Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Few moths ago I replaced my RT cats with the Crawford ones since the RT ones were imploding after only few months of use. The C.Cats sound much better and I can not feel any power loss when I switched from the RT ones and I do believe they are adding power over stock (7-8hp?). The C.Cats look stock and the professional cat shop I went to get them installed told me that if I didn't tell them otherwise, they'd have thought that they were stock. Only problem with the C.cats is that under heavy acceleration from a dead stop, the left cat used to rub on the underside of the body which sounded bad so I went back to the shop and they banged on the body part where it was rubbing and created enough clearance so that they would not rub anymore. The hump/bubble were they were rubbing is part of the hallow under body and it was easy to bend inwards slightly with no adverse effects – the area of the under body that is closest to the left top part of the left cat. The right cat didn't need this special treatment. These cats do have a slight rasp for the first minute when cold but after that they sound great – 100times better or so to speak compared to the RT ones. I just hope they hold up better and it seems that they already have.

Edit:

Just came back from a two day trip to Vegas and along the way at different times I was cruising at 130mph with 4 people in the car and our goods while was not at WOT. One of the passengers was my gf's mother and she hates speeding but she didn't say a thing – it was rock solid.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Issa, I had the exact same problem and had to remove the heat shield from the left cat. Mine would rub under *any* acceleration, even with a torque strap.

The Crawford cats are not shaped the same as the stock cats. They are ~rectangular instead of cylindrical.

How do the Stillen FX headers differ from the Stillen 350Z headers? Or are they just marketing them as FX headers so that buyers will feel confident in their purchase?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that these look same as the FX stock Cats but rather as stock in general. I was concerned since I still want to pass smog check and unless they have another stock FX at the time, they wouldn't be able to tell that these cats aren't the real stock. Anyway, the shop I had these installed at also leveled the shield flat but didn't remove the shield.

The differences, if any, between the Z and FX Stillen headers would be answered better by Alex.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I just wanted to say that it's great hearing from both of you guys again. (and on the same thread no less) Been following your thoughts, & posts both here and F/A a long time and enjoy the tried (and re-tried) advice on all your sucessful heavy modding tips. Thank you and stop by (or speak up) more often, newbies would benefit greatly from it. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks PINITI-FX. Love the custom work you've made to your ride and I always enjoy your insights.

Anyway, hate to do this but I'm going to quote/correct myself:

IssaFX said:
Edit:
Just came back from a two day trip to Vegas and along the way at different times I was cruising at 130mph with 4 people in the car and our goods while was not at WOT. One of the passengers was my gf's mother and she hates speeding but she didn't say a thing – it was rock solid.
I should've said that she didn't say anything until we were less than 10 miles from her house when she finally said that usually she doesn't like being in a car for such long periods or when speeding but that my driving was so smooth and the car is so comfy that she enjoyed it and wouldn't mind doing it all over again. The majority of the time, the needle was north of 85mph and close to 100mph. A testimony to the FX, my driving or both? not really sure. :lol:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Maybe all of the above + you may've found the right Girl. :D Ring - A - Ding - Ding! - btw your help on the Stillen/JWT CAI was appreciated For cost reasons I didn't want to buy both set-ups, and was unable to get just a stillen (air box) seperate, temporarly going with JWT/Z-tube & crawford. All the other plenums seem to be pipe dreams for spring of '05. My exhaust guy wants to help with the CAI and get it on the lift to see what custom work he'd like to do with the exhaust (probably start with behind the cats first, is usually his style) Thanks for your compliments. 8)

·
Registered
176 Posts
IssaFX said:
I didn't mean to imply that these look same as the FX stock Cats but rather as stock in general.
My shape comment was to explain perhaps why it rubs on the car, whereas Kinetix CATs are cylindrical and may not require modification. In fact, I don't think they have a heat shield. But maybe that's what you meant by failing a visual inspection...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts