Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about posting in the General Section but since there are more visits here...

I recently did my oil change and according to me everything drained out. However, I have a feeling I might have overfilled it (Just those feelings you get once in a while and can't get rid of) I find the dipstick to be really hard to read. Do you measure the oild level up to the last place were you can see oil, or where the most oil is acomulated? Sorry if I am confusing but I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep if I don't find an answer!

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
particlefx said:
That dipstick is so stupid. Why did they make so many turns and twists in the path to the oil pan? Wish i could help you but I have a hard time reading it too. ::roll:
same here. when I'm taking the dipstick out, I hit the stick to the side of the intake often... they should've made it simpler to take that thing out/read.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
particlefx said:
That dipstick is so stupid. Why did they make so many turns and twists in the path to the oil pan? Wish i could help you but I have a hard time reading it too. ::roll:
I've been checking it alot for the past 20 minutes and I think I did overfill it by a little bit, I'll drain some of the oil tomorrow and check the measurment again. This is really the worst dipstick ever!

Is there anything I can see/hear/smell to know if I overfilled? Other than the stupid dipstick!

·
Registered
597 Posts
No kidding. This #$?! dipstick was probably designed by Ray Charles :roll: .
Dude, after you're done driving, park the vehicle on level surface and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean. Put it back in, then once again pull it out . The oil should be between H and L marks. BTW, Infiniti says - don't overfill.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I stated somewhere along the line I liked everything about this vehicle. I must have forgotten about the "the dipstick."
It has to be the worst design for an oil dipstick or any other kind of dipstick that's ever been made.
It's almost embarrassing to have a service station guy check it because they look at the car, know it must have cost a pretty penny, and then they try to check the oil. I generally checked it myself anyway, but always do now.
I usually have to pull it out and check it several times before I'm satisfied with what it's telling me. Ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
jorgemiranda said:
Is there anything I can see/hear/smell to know if I overfilled? Other than the stupid dipstick!
Well, you will notice a little motor vibration/rumble when you take off from a stop if you are over filled (even at the full mark on the dipstick). You should be actually between the full and add lines on the stick, or about 6.5 quarts on the 45.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
pudicus said:
...after you're done driving, park the vehicle on level surface and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean. Put it back in, then once again pull it out . The oil should be between H and L marks.
What he said, only as you're letting the car sit, pull out the dipstick and set it asside also, to allow any oil to drain from the tube, then stick it back in and take a reading. Not a quick process you can do at a gas station, but when I change my own oil and check it in my garage, this method gives me accurate results every time.

What is the capacity for the '45? The '35 is 5qts, according to the manual, but when I've had my oil changed at the dealer, they leave about 4oz in my 5th bottle (I take my own Mobil1 in to them). I guess this is to account for some oil left in the crank case.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
What is the capacity for the '45? The '35 is 5qts, according to the manual, but when I've had my oil changed at the dealer, they leave about 4oz in my 5th bottle (I take my own Mobil1 in to them). I guess this is to account for some oil left in the crank case.
3.5L Engine
5qt (4.7L) with oil filter change
4-5/8qt (4.4L) without oil filter change

4.5L Engine
7qt (6.6L) with oil filter change
6-3/8qt (6L) without oil filter change

I think your service guy is hoarding oil or not changing your filter. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.