Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been looking at this car for over 2 years now, but the price is a tad bit out of my range, for the time being. Im waiting for my local dealer to get some 2003 models in with high miles so that maybe i could then buy it for less or around 25k. The version i was looking for was the FX35 AWD in black base model. Not sure if they do that for the AWD version or not.
But I wanted to ask you all some things about it.
I read at a lot of sites that the AWD versions are not that good in the snow/ice, they say they still kick out the back end even in snow mode, is this true?
How Does it handle in the snow/ice?
And, did anyone go from the 18" tires to the 20s and see better handling, like taking corners and such?
And did anyone do a smart deal on any of these?

Thank you for your patience with my newbee questions, but I am so close to getting this car, i can taste it. I even bought a 2003 mazda protege 5 to save on gas, being its 4cyl and all. Ill use that MP5 as a trade in, that should help with the payments. But I still want to take more off the top, at least another 10k to soften the blow.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I have not driven my AWD in the snow yet so I can't answer your questions via personal experience, but from what others have posted the AWD does as well as most any AWD does in the snow. I'd be surprised if it got out of control in "snow mode" because it slows the throttle input rate a lot. 20 inch tires will improve handling quite a bit -- and if that's important to you than you should get the sports package too. I've got to ask though; are you sure you can afford this car? Having to save a few bucks on gas to buy an FX makes me think not. Do you like the Murano?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i say saving on gas, its not because im strapped, its because I need to save every little penny i can, to get this car sooner. Im far from broke or not well off. I could get this car new if I wanted to, with out cutting corners, but I really dont want to spend that much on it. I have seen many FX 2003 models go for close to 25k with miles up to around 40k on them. So, thats not too bad, if I wait it out a year or less, im sure ill find one for about 25k, and be able to trade my car in to help out. As far as the Murano, thats one ugly thing, sorry, no way will i go for that. I did say that the FX was my DREAM car, why would I want something else? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing I wanted to make clear, is Im not one to spend anything on a car over 20k, because i used to look at a car as just something to get from point A to point B, I was never into those sport cars, or modified cars, or any of that. This is the only time I ever wanted A type of car ever. I used to just go get the one with the best MPG vs Price with a great life expectancy. But I can not get this one out of my head, hehe. I just dont like spending so much per month, 700-600 a month is not right. But 400 or less feels nice. See, Im the person that would even go as far as to save up almost or all of the cash and go buy it out right. I would rather do that. But I have a car now, and could use that as a trade in and add some cash as well at this point, but I still want to make it even better by getting a used 2003, which will help even more. See, I didnt get all the things I have by spending my money like a mad man, I have TOO much control, so says my wife , hehe.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yo Babe, Plain 'N Simple. This Ain't Da right Ride fer you, Keep Dreamin' dude. Later!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hate to break this to ya, but this vehicle is by no means cheap to either insure, or fuel, or maintain. And Gawd help you $$$$$ should sh!t hit the fan after your warranty expired. With 40K miles on the odo that's likely to be less than a couple years away. You'd better know what you're getting into.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I dunno, sounds like you're penny pinching just to get a used 2003 base model with a lot of miles. You got defensive but your reasoning still makes me wonder if you will be happy with the cost of owning this car. For example, in addition to that mentioned above, you will also need new tires every one or two years -- and good 20 inchers can cost $1000 installed.

You might want to take a look at this: My 1st year ownership cost report

All in all it's your business, but you mentioned costs so try to understand that most of us are just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
yo Rahzek! I say buy a used one and just roll with the punches.

I been saving and investing my money for 8 years and have been dreaming about this thing since it was released in 03. I am getting one in May and no one can stop me :p

But yeah, you should mos def check out cost of ownership, cuz once u go FX u enter the big leagues in terms of insurance and all that. I didin't even kow you have to get new tires every year or two !? I have never even heard of that on a car before! Where have i been :shock: I have only gotten new tires on my current 92 jeep grand cherokee one time in 8 years and it was this year.

"$5153.63" :shock:
I'll just pretend I didn't hear that and keep dreaming about spending money on mods :p

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
contaygious said:
yo Rahzek! I say buy a used one and just roll with the punches.

I been saving and investing my money for 8 years and have been dreaming about this thing since it was released in 03. I am getting one in May and no one can stop me :p

But yeah, you should mos def check out cost of ownership, cuz once u go FX u enter the big leagues in terms of insurance and all that. I didin't even kow you have to get new tires every year or two !? I have never even heard of that on a car before! Where have i been :shock: I have only gotten new tires on my current 92 jeep grand cherokee one time in 8 years and it was this year.

"$5153.63" :shock:
I'll just pretend I didn't hear that and keep dreaming about spending money on mods :p

Thanks man. I will get one some day, and it will be used, thats for sure, but even used, Ill love it just as much.
The tire thing, im used to, i have a mazda protege 5, and have to change out the tires every fall for new ones. They are pirelli snow sports, good for cornering, and the snow as well. But that wear like mad. They are H rated, so they shouldnt, but they do. Who knows, hehe. The insurance wont be an issue either, i make over 60k a year, and my wife 40k a year. But, even if i made only 40k a year and nothing else, i would still get this car no matter what. I just dont like spending so much cash, its scary, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts