Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, All!

My name is Steve and I've been a fan of the FX45 since my father-in-law bought his 2003, which he still owns today! It only has 78k miles on it and is in almost perfect shape, given its age.

I'm interested in learning more about what kinds of aches and pains should be watched for on the "old girl," as he is planning to sell it off in December. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Glad to be here!
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
At that mileage you probably don't have much to be concerned about. Due to the age you likely have a bubbling dash which there is really no easy fix except a cover. Unless, of course, the dash has already been replaced under the extended warranty that Infiniti put out. Is your CD player/head unit still operating OK? The CD player will probably not last much longer before repair is required. If you even own CD's anymore.

The front wheel bearings are likely close to needing replacement if they haven't already been replaced. Your door lock actuators and window motors might start giving you trouble but, again, you're really light on miles so you may have a few more years yet.

Other than that make sure that your father in law keeps up with routine maintenance. I would recommend going early in mileage on maintenance schedules due to the age of the vehicle. Should run fine for a few years more without any major issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At that mileage you probably don't have much to be concerned about. Due to the age you likely have a bubbling dash which there is really no easy fix except a cover. Unless, of course, the dash has already been replaced under the extended warranty that Infiniti put out. Is your CD player/head unit still operating OK? The CD player will probably not last much longer before repair is required. If you even own CD's anymore.

The front wheel bearings are likely close to needing replacement if they haven't already been replaced. Your door lock actuators and window motors might start giving you trouble but, again, you're really light on miles so you may have a few more years yet.

Other than that make sure that your father in law keeps up with routine maintenance. I would recommend going early in mileage on maintenance schedules due to the age of the vehicle. Should run fine for a few years more without any major issues.
Appreciate the insight! As it happens, with the car living most of its life in Chicagoland, and most of that time was spent in a garage, the interior is immaculate - no bubbling dash, etc! I'm going to take a guess that he rarely used the CD player, so unless it's an age-related failure, it probably works fine, too! So far as I know, all the switch-gear also works fine. I'll mention the bearings to him. The car "lives" in Vegas now (three years since he moved it there) and when he returns in December I know he's planning to sell it. The replacement is a 2017 BMW X3 that is currently at his Chicago home.

Thanks again for chiming in - definitely appreciate any heads-up for stuff that should be checked out before he sells it!

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
From someone who owns the same car with same miles. Mine is mostly flawless too, but I do have the beginnings of the bubbling dash, Have already lost one door actuator, and now my steering column is starting to grind on the up/down retraction. But that is the only issues and my vehicles interior and exterior are pretty flawless too. I too will probably be selling mine this winter too. Wifey want something else. Mine is a FL vehicle and has never seen snow, etc.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts