Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Past three days, I got this "Disc error" sign on my navi twice. I basically had to put the disc in and out many, many times to fix(?) it. It happened about a month ago also. Has any of you guys had this issue? Any input will be appreciated. :(

Mine is '04 FX35 built in Nov. 2003.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No problems with the Nav disc. I've never had to touch it.
Have had a couple times where a CD wouldn't play, but others in the changer would.
That sounds like one of those troubles that stops happenning the second you drive onto the dealer lot.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
For about a week when I first got the car, it displayed "DVD-ROM version is not correct". I since verified that that was not the case and have concluded it was caused by disc read errors.

If you check the diagnosis menu, you will likely see that it is recording errors in its error log. I don't remember precisely what my errors said but they were something like "DVD Read Error" and were quite detailed; giving the time and gps location of each error too. If you take the car to the dealer, show them the logs if they give you any grief.

I wrote Zenrin (makers of the Nav software) an email and they said that the dealer would know how to fix it. :roll: Here is their resonse:

Please Contact your dealership and have them call their TEC-LINE. This problem can be easily fixed by them.

Thank you
Neeraj
Zenrin.com [[email protected]]
In my case, the error stopped so I never found out what the problem really was. I would guess it was some dust or oil on the disc or the sensor. Infiniti did issue a Service Bulletin decribing a slightly similar problem but it didn't apply to the 2004 models.

I'd recommend removing the disc and cleaning it with some mild dishwashing soap and water. Although you have never touched it, the dealer or other customers may have. But... if that doesn't work it's still possible that the disc was scratched or flawed in production. If so, you should have the dealer order you a new disc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had Disc Error in my FX (no Nav), the dealer pulled my changer out and put a new one in. Great service at Infiniti of Columbus.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FX Driver said:
I had Disc Error in my FX (no Nav), the dealer pulled my changer out and put a new one in. Great service at Infiniti of Columbus.
I just got back from 7,500 mile service and dealer ordered new DVD player. They were aware of the laser sensor problem. Service manager said sometimes it gets stuck and doesn't read the DVD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Today - on my 1600 2004 fx I received the disc error. I remembered what you guys wrote - to eject and put back -- well I did that - I have version 6.2 which made me happy - and - when I put the disc back I still got the disc error. I shutdown the car and restarted and the nav worked again. I suspect the drive is going bad as some of you have commented on - having it replaced by the dealer - the disc was perfectly clean. I'm keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RascalsObsidiansMaul said:
Today - on my 1600 2004 fx I received the disc error. I remembered what you guys wrote - to eject and put back -- well I did that - I have version 6.2 which made me happy - and - when I put the disc back I still got the disc error. I shutdown the car and restarted and the nav worked again. I suspect the drive is going bad as some of you have commented on - having it replaced by the dealer - the disc was perfectly clean. I'm keeping an eye on it.
Don't waste your time and have your dealer replace it. It may run ok now but it will get worse.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine just started going bad in the last month (just hit 7K miles this week). I previously owned an 03 FX35 and had the NAV player replaced in the first 100 miles. Sounds like these parts were provided by GM!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay -- today I had to reboot the DVD nav 4 times in 70 miles. I called the dealer and asked about the problem - parts manager said that they have seen it often and after running diags - usually just replace the dvd nav drive. I asked how long it would take - he said generally 1-2 days to get the part (from california - im in NJ).. I told him I heard they can get backordered ocassionally - he said usually they get them in 1-2 days and if backordered can take up to 3 weeks. So I have an appointment in 1 week with loaner (and no wash of course) ;) for them to replace the drive (no matter what their diags say)...

I have 1600 miles on the animal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts