Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys buy a 240,000 km FX35 for less than $10k Canadian?

I always wanted one but couldn't afford it. Now is the chance for me to get one, but with very high miles. How long will this engine last? Transmission? Etc?

Thanks
:?:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honestly, I dont think you will have an issue with the engine/trans if its been taken care of properly. Worst case, I'm sure you can get an engine/trans for no more then 2000$ US. I'd imagine your gonna have more issues with other parts of the truck, such as the sunroof, or power seat, or various electronics

·
Registered
334 Posts
240 km? and to think that I was worried when I bought mine with 55K miles. On the other hand as RPMsteve said; electronics might be an issue.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I don't necessarily agree that electronics will be an issue...I had an '87 Maxima for 22 years, and had no electronics problems whatsoever - no power door or lock failures, no sunroof failures (and no leaks), and the radio worked as well as the day we bought it. I had an '86 300ZX with the digital dash and power package, and had no problems at all in the three years I owned it. I'd be more concerned with corrosion if it comes from a humid market (Montreal, Southern Ontario, West Coast, East Coast) or from areas where a lot of road salt/chemicals are used. You didn't indicate what year this was, but with 240K KM this has got to be an '03 or an '04... have a look at all the unprotected bolts and hangers in the engine bay - that will give you a very good indication of corrosion. If you're paying <10K, as long as it's not weeping any fluids it sounds like it could be a good deal. That amount of mileage also may indicate a fair amount of interior wear and tear, but possibly only on the driver's seat. I did a brief search on Auto Trader and couldn't find anything with more than 152K KM, and that one was listed for $20K CDN...so it could either be a fantastic deal, or there could be something major wrong that you're not being told. It comes down to a mechanical inspection, and if it passes that, and if the interior is in good shape, I say go for it. The only issue I can see you having to deal with is some wear and tear to the exterior and finish, but that can be fixed or, at the least, touched up. There's a dumptruck full of info on this forum to help you with virtually any issue you have, and if you're the least bit mechanically inclined you can do a lot of the work yourself with the help of the DIY's here.

More information about the vehicle would also give the denizens here more opportunity to give you intelligent advice and opinion. Colour inside and out? Option packages i.e.tech, touring, etc.? Custom wheels? Mods?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
My dad's 03 fx45 has 150,000 miles on it, which is about 240,000 km, and everything except the engine has been broken or is started to break. The car still drives fine and my dad refuses to get a new car...It's far from dying, but all the little displays on the dash are always on (VDC off, AWD, engine light, etc.), the car take a while to start (but miraculously does so every time), and the leather is all sorts of messed up since Infiniti leather is basically the kind those $5 fake Gucci wallets are made of. his liquid copper paint lost all its gloss, his power seats stopped being power seats...yea, there's more wrong with the car, but that's the major stuff.

i think it's probably as bad as it could be, since my dad just doesnt take care of his car and leaves various liquids spilled over everything. Still, that orange beast is still running.

i say as long as it runs and shifts fine, just get it.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
enoh said:
i think it's probably as bad as it could be, since my dad just doesnt take care of his car and leaves various liquids spilled over everything. Still, that orange beast is still running.
Yeah, I would probably agree that your dad's FX has so many problems because he doesn't take care of his vehicle. I can understand a few electrical things going bad over the life of the vehicle, but certain things are simply due to neglect -- faded orange paint being an example. Can't blame that one on the manufacturer. And the VDC Off/Slip/CES lights being on, that indicates a problem with the vehicle's engine or something else. Obviously if he's driving the car around with those lights on, he could be causing more damage to the engine instead of having it looked at to figure out the problem. People need to understand that if you don't take care of your car with basic maintenance (car washes, oil changes, etc), it doesn't matter if you drive a Daewoo or a Lexus; eventually there are going to be problems.

Basically, your post has been a good pointer about what not to do. Thanks. :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I agree that you're PROBABLY ok with the car.

As for electronics and interior stuff, my wife has an 02 Maxima. We bought the car with 40k miles in 2004 and she currently has over 185k miles on the car. She beats the **** out of the car. Hardly ever washes it, spills crap inside and does a half-*ss job cleaning it, etc, etc. I've always taken care of the car mechanically though in terms of troubleshooting major problems and oil changes. So the engine and driveability are great (it needs a suspension but that's not a HUGE deal). Just this past summer I decided to do a MAJOR tune-up. Plugs, coil packs, belts, fluids all flushed, replaced rotors, installed ss lines, cleaned throttle body, changed dash lights, replaced fuel filter, took entire dash/console apart to clean, replaced a LOT of emissions crap (there's been a check engine light on for emissions for quite some time and I methodically troubleshooted and it kept pointing me in a new direction). I finally gave in (after probably $3k in parts and hours and hours of my time over 3 months) and we brought the car to the dealer for the final few items I needed taken care of. Another $1,500 and there's still the pesky check engine. The head tech at the dealer THINKS he knows what's causing it and wanted another close to $1000 but couldn't guarantee me it'd fix it. So, in the spring when she can drive her other car, I'm going to go back in and try to fix the one nagging item causing the check engine. A lot of the stuff I did was maintenance that probably should've been done over time and not wait until it had all accumulated. My advice would be to try to get service records and see what sort of "wear and tear" items have been replaced over the life of the FX. If, like my wife's Maxima, it had been driven and driven and driven and we'll get to the maintenance items later on, you may have some bills in store. I'd agree that you should bring it somewhere independent to have it looked over

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys , im was searching for an fx45 to replace my jeep ... i found one which is very nice .. 2003 fx45 with 65000 miles on it .. i checked on carfax , turned out to be that the mileage have been modified .. (127,000 mi) the interior & body of the car is just great .. when i knew about the mileage modification i decided to forget about it .. but i donno as long as the car is in good conditions do u think i must go for it ? thanks !

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
There are lots of used FXs out there without mileage problems. Pass on this one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Carfax showed a lot miles, but it still not actual. This FX might be 165k ;-) and someone rolled odometer down. Or simply replaced odometer due to accident. Stay away !!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you guys , i will just ignore this fx .. i think i shouldnt be getting a 2003 anyways .. 8 yrs old car . ill look for 2005/6 much better.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
ash said:
ill look for 2005/6 much better.
If you can afford it, get the 06... nicer interior...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a car for my daughter - 2003 FX35 with 118,000 mi. It was religiously maintained at the dealer. Inside and outside of the car is impeccable. Even the underside is clean! The only sign of wear on the interior is some leather sagging on the driver seat. As far as the leather quality, it has aged well. You could not tell that the car is 8 years old, much less has over 100k miles.

It is a testament to maintenance. I would not discount a high mileage car simply because of high miles. You need to assess what care the car has had.

But do not expect that you are getting a new car. After being in my garage a couple of days, I noted some oil drips from the rer. Turns out that the differential mount is leaking fluid and needs replacing - a $1500+ repair at the dealer. Nothing that needs to be addressed quickly. There are some folks on this forum looking at some alternative fixes for this. Even if I have to do this repair, I bought the car right and will still have gotten a good safe car for my daughter. :D

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
vincer77 said:
I would not discount a high mileage car simply because of high miles. You need to assess what care the car has had.
Agreed and I don't want what I said to be interpretted as staying away from a high mileage car. There are a variety of reasons to get the new model cars (interior refresh, standard vs options, etc, etc) but the mileage on the odometer I wouldn't regard as a specific reason for it to be a deal breaker. I know of several Nissans that are over 300 and even 400k miles. My track car has well over 200k and MANY of those are hard and abused miles at the track yet it keeps coming back for more as long as the car is maintained.

The fact that the mileage and the odometer do not match in the above post are my specific reason for saying to pass because you do not know what else they may be hiding.

In terms of the mileage, I've said MANY times that carfax is nearly useless and your best bet when looking at a car is to look the car over if you know what you're looking at or have someone who does know look the car over. In this case carfax raised a huge red flag in terms of mileage but I would certainly not rely on carfax to catch mileage and/or accidents EVERY time. On the 2-3 cars that I've "tested" carfax to see if it would pick up on potentially bad things, it didn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, i want first to apologize for mistakes, english is foreign language in my country (Sénégal, South Africa).
I'm about to buy a used 2007 fx35 with 150.000 miles. I'm scared about this high mileage, is it reasonable to buy this car ?
The vehicle was imported from us and have been used in senegal for to year, it looks good but i can't be sure about the quality of maintenance. My questions :
- how to check quality of maintenance ?
- Does often fx35 goes over more than 200 k miles ?
- At 150 k miles, wich préventive maintenance can i do ?
- Wich troubles are usual at this mileage ?
- For the same price, i can have a 2005 fx35 with 80.000 miles. wich is better choice ?
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
SENEGALESE FX35 said:
- For the same price, i can have a 2005 fx35 with 80.000 miles. wich is better choice ?
Get the lower mileage FX for the same price... however, there were updates made to the 06-08 FXs and if you sit inside, you'll see that the interior is slightly nicer than the 05...

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Quality of maintenance is tough. I've seen cars I thought were maintained and found more and more stuff as I work on the car. The fact that it was exported with such high mileage would raise a red flag for me personally. I'd find a shop VERY familiar with Nissans/Infinitis to look the car over VERY thoroughly IF I was going to move forward.

There are a handful of high mileage FX's. I think there is at least maybe 2-3 over 200k. With proper maintenance I have full faith they can survive 200k+. I have an 02 Maxima with that engine at 210k miles.

Preventive and maintenance is kind of hard to differentiate at this mileage. To me, it would be case-by-case and I would see what a thorough check reveals.

Usual troubles? Whatever wasn't maintained properly in the first place. Usually at that kind of mileage, I would expect

- 02 sensors replaced once and possibly even twice
- catalytic converter same probably only once
- alternator replaced
- belts replaced at least twice
- suspension probably replaced once and getting ready to be replaced again
- what condition are the tires?
- brake pads same as tires
- motor mounts are probably original and either need to be replaced or are very close
- MAF if it hasn't been replaced, I'd expect it would need it soon. In my experience with this engine, I don't believe that cleaning of the MAF really works
- a lot of the emissions stuff is probably not working properly but you may not really care about that. You might want to care though when your gas mileage goes downhill. Emissions stuff is expensive. I've replaced almost all of the emissions on the Maxima
- some of the front end rubber might be starting to wear too. That stuff, while not expensive, is just a pain to deal with and I think sourcing that stuff overseas may be tough

In my opinion, the lower mileage one is better. Traditionally the advice is to get a 2006 and up because they got a refresh but, in your case, you are overseas and sourcing parts will prove to be tough. It will also be tough to find a good shop to work on the car. Based on that, I would advise you to go with the 2005

1 - 20 of 33 Posts