~1500rpm if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The temp was in the mid 60's. Humidity at around 70%

The elevation of GLD can't be much more than 200 ft ASL.

You trap 2 mph faster than mine, which would explain the 0.2 sec difference in ET. That corresponds to about a 20HP difference. With 20hp, you should be about 04.-0.5 sec quicker thru the traps.

Our 60' times are identical. Maybe there's a power difference between the 03's vs the 04's?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You'd have thought the lowering would've given you an edge :?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You may want to try that 1500 launch and get more converter flash.This motor makes power,you have to get up in the range to get to it...the exhaust will really wake it up too..It is all about fun with these...with the EVO,you would have to beat everyone...and might have :)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Back in the section on Level 10 mods.(still waiting on the Tech's)
If you brake stall a car,it will stall at 2500 like ours,the flash stall may be 2800-3000,but you only get there by stalling at 1500 or 2000 and the stall "flashes" to that higher level when you let off the brake and WOT it.Leaving at idle will also flash,but typically too low for the engine to come alive from the WOT.Less heat in the trans,motor and you can realize that higher #.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PINITI-FX said:
You'd have thought the lowering would've given you an edge :?
That was my hope. I figured I might gain a bit at the top end where aerodynamics comes into play.

I should also mention that I'm running a bug deflector, but I really don't think that it's harming the CoD of the vehicle; definitely not enough to offset any gains from the lowering.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the 15.2 sec time. This is a big station wagon, afterall. Plus it's as fast or faster than my previous daily driver, the Lexus IS300 w/ 5spd manual.

After hitting the track, I had to fill up for the drive home. While I've only used a 1/4 tankful so far, I have my best miles-to-1/4 tankful so far. I'll be at 105 miles. I usually average 80-90 miles.

Considering I had 3400 miles when I hit the track, the engine was probably still a bit tight. From the increase in gas mileage, the track use seems to have helped loosen up the engine.

I'll go back later this year, after an oil change and see if there's any difference. The only problem will be most likely, I'll have on the 18's w/ snow tires on. (which will be lighter and have less moment of inertia to overcome). So the times will definitely improve.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brnjugfx45 said:
You may want to try that 1500 launch and get more converter flash.This motor makes power,you have to get up in the range to get to it...the exhaust will really wake it up too..It is all about fun with these...with the EVO,you would have to beat everyone...and might have :)
I'm definitely gonna try launching at 1500 rpm next time.

You know what's sad is that I've owned the Evo since April of 2003 and I only have 3300 miles on it. I've wanted that car for so long and now that I've got it, I don't drive it! WTF.

And now that the new C6 is out............drool. That's the first vette that I _REALLY_ like the design of. No more too long front and rear overhangs. Actually looks like an import. 6.0L V-8 400HP naturally aspirated. And an interior that finally doesn't look like it came off of a Pontiac Grand Am.

The only thing I'm waiting for is chrome headlight surrounds (I don't like the current body color surrounds), and oh yeah, Z06 version. Then I'll slap twin Garrett GT35R's on it for a bit more top-end.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You are truly sick...welcome
I want a CTS-V auto in a blink!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts