Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing the 10K's. When im about to test it on the driver side first... I forgot the the passenger side ballast was not on. NOw that I finished installing the bulbs, I have no lights. Did i blew out a fuse? If so where and how to check and replace it?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Not positive the headlight fuse in in the same place, but it likely is. See this thread:
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... light=fuse

So you turned the lights on without one of the ballasts connected and neither came on? Id' think that would be no different than one of the bulbs being blown, but maybe not.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
fearFX said:
I'm in the process of installing the 10K's. When im about to test it on the driver side first... I forgot the the passenger side ballast was not on. NOw that I finished installing the bulbs, I have no lights. Did i blew out a fuse? If so where and how to check and replace it?
Are all of your lights not working? Low, high, turn, clearance?

Calgary Cheetah said:
Did you not disconnect your battery first?
Simply changing bulbs should not require disconnecting the battery? Like flipping the breaker in your house when changing a blown lightbulb? In my twisted logic, the headlamp power is switched so as long as it is off when you work on it, should be ok, no?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you turned the lights on without one of the ballasts connected and neither came on? Id' think that would be no different than one of the bulbs being blown said:
Thats what I did.

MGFR... I checked all the fuse it that location, all looked good. Other lights are ok except for the HID, no high no low... nothing.

Any more suggestions guys? Really need your help... good thing the FOGS still works so I can still get by driving at night.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Put your stock bulbs back, at least that way you can tell if your ballast or wiring to the balast is blown.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
if you havent disconnected the battery while doing this. try it now. disconnect, wait a few and then reconnect. that effectively resets a lot of the electrical settings. maybe something is stuck in a mode where it "thinks" the headlights are not connected.

other than that, i would take a compact mirror and check that the bulb are indeed locked in place properly by the springs and that node of the connectors came undone that live up in the light housing (i.e.. there are a few connctors there that seem like they could come loose easily. i had to push one of mine back together to make sure)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do all those Shady and Brad tommorrow its getting dark and cold out here. If my ballast is indeed blown can I just buy them at autozone?

And I thought it will be just a simple install... :(

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
fearFX said:
And I thought it will be just a simple install... :(
its funny. ive installed a sat radio and built my own sub woofer and disconnected that battery 50 times i bet...no problems.....but when i did the headlights and reconnected the battery, my seat took 2 days to start moving back again when i got out of the car (even though the settings said it would anyhow), and the airbag light was blinking, and my nav unit was acting funny.

after i ran that airbag reset though, all the issues went away.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Switched mine 2 times (stock to 6k, 6k to 10,000k) without any problems...
If you blew the ballast (I doubt it), just go back to your stealership and claim it failed on you ;)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
bradical said:
if you havent disconnected the battery while doing this. try it now. disconnect, wait a few and then reconnect. that effectively resets a lot of the electrical settings. maybe something is stuck in a mode where it "thinks" the headlights are not connected.

other than that, i would take a compact mirror and check that the bulb are indeed locked in place properly by the springs and that node of the connectors came undone that live up in the light housing (i.e.. there are a few connctors there that seem like they could come loose easily. i had to push one of mine back together to make sure)
This is what I would suggest as well, especially makeing sure the bulbs are installed properly and the balast is seated correctly and locked in place. One headlight WILL illuminate if there is a problem with the bulb or balast on the other side. If properly installed and connected and neither illuminate, it's a more complicated problem and a dealer issue.

As long as the switch is off, it is perfectly safe to swap the bulbs without disconecting the battery, but if the switch was on or turned on with a bulb improperly installed, it's possible something got blown or tripped, so first, put the stock bulbs back in, make sure it's all hooked up right, then disconnect the battery for a few minutes or even overnight to re-set everything (or do the ECU reset procedure). If that doesn't work, it's dealer time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked my ballast contact to the bulb and it was not sitting properly. Seems to be the top groove of the ballast is the one that locks the bulb in properly and not the side ones.

Thanks for all your help... good thing i decided to check that one first than having to discon the battery.

Hey atleast I know now where all the fuse are located :wink: ... thanks MGFR.

Now i cant wait to get dark and test my new BLINGS!!! :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix. 8)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Yes - happy to hear you are back in business...

But I have a question - assuming from your post that you found that only one ballast contact was not fully connected... and that caused both headlights to not function? How can that be, that a failure on one side would cause the other side to not work as well? This sounds like an old Christmas tree light set I used to have...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShadyJC said:
Yes - happy to hear you are back in business...

But I have a question - assuming from your post that you found that only one ballast contact was not fully connected... and that caused both headlights to not function? How can that be, that a failure on one side would cause the other side to not work as well? This sounds like an old Christmas tree light set I used to have...
I think both ballast was not fully connected...maybe thats why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts