Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought it from Jay I think his ID here is Carsunldt32

I sent him an email but don't know when he'll get it so thought I's seek help here I'm sure it's simple I'll paste what I sent and the issue!
But if you guys that have the answer please let me know so I can complete the install!

"First what bolts did you use to hold the Mid pip to the Muffler? I knocked the ones off of the factory exhuast of course they were spot welded so trying to tighten them on the the Nismo just cause them to spin, Should be an easy fix just buy new bolts and screws.

The biggest is the muffler is not bolting up right I think the passenger side of the muffler is hanging right but the driver-side is to short it looks like if it hung about 2 inches lower it would match the right side of the exhuast. This also would let me bolt the mid pipe to the muffler. ( I had to be at work so had to leave it that way) Needless to say it's loud not as bad as I thought but not pleasant without the muffler. What is a fix? I figured it would bolt right up. And the third hanger the one located towards the front on the passenger side wasn't even shaped for the FX's mounting point but I would think two and the mid-pipe should hold it!"

·
Registered
883 Posts
Cannot understand why all the issues. Nismo bolts up perfect to the FX, unless this system has been altered. Are you sure it's a Nismo for a 350? Maybe you need the mounting kit? I think it's about $75- at most any Nissan dealer. Might be worth your time to look into that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nice thought, but this isnt the case. We're all the same underneath as far as exhaust path is concerned. That includes 35, 45, and everything in between.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
You tell 'em dave.. you tell 'em master FX

:D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it solved it must have either gotten bent (the hanger) in the mail though the box wasn't damaged or in Jay's garage we just pulled it out and it fits now woohoo.

At first I thought it was quieter but when ya get on it it has a nice deep growl!

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. Gotta love the nismo note!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not as big of a change as I thought it would be but I haven't heard it other then from in the car yet either.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Glad to see you resolved it.
Did you go muffler only, or full catback?
& you're right it is quieter at idle & does not have that hollow VQ stock sound from a starting roll. That's what I love about it. But it does soun so sweet when you get on it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got from mid pipe back, So I need to decide who to get the Y pipe from.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try to take some tonight but don't remember where the computer cable for the camera is!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack.
My Muffler is going bad on my FX. (Sounds like some interior welds broke loose) Dealer wants $452 for the stock muffler and $161 labor to put it on. YIKES!! :shock:
SO, I am looking into the Nismo 350Z setup and I look at all the posts with interest. I was looking at the full system with Y tube. I know I need the G coupe midpipe extension. My concern is th muffler tips.

gq967, was the muffler already modified with the tips extended? I hear that the tips need a 3" extension to look right with the FX back end. For those with the Nismo muffler, is this correct? Aanyone have pics on the forum somehwere. I didn't find any.
My other option is to keep the stock Y pipe and get the HKS Legamax Mid pipe and muffler for the FX.
My biggest concern is sound. I really do not want a really loud sound. How is the Nismo inside and outside the car. Is there any resonance like the stock system? Anyone with experience, please chime in. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
GR8 FX said:
Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack.
My Muffler is going bad on my FX. (Sounds like some interior welds broke loose) Dealer wants $452 for the stock muffler and $161 labor to put it on. YIKES!! :shock:
SO, I am looking into the Nismo 350Z setup and I look at all the posts with interest. I was looking at the full system with Y tube. I know I need the G coupe midpipe extension. My concern is th muffler tips.

gq967, was the muffler already modified with the tips extended? I hear that the tips need a 3" extension to look right with the FX back end. For those with the Nismo muffler, is this correct? Aanyone have pics on the forum somehwere. I didn't find any.
My other option is to keep the stock Y pipe and get the HKS Legamax Mid pipe and muffler for the FX.
My biggest concern is sound. I really do not want a really loud sound. How is the Nismo inside and outside the car. Is there any resonance like the stock system? Anyone with experience, please chime in. Thanks
There are already a few threads covering this topic extensively.

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... mo+exhaust

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
GR8 FX said:
Dr.2K":9b2ge4ek] There are already a few threads covering this topic extensively. [url="http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6638&highlight=nismo+exhaust said:
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... mo+exhaust[/url]

Thanks Dr.2K. When I did the search I saw the 45 one but I didn't actually go in and read it. I guess I should have.
The other was not one I had seen when I did a search.

SO, anyone know a good muffler shop in North O.C. Cali that coudl do the tip extensions?[/quote:9b2ge4ek]

No problem, glad you found the information helpful. As for the tip extensions, any qualified muffler shop can do it. All theres to it is to cut and weld. The shop that did gtoDave's setup looks like it does quality work. It may be a bit of a drive for you but since they have already done one on a fx it may be in your interest to give them a call. From what I understand they are also able to do custom mandrel bends. Anyways good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, UNFORTUNATELY, the stars did not align how I wanted them to, kind of...
The good news is that Infiniti will be warranting the muffler and that it will be free to get it fixed.
The bad news is that Infiniti will be warranting the muffler and I will not be getting a Nismo exhaust system now. :? :(
If the muffler would not have been warranted, I was hoping to get in on that deal for the whole Nismo system from Performance Nissan for a couple hundred $ more than the stock muffler replacement cost.
Thanks everyone for the advice and help.
Maybe sometime in the future I will make the upgrade. Unfortunately at a higher const.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could you post a sound clip? I ordered the Nismo too : )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts