Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a hidden hitch on my FX35. I got it off of Etrailer.com for $179 shipped. It was a bit of a pain due to tight clearances, but for the most part it was pretty easy. I recommend getting a long ratchet extension and a good swivel for the rear bumper post nuts. Only minimal cutting was required for the down tube to clear the back of the bumper (which is completely invisible once the hitch is installed). I like the look of the hidden hitch because the cap they give you almost blends into the bottom of the bumper from behind. I ended up using the factor wiring harness which cost me about $100 from Infiniti-parts.com.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Interesting. I hear Hidden Hitch is the manufacturer of the OEM hitch. I have a question though, where is the actual receiver and what is shown in the pictures, a cap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the picture shows the cap on, covering the receiver end. Under the cap is an 1-1/4" receiver tube. I will try and remember to take a picture of the hitch with the cap off soon and post it for everyone. I am yet to tow with the hitch yet, though I plan to pull out the motorcycle trailer this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I have heard that the hidden hitch sits very close to the muffler/exhaust system. Did you have any problems with clearance and/or rubbing?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Ah yes, I now remember why I did not buy the Hidden Hitch, I needed a 2" receiver.

Be prepared for a lot of noise while towing. The trailer sits so close to the cabin of the FX that you hear every last noise it makes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the picture of the receiver without the cover as promised. I will let you all know how everything works after towing with it hopefully this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mikgyver said:
Yes, the picture shows the cap on, covering the receiver end. Under the cap is an 1-1/4" receiver tube. I will try and remember to take a picture of the hitch with the cap off soon and post it for everyone. I am yet to tow with the hitch yet, though I plan to pull out the motorcycle trailer this weekend.
1 1/4"? what are you planning to tow with that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am planning on pulling a 2 motorcycle trailer for my Harley's. I am not going to pull a big trailer, so it really doesn't matter to me. Also, you can get an adapter to make it 2" if you really need it to be 2". Most accessories like bike racks come in the 1.25" size also so it is no problem for me. Plus the ratings are just as good as the 2" curt hitch. The FX is not rated as a big hauler, and if I need to pull something big I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size drawbar drop did you guys get? I'm going to order the hidden hitch and would like to get the drawbar with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My hitch is no more, thanks to some dumb chick rear-ending me. Thank god I left in my receiver and ball since it saved my car from serious damage. I was hit so hard that the ball was pushed under my rear bumper. For the replacement, I am going with the OEM hitch this time due to the hidden hitch rubbing on the exhaust under load. The hitch was great with light loads, but terrible with my new boat. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
That chick or insurance is covering the costs, right? And did you check to see if any structural damage was done? If she hit you THAT hard, and the hitch is bolted to the frame, there might be some things that are bent or twisted...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts