Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new proud owner of a Infiniti fx35/touring and I am loving it!
I have a question regarding the trunk. When i first recived it, I remember the trunk opening without a sound. But this morning, I opened it, I can hear and feel the *thunk sound when I open it. Is this normal?
Im not usually this picky, but I love my baby so much I don't want any problems from the second day I owned it.
thank you-

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I opened it, I can hear and feel the *thunk sound when I open it. Is this normal?
The latch?

When you press the button to open the trunk, I only hear the latch make a small noise (mechanisim un-latching).

The truck opening up?

Mine is smooth and no noise.

Anyway, welcome to the club :D

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Welcome -

You might try very slowly raising the hatchback and see if there's any kind of a "catch" or "hitch" in the opening movement. You may be able to see a little wiggle in the hatchback at some point on the way up.

I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee that had what sounds like a very similar problem. About 1/2-3/4 of the way up it would "catch" just a little. You could actually see the hinge wiggle just a little bit at that point. It turned out to be the hydraulic cylinder on that side.
I kept thinking something was wrong with the hinge itself. There wasn't.

I worked some silicone spray into it a couple different times which worked quite well and then replaced it before I sold it. (When I got my FX)
I realize this really shouldn't be a problem with a newer vehicle, but as my dad used to say, "You trust your mother, but you cut the cards."

These aren't the strongest cylinders on the market, that's for sure. In the winter, they can be kind of sluggish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.