Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a difference in performance with the high flow cats? Just like all of us, I'm looking for ANYTHING to give us a little more bottom end (without going to a V8) Also, how does the exhaust sound after putting them on? The sound of our stock FX35's,350z's are harmonically tuned to perfection, much like the tone of a 12 cylinder Ferrari or Countach. This tone is what attracted me to the FX35 in the first place. I don't want to lose it,just inhance it a little.
Is the $600 spent on cats a waste of $?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I don't think there are very many here at all that have the cats on the FX, so you're best bet for research is check out the G35 section of FA or the engine mods section of My350Z.com (my preference). The cats aree good for some low to midrange power and depending on which ones you get, sound nice with the stock exhaust (just adds a little extra something).

BTW, what cats are you looking at that cost $600? The Crawfords are about the best available as far as sound, quality and reliability and they are cheaper than that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
14 RWHP by itself? That sounds like a better deal than the plenum for about the same price!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Personally, I think 14RWHP is a bit ambitious; I'd think more in the 8-12 range. At any rate, the power is delivered in a different area of the powerband than the plenum (cats- mid, plenum- upper), so the two shouuld work together real nicely. A y-pipe helps quite a bit in the same range as the cats as well.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, there are two things to consider in CA: passing the sniffer test and passing visual inspection. I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket cats come with smog certs, but your car WILL pass emissions with them (our engines are very clean burning to begin with), the main thing is the visual. Cats like RT and Kinetix (which people have had failure issues with) will not pass visual inspection. Crawfords will.

·
Registered
92 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Personally, I think 14RWHP is a bit ambitious; I'd think more in the 8-12 range. At any rate, the power is delivered in a different area of the powerband than the plenum (cats- mid, plenum- upper), so the two shouuld work together real nicely. A y-pipe helps quite a bit in the same range as the cats as well.
You are right, 14rwhp is dependant upon combinations of other mods.... But the average is closer to about 10rwhp gain.... And you are correct, the Plenum will help a lot with the upper rpm, but the High-flow cats will increase hp from begining to end. At least it does for the 350 and the G35..... So a combo of both of those and a y-pipe + exhaust would make for a nice horsepower increase...... so if you open up one end, you really need to open up the other.... so i would always reccomend to you guys who are doin the different intake setups, to go for the plenum as well as an exhaust, making sure you include the y-pipe....

-Alex B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts